Paramount to unleash tons of HD DVD *exclusive* titles!

I think as long as HDTV figures continue to rise, and available titles continue to rise, there will be buyers.

Tho some people wonder if some parties (MS? On-demand HD cable people like Comcast?) would like to see a stalemate so they can come in with online distribution of HD movies instead and take proprietary hardware out of the equation entirely.

A long term war benefits digital distribution the most.

For the studios they'd love DD. All the DRM in the world and no manufacturing costs.

Frankly, this war should have been avoided at all costs but it clearly was not. I can't fault either side for continuing at this point.

If MS is willing to drop that kind of change to keep HD DVD in the game, it's going to be hard to see them off. But I still don't predict B-r being "seen off" either. It likely means its just that much more a possibility we'll buy a cheap HD DVD player after Christmas to complement our B-r player.
Its not a given that it comes in the form or hard cash - it may the the case that some / all of it comes in the forms of licensing rebates, etc. if it is the case.

I dunno, seems like pretty good decision to me. Paramount and Dreamworks get a big payout now and if HD-DVD fails, they can just release all their movies on Blu-ray later. If blu-ray fails they are already on the right format.

or the reailty, they sacrifice both and risk losing out on a smaller slice of a pie that is orders of magnitude larger ;-)

or the reailty, they sacrifice both and risk losing out on a smaller slice of a pie that is orders of magnitude larger ;-)

how do they sacrifice both? missing out on the current massive blu-ray sales that account for less than 1%?

The reality is content providers can cynically afford to play games. They'll still own those libraries. They aren't going anywhere. It's the hardware guys with the sunk costs who are frantic their investment doesn't become worthless.

The reality is content providers can cynically afford to play games. They'll still own those libraries. They aren't going anywhere. It's the hardware guys with the sunk costs who are frantic their investment doesn't become worthless.

Yep. It's cash for these studios now (assuming that it was a payout as DB mentioned). Later on, they can easily switch to BR if that proves to be the winner. I'm also assuming that the payout only stipulates a limited time window AND an exit strategy if BR kills HD sooner.

... sources have given me updated details which show the HD-DVD side is paying through the nose -- I'm told $50 million to Paramount, and $100 million to DreamWorks Animation -- to try to show the strength of what we all know is a dying format.

Sources are telling me these moves are "really out of desperation" by HD DVD and "a cash grab" by the studios.
I agree with those sources :smile: ...
[ http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/ ] ...

I agree with those sources :smile: ...
[ http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/ ] ...

Paramount just ended on deal with Sony and Started a new one with the HDDVD camp. $150 Million seems pretty cheap to me, although it's probably more than Paramount would have garnered in profits on either of the HD formats in the next 12 months.

This entire battle is doing nothing but destroying both HD formats. At this point I think the best they can hope for is Laserdisc levels of acceptance.:cry:

Laserdisc didn't have better displays helping to push it. More and more people will have HDTVs. More and more people will recognize that their new DVD's of the third season of [insert favorite TV series here] will look worse on DVD than when they watched it live at 1080i. So I think HD is here to stay and will continue to grow. Just not as fast as it might otherwise.

Laserdisc didn't have better displays helping to push it. More and more people will have HDTVs. More and more people will recognize that their new DVD's of the third season of [insert favorite TV series here] will look worse on DVD than when they watched it live at 1080i. So I think HD is here to stay and will continue to grow. Just not as fast as it might otherwise.

On the other hand when the figure out that 29.99 dollar disk won't play in the car or bed room dvd player will put people off. I still think including the DVD version with the hd version along with better player pricing would help the HD formats to explode. There are so many people with 2,3 or 4 dvd players it is not even funny. To convince those people to spend 500 dollars to replace each player or buy movies 2 times is not going to go over.

I hope this news forces sony to get off their asses and release a entry level blue ray player matching the price of the A series.

Hasn't Sony done this from the beginning?
Check the quote again , " we all know is a dying format " do you think this fits on Blu-Ray right now ?.. Sales charts show us Blu-Ray outsolds HD DVD every week ...And, do you remember NPD report about "Next Gen Functionality & Usage" ?.. %60 of PS3 users even don't know they have Blu-Ray ...

You can't even show me a single report that shows HD DVD is in front of Blu-Ray when it comes to sales ... So , as said in quote ; " these moves are "really out of desperation" by HD DVD " ...

You can't even show me a single report that shows HD DVD is in front of Blu-Ray when it comes to sales ... So , as said in quote ; " these moves are "really out of desperation" by HD DVD " ...

You realise that your quote is speculation? Irrespective of whether it may be reasonable speculation, it is just that. It is also speculation that there are multiple incentivisation deals that have gone in behind the scenes to get Blu-ray support to where it is (with reason enough that the EU are investigating Sony over it).

As for sales - the figure that I don't believe has been bested yet, is the sales of HD DVD standalone players has constantly been better than Blu-ray, which what is cited by Viacom/Paramount in this release.

