[PC] Grand Theft Auto IV

Nebula, could you please take some comparison shots of some shadows with different settings?

Thanks, dawg. :)

Unfortunately this doesn't control sahdowmap res, atleast not for the global lightsource. Though the shader file shadowsZ.fxc does have a line for shadowmap resolution. Unfortunately it is a compiled HLSL shader and thus it would need to be decompiled. This is way beyond my capabilities! :mad:

Apart from IMO great gameplay this is an excellent game to listen to music while cruisng and thinking about ideas!

Some tips.

Disable the extra shdow settings by pulling the slider to 0. These are exclusive PC version extra shadow casting lights. For example car headlights and streetlights cast shadows. I found that I got down from 50fps down to 30fps by just adding 1 shadow casting lightsource (my car headlight at night). And from 1 to 16 shadow casting sources down to 25fps (?). And IMO it looks worse becouse shadows cast are shimmery and ugly!

Settled for detail distance of 50%, really slick at night with all lights and stuff at distance and still 30-60fps (and 25fps choke points, I guess VRAM choke points)! :D

Must say I am satisified right now, Did blow up 5 police cars and 2 civil cars and wild gun fight in city central point with lots of cars and peds. And when all cars went off into a huge fireball I got 20-25fps!

Just found out about the GPS, nice. Also the hooker services are quite graphical! :oops: :twiddling thumbs:

I'll admit, I'm in love with the expanded cell phone use in this game....it just works. :)

I am to lazy to search it up in the manual (if it's even there :rolleyes: ) and there certainly is no key mapping for it in the menu. So how do I get out of the damn cell phone menu? :devilish:

EDIT: OK sorry found it in the Liberty guide instead of the Survival Guide. Page 6, Backspace or ESC? ESC sure doesn't work but I'll test backspace next time.

I bound one of my mousekeys to "backspace" just because it was too much of a pain to reach that far over, the game improved like 300% for me after that. ;)

I answer the phone with "z", get the menu by hitting "enter" (also bound to me mouse), and back out of their with "backspace". You can scroll through menu options with your mousewheel and choose with "enter".

(digitalwanderer pets his Revo lovingly)

Yeah I need to remap some commands to my 2 extra mouse buttons.

So whats up with Roman and that Rasta dude, are they gay or?

They keep calling me to ask me out for a "date" a LOT! Hmm now that i think about it maybe it's that perfume I bought...

Dont want to turn them down but today I drove 3 times in a row (1 Roman, 2 Rasta guy) when they called me right when I was going to enter secondary house to save. Long way to pick them up... pffff...

Finally I managed to save when i took Roman back to the crib where I crash to! lol

If you don't hang out with them, you will lose respect and they will like you less. Roman will let you get free taxi rides and Little Jacob will sell you guns cheaper than the store.

In other words, ditch 'em! :devilish:

Roman isn't so great, but Little Jacob definitely is worth it. Some things he sells for like less than half the price. But yeah, GTA's the man-date game.

You can turn off the dates via your phone, though there are some story events that are triggered via the phone, so the story won't advance.

If you don't hang out with them, you will lose respect and they will like you less. Roman will let you get free taxi rides and Little Jacob will sell you guns cheaper than the store.

Do they stop calling after X amounts of dates?

Becouse it gets kinda irritating having several phone calls per game day. Starting to fell like a dating simulator.

Using only -availablevidmem 2.5 in my commandline.txt

Statistics
Average FPS: 42.13
Duration: 37.43 sec
CPU Usage: 54%
System memory usage: 76%
Video memory usage: 74%

Graphics Settings
Video Mode: 1920 x 1080 (60 Hz)
Texture Quality: High
Render Quality: Highest
View Distance: 78
Detail Distance: 50

Hardware
Microsoft® Windows Vista" Ultimate
Service Pack 1
Video Adapter: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series
Video Driver version: 7.14.10.630
Audio Adapter: Speakers (Creative SB X-Fi)
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (3.2Ghz)

File ID: benchmark.cli

I'm seeing only 3Gigs used of my 4GB system memory on Vista64.

Not sure, I didn't think to check that.

But about 30min into gaming I'm getting some horrible HD paging going on and going to have to find another tweak i think.

Just picked up this game today and am trying to see what setting will work best. That one seems to be fine for running the demo and playing for a few minutes, but anything more with that setting is going to be a no go.

But about 30min into gaming I'm getting some horrible HD paging going on and going to have to find another tweak i think.

I got it a few times. It's when the RAM is all used up on the system. Superfetch building up a large cache of data used from GTAIV, the game having leaks or tehgame having problems flushing out old cached data?

Just picked up this game today and am trying to see what setting will work best. That one seems to be fine for running the demo and playing for a few minutes, but anything more with that setting is going to be a no go.

You need to chose options that lowers the RAM usage and thus cache amount buildup. Draw distance has a large impact. A settings of 20-50% should be quite good with 4GB RAM. Detail distance to, 10-50% I'll would recommend.

I play myself with the following system and settings.

E8400, HD4870 512MB, 4GB RAM and Vista x64.

VRAM report override with multiplier 3

1280x1024

Textures - HIGH
Render Quality - Highest setting

Draw Distance - 50
Detail Distance - 50
Car amount - 20
Additional Shadows - 0

It all depends on how many places I visit. The more the quicker the cache grows. It still takes some hours but it gets there. Try to disable antivirus realtime scanner and/or exclude GTAIV folder from realtime scanning.

Right now it seems like a leak or bad cache management (GTAIV and/or superfetch) as it adds and adds but doesn't flush out "old" data.

And the GTA4.exe process itself somewhere around 1GB?

Staying around 600MB for the process itself. Game eats up the RAM to around 3.2GB leaving the rest for the OS as the OS runs like a dog after exiting out of the game.

Right now it seems like a leak or bad cache management (GTAIV and/or superfetch) as it adds and adds but doesn't flush out "old" data.

I'm starting to notice cache / paging / memory issues no matter what settings I select, just seems to come down to settings determine how long I can play before they occur. The higher the settings the sooner it happens, but if I keep my game within the memory confines of my vid card without any command line tweaks, it takes a few hours of playing and it still happens. I start to get texture popping, textures shimmering, missing, and other oddities that require a shutdown of the game and restart.

Playing on a Q6600@3.2Ghz / 2GBx2 1066 DDR / HD4870 512MB / XFi XtremeMusic PCI / 250GB 7200RPM SATAII w. 32MB Cache main drive / Vista64 SP1

Using the 08.12 Cat drivers, up to date audio, motherboard drivers.. etc..

Rest of my games play like a dream, this one plays nice for a little bit then starts running like crap.
Thinking about selling my 4870 512MB and getting the 1Gig version, but not worth the hassle for just one game.

You could try this (I am currently trying this).

Create a txt file and name it commandline and put it in the GTA IV game folder. Inside this file put the line,

-noprecache

I think the noprecache command makes stuff load when you turn around.

Back