Official Tokyo Game Show thread

london-boy said:
Same here, i think Sony prefers to show something when they know it will WOW people. There is little sense in showing crappy half-finished game running on non-final hardware. They do not represent the final game, not even close, so there's no point and could actually have adverse effects, with people making up their minds having seen crappy unfinished material.
From a PR point of view, better wait, hype people like crazy, then show impressive stuff which will be close to the final versions.

Yep and is incredible cuz with movies alone they make the day,in alot of peoples eyes that MGS4 movies beat anything the Xbox 360 has show,even that is not gameplay Sony does know how to steal the thunder from MS console.

I hope that when they show playable games they look like the movies.

Uncle said:
Are there even mockup PS3s around? I'd like to hear what people thought about the controller.
At the show they have the controller labelled "conceptual design". They have obviously taken the negative feedback to heart.-story and photo

Just got done watching the MGS4 movie...

WOW!

I dunno if this has been posted yet, but you can find links to download the movie at this site:

http://boards.ign.com/message.asp?topic=98895484&replies=12

Sorry, I dunno how to make a link so you'll just have to copy and paste. The movie is taken by a camera in the audience so it's not as good as it could be, but definately worth watching anyway!!!!

PS3 in the spring, or summer '06

I've been following these threads for a while now (as well as the silly "RSX has taped out" threads). I find it very difficult to believe that the PS3 will hit the market until fall 2006. Here's my reasoning -- feel free to correct me.

1. From all accounts, the development kits out there are based on a version of Cell and a GeForce 7800. There are no Cell + RSX kits out there.

2. RSX has not been discussed anywhere where a die shot has been included.

This leads me to believe that the RSX has not come back from Toshiba. If this is the case, how many revisions will be needed to fix any latent issues:

1. How many 90nm designs has Toshiba taped out? How many are this large?
2. How many revisions did it take for the original XBox? This is a good metric for figuring out how many it will take for the RSX. I think in "Opening the XBox", (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...104-6552062-2394329?v=glance&s=books&n=507846)
mentioned three revisions.

Assuming the RSX tapes out today, it will take 2 months to get prototypes, 2 months of testing to find the first round of bugs and tape out a second revision, 2 months to get back the second revision and another round to get back the final revision. At this point Sony can pull the trigger to build a production run.

That's 10 months from today before production can begin. Then there's the latency to produce, test and build the quatity needed for launch. Let's say that's 2 months.

Back of the envelope, we're looking at 12 months from today before I can play MGS. That's the end of September!

Am I insane?

Edited for spelling.

Last edited by a moderator:
coredump said:
Am I insanse?

Maybe a little bit. :p

I don't think it takes a full year between tape out and mass production, unless there are huge problems with it (like R520 style problems, but we haven't heard of any of that so far). Sony seems to think it will have Final dev kits out by December, which should mean soon after they should be able to start mass production (maybe starting in january to build up supply? not sure)..

And, is Toshiba fabbing the RSX? I thought Sony was at their new fab?

Yes, where does Toshiba fit in? I thought they were pretty much sidelined this time around with Sony handling as much as possible in fabbing parts.

Toshiba

Shifty Geezer said:
Yes, where does Toshiba fit in? I thought they were pretty much sidelined this time around with Sony handling as much as possible in fabbing parts.

From the nvidia PR (http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_21111.html)

"RSX will be manufactured at Sony Group’s Nagasaki Fab2 as well as OTSS (joint fabrication facility of Toshiba and Sony)."

I believe that Toshiba is acting as the foundry for sony/nvidia (they provide the cell libraries, etc.).

In any case, the point I'm trying to make is this: It's in Sony's best interest to FUD as much as possible to prevent more xbox 360 sales. One of those tactics could be "we're going to have the PS3 for sale in the spring". *If* my prediction above holds true, then they have a real problem. How are they going to counteract a year without a competitive product? Is it worth it to sacrifice their standing with the consumer for more sales down the road? If I was Sony, then the answer is a resounding 'yes'

coredump said:
I've been following these threads for a while now (as well as the silly "RSX has taped out" threads). I find it very difficult to believe that the PS3 will hit the market until fall 2006. Here's my reasoning -- feel free to correct me.

1. From all accounts, the development kits out there are based on a version of Cell and a GeForce 7800. There are no Cell + RSX kits out there.

2. RSX has not been discussed anywhere where a die shot has been included.

This leads me to believe that the RSX has not come back from Toshiba. If this is the case, how many revisions will be needed to fix any latent issues:

1. How many 90nm designs has Toshiba taped out? How many are this large?
2. How many revisions did it take for the original XBox? This is a good metric for figuring out how many it will take for the RSX. I think in "Opening the XBox", (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...104-6552062-2394329?v=glance&s=books&n=507846)
mentioned three revisions.

Assuming the RSX tapes out today, it will take 2 months to get prototypes, 2 months of testing to find the first round of bugs and tape out a second revision, 2 months to get back the second revision and another round to get back the final revision. At this point Sony can pull the trigger to build a production run.

That's 10 months from today before production can begin. Then there's the latency to produce, test and build the quatity needed for launch. Let's say that's 2 months.

Back of the envelope, we're looking at 12 months from today before I can play MGS. That's the end of September!

Am I insane?

Edited for spelling.

i surely can believe this. afterall , sony promised first a worldwide release of the PSP...
look howlong the EU has waited.. 10 f*ing months! after the japan release

Supposedly PS3 was going to be making its first showing in final form to dem MGS4 - i.e. Cell and RSX (a test RSX, perhaps). That's the rumour that was going round, wasn't it?

Didn't that happen? I was under the impression that NVidia has finished RSX and it's now just a matter of getting the production up to speed.
Jawed

Jawed said:
Supposedly PS3 was going to be making its first showing in final form to dem MGS4 - i.e. Cell and RSX (a test RSX, perhaps). That's the rumour that was going round, wasn't it?

Didn't that happen? I was under the impression that NVidia has finished RSX and it's now just a matter of getting the production up to speed.
Jawed

From what I've read MGS4 was shown on one of the big ass PS3 dev kits (the beta kits) -- the final kits are rack mounts (at least they were in the pictures Sony showed). Final kits are not due til december (says Sony). I don't think RSX will be in there until december, just a 7800 card (which, by all accounts, is almost exactly the same archectecture wise).

Okay, so let's start a poll. When do you think the PS3 will be available? Let's use the Japanese date.

I'm voting for September

coredump said:

I'm pretty sure I've seen the number 2007 somewhere related to MGS.

On the topic of PS3 release; I also think it's going to be at least 12 months until it lands here (Europe). May launch for Japan? Not sure either...

Bobbler said:
From what I've read MGS4 was shown on one of the big ass PS3 dev kits (the beta kits) -- the final kits are rack mounts (at least they were in the pictures Sony showed). Final kits are not due til december (says Sony). I don't think RSX will be in there until december, just a 7800 card (which, by all accounts, is almost exactly the same archectecture wise).
Yes, final kits are aimed for December. There was recently on this forum a photo from a Sony event showing a timeline.

coredump said:
Okay, so let's start a poll. When do you think the PS3 will be available? Let's use the Japanese date.

I'm voting for September
I voting for a worldwide release by the end of the summer of next year. I doubt Sony has the time to underestimate Microsoft at this point in time.

Back