Over 500 NV40 GPU's to be working at E3

Wow, if that's true I might actually be....*gulp*.....WRONG! :oops:

Nah, couldn't be...they probably just stuck nVidia stickers on some X800s.... ;)

Stryyder said:
Wow if the 6800U beets the X800 XT to market that will be very interesting.

Don't think it will.

They'll probably both hit at about the same time. I've heard that ATI is basically just "waiting" for the 600 Mhz ram so they can ship....and I'd figure at best, nVidia is in the same position, given that review boards went out with overclocked 500 Mhz ram.

The real question is when will nVidia start shipping the GT (or vanilla 6800 for that matter.)

Joe DeFuria said:
Stryyder said:

Don't think it will.

They'll probably both hit at about the same time. I've heard that ATI is basically just "waiting" for the 600 Mhz ram so they can ship....and I'd figure at best, nVidia is in the same position, given that review boards went out with overclocked 500 Mhz ram.

The real question is when will nVidia start shipping the GT (or vanilla 6800 for that matter.)

I guess the 800+Mhz Micron RAM will be for an ATI refresh later in the year?

John Reynolds said:
Stryyder said:

Not really. It was announced weeks earlier and nVidia has been consistent in saying late May.

I was hearing a lot of FUD about Late June/July.

Stryyder said:
According to NVIDIA they have been able to provide over 500 6800/NV40 level cards to developers use at E3.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040510/sfm132_1.html

Isn't that a lot of cards for something that allegedly is not in full production yet?? Also some stuff in there about games that will eventually feature PS 3.0 support etc etc.

I guess this explains why we can't find any, the devs have all of em :D

Stryyder said:
Trust me you were not the only one.... P.S. when do we start seeing E3 coverage show should be start right now correct??

Well, the "show" starts tomorrow (Wednesday), though there are "conferences" that start today. The "real show" coverage won't start until tomorrow.

Evildeus said:
Yeah that's what i thought. But i think Albatron is supposed to released this week or next week...
*edit* here's the link
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20040509151725.html

It seems to me that I recall when I bought my GF2 that nVidia was claiming all over the place that it was shipping because a few of them showed up in a few stores in Taiwan. Fact was that it was nearly exactly 60 days later before I could buy mine in the US, and I bought one of the first versions of the GF2 that shipped in the US that year. The old, "We're shipping when we're shipping to five stores in Taiwan" ploy is a bit long in the tooth these days--at least I certainly think so...;) Ship 'em to Best Buy, nVidia, and then we'll talk about "shipping."

Actually, the press release only mentions them being 500 GeForce 6800 GPUs. It says nothing about them all being 6800 Ultra models. The only mention of the 6800 Ultra is for HP debuting its Compaq X Gaming PC. There is no evidence stating that all 500 GeForce 6800 GPUs being of the Ultra variety or 500 of the systems being the Compaq X Gaming PC. But the press release does state one thing for sure (bolded for emphasis)...

For the show, NVIDIA has also teamed up with HP to debut its new Compaq X Gaming PC -- a new desktop PC designed for high-end gaming -- that will be on display in various publishers' booths throughout the show floor. Slated for availability in July, the customizable Compaq X Gaming PC will be among the first wave of PCs to feature the combined processing power of the GeForce 6800 Ultra GPU and NVIDIA® nForce(TM) 3 250Gb media and communications processors (MCP).

Back