Pentium D review on AnandTech (Update: Gaming Test Included)

lopri

Regular
one of the most impressive piece of hardware reviews I've encountered.

Shortly after receiving the dual core system from Intel, I posted a question in my blog asking AnandTech readers to respond with how they multitask. I kept the question pretty open-ended, just wanting to get a feel for all the different types of multitasking that this sample of AnandTech readers did on a daily basis. I then took the data and did my best to, in the limited time that I had, model some real world multitasking benchmarks based on the responses. The results are three real world, multitasking benchmarks with the promise of more to come.

The biggest commonality between responses was that AnandTech reader systems, much like my own, are loaded with applications running in the background. So, the first thing that I did to put together our multitasking testbed was to put a ton of applications on it, the type that we all use.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2388

Update: AnandTech now has the 2nd article comparing gaming performance of Athlon 64 and Pentium D. It seems like the choice is no brainer at this point. (Until AMD introduce its own dual core CPUs) Shame on the *Fanboysim* of the Inquirer reporter.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2389

Well, it looks like the Pentium D/840 did (predictably) better than their single-core counterparts, but no single-threaded apps were tested. I guess it's not needed, but it seems kind of obligatory for CPU (p)reviews. The most interesting part, IMO, was his talk about pricing and availability WRT manufacturing power. AMD might get seriously screwed if they can't keep up with Intel's dual core pricing and availability. Either that or we'll (as consumers) get screwed with AMD holding dual core development back a la NVidia/FX.

Oh ya agree with that rant... It wont be worth it until the dualies hit .065 micron next year sometime...

nutball said:
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=22332

8)

damn, i just wanted to post that..... and i agree with that 100%.
i havent read any of reviews, but i think this time INQ is right on the spot.

I pretty much disagree with the Inq:

On multitasking and multithreaded apps, they will shine like the sun, but how many of these are there? How many times do you encode a movie while typing a document, zipping your C drive, doing some heavy CFD work all while listening to a few MP3s?

Not too often...but only because my system would be that much less responsive / slow.

If I could reasonably game while I was actually enconding video...I would probably do it. I don't do it now...because I can't.

silence said:

I've been trying to guess who the two sites are that he has a go at. I'm pretty sure one is THG, the other... Anand?

nutball said:
silence said:

I've been trying to guess who the two sites are that he has a go at. I'm pretty sure one is THG, the other... Anand?

It's Anand, but THG tells me nothing.

probably Hocp and 18 windows at one time while playing CS and encoding DVD :D or some such thing...

I still remember their Hyperthreading article where the gfx card was most likely overclocked to give higher gaming scores... :LOL:

it is actually good that Intel launches Dual processors first as they will create all kind of useless crap to promote it, which in this case is good in the long term, AMD doesn't have enough experience with hyping up. Here they will probably jump in with their processors after Intel raises the profile to the whole Dual Core on the desktop case.

My primary reason for interest in dual core systems isn't gaming. I appreciate the fact that games must be optimized a great deal before we will see any benefit, and I suppose we are getting our chicken with the new breed of processors, and that we will get the egg with next gen games or at least some time into the future.
I do a whole lot of Photoshop work, and my workflow includes batch processing of a lot of RAW imagefiles as well application of various filters to batches. This absolutely kills my CPU. In some cases I have had to set the batch routines to run when I am away, or overnight, like people do with their 3DSMax or Maya renders..
To be able to use my computer for report writing, viewing TV, Timeshifting TV or webbrowsing/newsreading without severly degraded performance while letting one core chew numbers wuld be a dream come true..
I also currently have my CD-collection digitally archived as FLAC-files. Storage space is not an issue, but transferring music to my mp3player requires some conversion. I currently keep a cache of my most frequently used music files in mp3 format on the harddrive, but I often have to convert a lot of files over a short period of time, and there dual cores would help again..

However, if the first dual core processors sacrifice a LOT of "gaming performance" to get their advantage, I'd probably hold out one more generation to get a more optimized, better performing CPU. I don't upgrade very often as it is :)

I read the Inq's rant with great interest. There are a lot of valid points there, although their total write-off of dual core processors seems like a bit of a hasty conclusion.. That we as consumers need to be a bit more critical to what we hear (and what we don't) from the largest review sites, is a point that needs to be taken seriously. I won't throw any rocks, but I don't find it unthinkable that certain early review samples come with some "instructions" to the reviewer.. I'd prefer the whole truth :)

K

Joe DeFuria said:

On multitasking and multithreaded apps, they will shine like the sun, but how many of these are there? How many times do you encode a movie while typing a document, zipping your C drive, doing some heavy CFD work all while listening to a few MP3s?

Not too often...but only because my system would be that much less responsive / slow.

