PC Gaming Market breakdown or something *spawn*

It will be interesting to see how the lower end RTX and RDNA2 cards age.

When PS4 launched a 750ti was more than enough to match/beat its settings and performance, now a 750ti is useless and can't get close.

So I'm curious how the RTX2060 will age compared to PS5/XSX, will it still be enough to match them in 3-4 years time?

750ti (kepler) was going for a different direction than AMD's compute/async (GCN arch). AMD's counterparts from that time era aged much better (they called them for fine wine).

RTX gpu's will age very well.

Well I'm not afraid to say I could be wrong, but I can't help feeling there's a lot of pent up demand for more affordable, high performance cards. Performance per dollar is worse than before next (current) gen consoles launched and I think that has to hurt.*

Anecdotally I've seen this, but anecdotes are only that!

*Edit: the £100~ £500 range I typically look at has seen the value destroyed, and second hand prices are up massively. Not only is performance / $$ not improving (as is historically the case, and and still is with consoles), but it's got worse. I don't recall seeing that happen over a multi year period before.
I couldn't agree with this quote more! I have no statistics either but tons of anecdotal evidence that this is true just from being on the boards the last couple of years. If there is suddenly a couple of great value GPUs coming out, something in the $200-300us range that kick arse in performance, then I think you will see a huge surge in the building/upgrading of gaming rigs.

I know I will be. My lil 8GB RX580 has been a hell of a trooper, but I'd planned to upgrade over a year ago..it's just there's nothing that's worth the asking price out there for me yet.

It will be interesting to see how the lower end RTX and RDNA2 cards age.

When PS4 launched a 750ti was more than enough to match/beat its settings and performance, now a 750ti is useless and can't get close.

So I'm curious how the RTX2060 will age compared to PS5/XSX, will it still be enough to match them in 3-4 years time?

As @PSman1700 said, Kepler was basically the pinnacle of last generation tech at the time it launched with very poor compute capabilities vs GCN that was very forward looking in that respect. So it stands reason that over time it would have fallen behind.

Turing is basically the opposite story. As RT and ML become increasingly more common, Turing advantages over RDNA2 should extend over time.

Obviously that will be countered by the older PC architecture falling out of driver and developer support though.

Case in point, we're almost 4 years into Turings life right now and in the ever more common RT enabled games the 2080 (roughly a spec match for the PS5) is showing no signs of letting up on its domination of the current gen consoles.

How was 750Ti fairing at the 4 year mark?

Obviously that will be countered by the older PC architecture falling out of driver and developer support though.

Case in point, we're almost 4 years into Turings life right now and in the ever more common RT enabled games the 2080 (roughly a spec match for the PS5) is showing no signs of letting up on its domination of the current gen consoles.

When driver support stops for a certain GPU, theres likely not much to be improved anyways for the select GPU. My GTX670 got supported for over 8 years (2012 to 2021).
The PS5 is actually between a 2070 and 2070S in raster performance btw. Below that in ray tracing, and way below when dlss is considered. Though the latter is often not considered something to benchmark.

750Ti was Maxwell BTW. :)

That's a good point and probably explains why it's holding up as good as it is, not being hampered by Keplers backwards looking architecture. That said it's still a sub 1.4TF part with only 86GB/s of bandwidth and 2GB of video RAM so why anyone would expect it to be keeping up with the PS4 in modern games that are designed to extract every last bit of performance out of that system I don't know

Dont thinkso, il side with kingston's statement that PC gamers are eager to upgrade and usually dont want to be stuck at console quality in games.
What consists of a PC gamer is way too broad to be meaningfully specific about their tendencies. There are those you describe but there are also those who think its more than enough. And I wouldnt be surprised if the latter are significantly larger

Back