On the other hand when the figure out that 29.99 dollar disk won't play in the car or bed room dvd player will put people off. I still think including the DVD version with the hd version along with better player pricing would help the HD formats to explode. There are so many people with 2,3 or 4 dvd players it is not even funny. To convince those people to spend 500 dollars to replace each player or buy movies 2 times is not going to go over.

I hope this news forces sony to get off their asses and release a entry level blue ray player matching the price of the A series.

A few HD-DVD titles are combo titles (HD and dvd on one disc).

Hasn't Sony done this from the beginning?

Sony has no money. Fox wanted security while Disney wanted that plus superior technology.

Also how do you explain Matsushita, Pioneer, Sharp et. al? Sony paid them too? The industry chose Blu-ray. The other choice was a continuation of the current status quo with the patent pool dominated by Toshiba and Warner.

AlphaWolf said:
how do they sacrifice both? missing out on the current massive blu-ray sales that account for less than 1%?

This decision only serves to prolong the format war, by still giving HD-DVD a lifeline, by doing that they will never allow HDM to achieve minimal mainstream acceptance, therefore they are sacrificing the likelihood of a standard being developed.

That standard could have been a unified format. That disappeared because Toshiba did not want to cede its disc structure back in May 2005. HD-DVD's chance at becoming that standard disappeared with it, since a BD drive was announced for PS3 back in 2004 and confirmed in 2005. The PS3 is never going away, even doing the numbers it is today it will sell 20million units guaranteed over its lifetime. Toshiba even realised this eventuality as referenced by the conciliatory tone of their top brass around the time. Then Microsoft stepped up to play spoiler. (Link)

A software market generates more revenue for content makers if there is a common standard. For the consumer, internal competition between hardware makers and content providers will serve to reduce prices in the long-run. A format war is simply detrimental to the establishment of a new market and destructive to the CE business model. There is always a balance between consumer and producer surplus.

I do wish Matsushita-san never sold his part of Universal. This crap would have long since been over in 2005 had that been the case.

Personally I was looking forward to Transformers on Blu-ray. I'm not buying a player for that one movie though.

Given comments by Paramount executives that they didn't think either format would ever become a standard it does make sense that they took the money. However what doesn't make sense is the belief there will be a new disc standard to come in and replace these two when they die. There won't be. Not for a long long time. This is why if Blu-ray fails at achieving 90:10 then the idea of a HD optical standard for the next decade disappears.

Glad to see Mr. Spielberg wasn't bribed.

If MS is willing to drop that kind of change to keep HD DVD in the game, it's going to be hard to see them off. But I still don't predict B-r being "seen off" either. It likely means its just that much more a possibility we'll buy a cheap HD DVD player after Christmas to complement our B-r player.

Microsoft paid out no money for this according to Amir.

Of course that doesn't mean Toshiba didn't open its wallet.

Sony has no money. Fox wanted security while Disney wanted that plus superior technology.

Also how do you explain Matsushita, Pioneer, Sharp et. al? Sony paid them too? The industry chose Blu-ray. The other choice was a continuation of the current status quo with the patent pool dominated by Toshiba and Warner.

Payoffs don't necessarily come in the form of cash.

This decision only serves to prolong the format war, by still giving HD-DVD a lifeline, by doing that they will never allow HDM to achieve minimal mainstream acceptance, therefore they are sacrificing the likelihood of a standard being developed.

That standard could have been a unified format. That disappeared because Toshiba did not want to cede its disc structure back in May 2005. HD-DVD's chance at becoming that standard disappeared with it, since a BD drive was announced for PS3 back in 2004 and confirmed in 2005. The PS3 is never going away, even doing the numbers it is today it will sell 20million units guaranteed over its lifetime. Toshiba even realised this eventuality as referenced by the conciliatory tone of their top brass around the time. Then Microsoft stepped up to play spoiler. (Link)

A software market generates more revenue for content makers if there is a common standard. For the consumer, internal competition between hardware makers and content providers will serve to reduce prices in the long-run. A format war is simply detrimental to the establishment of a new market and destructive to the CE business model. There is always a balance between consumer and producer surplus.

I do wish Matsushita-san never sold his part of Universal. This crap would have long since been over in 2005 had that been the case.

Personally I was looking forward to Transformers on Blu-ray. I'm not buying a player for that one movie though.

Given comments by Paramount executives that they didn't think either format would ever become a standard it does make sense that they took the money. However what doesn't make sense is the belief there will be a new disc standard to come in and replace these two when they die. There won't be. Not for a long long time. This is why if Blu-ray fails at achieving 90:10 then the idea of a HD optical standard for the next decade disappears.

Glad to see Mr. Spielberg wasn't bribed.

During the period of limited adoption (ie Now) the content delivery companies have very little on the line. Blu-ray sales are anemic and HD-DVD sales are worse. All the content delivery companies can flip flop as they choose when the mood suits them with almost no impact to the bottom line. Until you see sub $100 standalones adoption was always going to be slow regardless of a unified format or not.

Back