If I could reasonably game while I was actually enconding video...I would probably do it. I don't do it now...because I can't.
I think people also tend to underestimate how much multithreading is going on in Windows even without typing, zipping, listening to MP3s, etc.

Joe DeFuria said:

Same here, i don't do that now cause just encoding a movie with DIVXtoDVD sucks all my CPU time. And even browsing the net becomes problematic sometimes. All while listening to MP3s in the meantime.
A dual core would make my life so much easier...

No mention of heat output/cooling requirements whatsoever in Anand's article. Honestly - not even a single word that I could see.

Personally, considering the problems we've seen with Prescott, I'd have thought that some mention of heat dissipation of the dual-core chip would have been made. I suppose Intel wouldn't have allowed any of this type of testing for the special 'preview', however.

I think AMD's dual-core will be much more appealing since from the early reports there will be no clock-speed sacrifice on the dual-core versions. Pricing is still up in the air though.

There are some that will find good use in a dual-core. I'm not one of them. My machine is primarily a gaming rig and I don't do anything with video at all. For general multitasking even my lowly AXP has been more than sufficient - it can handle music, archiving and web-browsing with ease.

Mariner said:
No mention of heat output/cooling requirements whatsoever in Anand's article. Honestly - not even a single word that I could see.
Yeah, there should be some mention of heat output and cooling of some type...unless they didn't want to show any possible negatives in their preview. :rolleyes:

BTW-Congrats on the 1,000 post mark Mariner! :D

Problem? What problem? My CPU is cooled with a very un-fancy what looks like a die-cast aluminium sink, no heat pipes at all, etc. Ran two instances of CPU burn-in on it with throttlewatch going in the background as well; no problems whatsoever. Overall system temp remained basically the same, or that's what my vidcard thought about it anyway.

People keep perpetuating this damn MYTH about prescott, it's really annoying. :?

Guden Oden said:
Problem? What problem? My CPU is cooled with a very un-fancy what looks like a die-cast aluminium sink, no heat pipes at all, etc. Ran two instances of CPU burn-in on it with throttlewatch going in the background as well; no problems whatsoever. Overall system temp remained basically the same, or that's what my vidcard thought about it anyway.
Then they should have mentioned that heat wasn't an issue.

I didn't say it was a problem, I just said they should have brought it up since it was a concern to some.

Please don't bite me, I didn't mean to insult Intel this time. :?

digitalwanderer said:
BTW-Congrats on the 1,000 post mark Mariner! :D

1,000?!? Oh thanks - I think.

I'm surprised I have so many to be honest as I rarely have anything worthwhile to say. ;)

Guden Oden said:

People keep perpetuating this damn MYTH about prescott, it's really annoying. :?

I'M SORRY - CAN YOU SPEAK UP - I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF YOUR COOLING FANS.

Sorry, only kidding. :devilish:

If, like myself, you have an interest in Silent cooling of PCs (or at least as close to silent as is feasibly possible) then heat dissipation is extremely important indeed. The baking hot Prescott chips (and I expect Pentium Ds) are impossible to silently cool - not the case with current Athlon64s.

If you're not bothered about your PC making a racket then fair enough, but please don't criticise those who are. :)

If you're concerned with your PC making racket, it's time to stop air cooling. My generic POS water cooling rig is keeping my voltmodded unlocked overclocked X800Pro Vivo and my overclocked 3.0C at better temperatures than ANY air cooling I've ever strapped to this thing, while being notably quieter.

In my aircooling days, I went through several very high-end heatsinks, multiple types of large-cfm low-db fans strapped to fan controllers, hand-built ducts to properly manage air flow, you name it. The best setup I came out with was relatively quiet, but the CPU would load up to around 44c and the GPU would hit ~65c in my room.

Enter the $100 watercooling world. A cheap Via Aqua 1300 pump from a local retailer, a used Maze-4 for the GPU, a used DTek WW block for the CPU, a 9.5"x5"x2"heatercore I bought from a guy who was reworking them on OCForums, a bunch of hose and clamps from Home Depot and a weekend to throw it all together. I reused my four Denki 120mm's to pass air through the heatercore... (two pushing from one side, two pulling from the other)

39c load temps on my CPU, 41c load temps on my GPU, all with the fans running at 7v. At this level, my pair of 250gb WD drives are making more noise through the little silencing box I built for them. If I run the fans at 5v, the temps raise to 42 and 45 respectively, at which point the refridgerator in the kitchen two rooms away makes more noise.

And when I buy a Pentium-D, I may need to keep the fans at 7v and swap for a better/different CPU cooler, but $5 says it'll be damned-near silent and much cooler than anything that anyone will pull on air.

Back