[PC] Grand Theft Auto IV

I got very high settings and modded for even more but damn this AA mod at 3360x2100 res downscaled to 1680x1050 gives me about a constant 15fps. Guess the VRAM is way to saturated. Though looks really sharp.

however I noticed his mod also changes colorgrading/adds colorgrading and gives a different bluish tone which IMO looks like shit. Those warm fussy sunset lighting colors are gone and night fall looks borked. The game also gives crash message when exiting game. This is not for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm STILL like at 7% on this game. Dunno, seemed to have lost interest. Maybe i liked seeing all the GTA style stuff, thinking more was possible, interaction wise? Like with Vice City. Still i enjoyed failing to interact in Vice City (got me started gaming hard)

I have to agree there Cartoon Corpse. The city feels kinda empty for it's size. But perhaps I have just been in the wrong place at the wrong time. There might be lots of events, eastern eggs etc I missed.

I got very high settings and modded for even more but damn this AA mod at 3360x2100 res downscaled to 1680x1050 gives me about a constant 15fps. Guess the VRAM is way to saturated. Though looks really sharp.

I'd be more willing to bet that the framerate dive has to do with the way ENBseries intercepts and modifies calls on the fly... There's obviously just a limit to how fast it can all be done. Even if you disable pretty much all of the fancy effects ENB can add, enabling it still causes a massive drop.

Nice to see he finally got it working in fullscreen though. HD5870x2 Crossfire with downsampling, anyone? Should be able to provide moderately smooth framerates.

Can't even play this. It works at first, highest settings 26fps, lowest 33fps so its obvously CPU limited but its enough for me to play. Unfortunately after 5 to 10 minutes the game turns into a very slow slide show, about a frame every couple of seconds. I've tried installing all the latest frameworks, DX, GFW, newest drivers ect, nothing fixes the problem. Four updates in and this problem is still their, which I find completely ridiculous.

If you have high texture settings the game might leak. Try medium settings and/or lower detail sliders to have VRAM counter in the 'green'.

I've got a ATI 3870 512MB so its in green at high. However I tried setting everything to lowest and even using the special memrestrict command to set textures to the absolute minimum and the problem still occurs.

How can this game still look basically the same as previous releases, yet require so much more horsepower?

Well it does render a lot farther out and more. Though it seems like an afterthought port of console version with upped detail. I'll bet it can be far more optimised and DX10 would had helped it out a lot. If not solely for AA support.

Well i finally got this game to about 20% (opened up algonquin area (sp?)). This game seems to be a pale relative to its predecessors. So much scripting in missions. WAY too many cutscenes and loading screens, controls seem wonky, can't change weapons at times (in missions). car handling isn't even close to 'real'...most cars, it's like im riding on ice. oh, don't remember if this was always this way, but accessing the map is via ESC key? Can't get dough off of beaten up pedestrians? no hidden packages? I have to BUY all my ammo? Where's the gambling hall where i can rack up a million $? It has SOME of its good, traditional points, but sheesh. gameplay has suffered IMO.

I remember having, usually, more options in missions, approach, etc. seems like almost every mission is HARD (case of shooting about 20 armed people)

It just seems like perhaps rockstar has lost it's great developers/directors, and all that remains are kids or something.

Oh, and even on low (ish) settings on my rig (fx60,x1900xtx,2G ddr) if my car goes over 30, the game can't draw the road in front of me anymore.

Well i finally got this game to about 20% (opened up algonquin area (sp?)). This game seems to be a pale relative to its predecessors. So much scripting in missions. WAY too many cutscenes and loading screens, controls seem wonky, can't change weapons at times (in missions). car handling isn't even close to 'real'...most cars, it's like im riding on ice. oh, don't remember if this was always this way, but accessing the map is via ESC key? Can't get dough off of beaten up pedestrians? no hidden packages? I have to BUY all my ammo? Where's the gambling hall where i can rack up a million $? It has SOME of its good, traditional points, but sheesh. gameplay has suffered IMO.

I remember having, usually, more options in missions, approach, etc. seems like almost every mission is HARD (case of shooting about 20 armed people)

It just seems like perhaps rockstar has lost it's great developers/directors, and all that remains are kids or something.

Oh, and even on low (ish) settings on my rig (fx60,x1900xtx,2G ddr) if my car goes over 30, the game can't draw the road in front of me anymore.

Yeah the game is definitely very poorly optimised on the PC. I can't wait to give it a well deserved ass kicking when my new rig arrives :devilish:

For the record though, there are hidden packages (pigeons) andyou can collect ammo of downed enemies, I very rarely had to buy it throughout the whole game. Iactually found the car handling very good too but that was using a 360 controller. If your using keyboard / mouse then thats probably the issue as the handling was designed to work with the controller.

Im in the No. 1 mission now..bout like "teh driver" in vice city. this game has clunky controls. even the performance cars handle NOTHING like reality or even movies. it's like im on ice (to one degree or another)! Bowling does NOT work for me. Cheats don't even seem available (i would use them) though i have NEVER used one in a GTA title b4.

WAY too many cutscenes. WAY to much REPLAY (travel). I think Rockstar has become tired and lazy and "paint by numbers" (like a kid). Im guessing this is due to throwing away their talent as if they were expendable. Though could be, existing talent is too tired.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just launched GTAIV and noticed a quite big perfomance improvement. I dont know if it is becouse of Cat 9.10 and/or DirectX11 update + Vista patches that came with the DX11 update.

I now get around 40fps and even in hectic situations it goes around 30fps. And that is at 1680x1050, everything on very high/highest aswell as draw distance 40, detail distance 80, car amount 35. Only thing off is the enhanced lights (upto 16 shadow casting lightsources) becouse it is PC exclusive feature and it doesn't enhance enough to be worth the minus ~5fps.

Add to that I have 33% longer draw/LOD distance for car drivers and people. I also run it in Vista x64 so I get all features enabled like HQ mirrors (-forcehighqualitymirrors). Also I have custom draw distance for world. Default games is at max settings for view distance 2x2000 units. I have it fixed at 2x3500 units so the whole city is completly visible from any angle and part.

To test perfomance a bit more I upped draw distance to 100, detail distance to 100 and car amount to 100. That is extreme settings and surprisingly it ran at 25-30fps with heavy parts at 20fps (few) and that was when it was daytime and raining (even more taxing)!

My PC has owned this games butt big time. (E8400, HD4890, 8GB RAM).

I also noticed better perfomance in several other games and in Crysis/Warhead/Crysis Wars etc the CPU usage is higher than before + more perfomance. Heck ~40-50fps with 4xAA 1440x900 very high + 1536x1536res shadows in Crysis Wars!? :eek:

Oh yeah I almost forgot, this weather mod seems quite nice. He ups draw distance to 2x3500 units and tweaks the weather file for more natural lighting colors etc. I didn't use his motionblur part as I find my own settings very good but use WinMerge to compare files (freeware).

I also set my saturation to 50% becouse I found it a bit to strong by his settings and balanced the contrast and brightness for my monitor.

http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=397854&st=0

Back