Open Office 2.0

http://weblogs.java.net/blog/xiaobinlu/archive/2005/08/perception_real.html

Should explain a few things about Java memory usage.

OOo is great. Java is not used much throughout the suite as I read from the OOO forums. You can disable the Java startup in Tools > Options if you think Java is slowng OOo down. I have quickstarter enabled and the graphics cache set to 64 mb with 8 mb memory per object as well. OOo starts up instantaneously...after the first time. I usually hibernate my machine so startup then is not a problem in OOo because it remembers that it had been started at least once.

Also there are a few great threads at OOo that would explain why OOo is as clunky as it is. Cross-platform compatibility was the main point and not performance apparently. Annoying but that is the truth. Also since Google has loaned out a few programmers to work on reducing memory usage and increasing performance on the suite, things can only be looking up for OOo users.

Sure not as polished as MSO but it is a great replacement nonetheless.

Quitch said:
If you think that's nippy, you've been using nothing but Java recently (or badly written apps :)) As someone said, look at uTorrent. That is a good comparison... in fact, compared to any other BitTorrent client Azurues is slow (and memory hungry).
That's because it's loading up a lot of stuff otherwise. I think it's retarded pointing to one programing and not counting the shared libs that it's using and then looking at another and counting them. As for memory usage over time, you do realize that the protocol uses a crap load of buffers right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Saem said:
That's because it's loading up a lot of stuff otherwise. I think it's retarded pointing to one programing and not counting the shared libs that it's using and then looking at another and counting them. As for memory usage over time, you do realize that the protocol uses a crap load of buffers right?

It's still slow, and it still uses more memory than most (all?) of the other clients. For something that I want in the background, this is not a good thing.

Back