Official Tokyo Game Show thread

They're talking about DS at the moment, about the "touch generation" and games like Nintendogs and brain training (Nintendogs has past 1 million in Japan ect)

IGN "feed" thus far:

Keynote begins at 7:00 PST.
IGN editors wait.
Readers scream for news.
Iwata says Nintendo has built a bigger game population in three ways: Famicom Mini (shows commercials). GB Micro. Promises more shipments next week. Then he mentioned it was Mario's Birthday week. Miyamoto stands up. Number three, Iwata says, is Nintendo DS.
live-from-tgs-iwatas-keynote-20050915071749469.jpg

Iwata mentions "touch generation" games such as Nintendogs and Brain Trainer.
Nintendogs has topped one million units shipped in Japan already, according to Iwata.
60% of Nintendogs buyers picked up the game with a DS, according to Club Nintendo statistics.
Iwata begins topic on how to build game population going forward.
Giant Wi-Fi logo on screen in background. Iwata says he will reveal much more on next-generation Wi-Fi this October.
live-from-tgs-iwatas-keynote-20050915073036355.jpg

Something is happening according to norwegian newspaper db.nos blog.

Last edited by a moderator:
I assume at this point they mean "how people usually hold controllers, now try ours out for size", but the blog I'm quoting has been silent since.

Iwata speaking about Revolution controller
Iwata unveils Revolution controller
IGN will post high-resolution pictures, hands on impressions, feature breakdowns, roundtables, and more at 7:50 PM -- fewer than 15 minutes.
More...

Apparently the controller can be used with one hand, not confirmed though. :!:

edit: I take that back, misunderstood.

Iwata unveils Revolution controller
IGN will post high-resolution pictures, hands on impressions, feature breakdowns, roundtables, and more at 7:50 PM -- fewer than 15 minutes.
More...

Controller unvield, this is from a guy on the phone to someone at the show (he said this about 5 minutes before IGN updated to say that the controller had been unvield).

we've made bold innovations

REVOLUTION CAN DETECT WHERE CONTROLLER POINTS

THIS IS IT!!

COOKING GAME??? fishing game..

sega bass fishing revolution

In the fps games it can controll the aiming and moving, it will set a new standard

Can explore in the dark with flashlight (in the game)

New standard in fps

how can it ocntrol ZELDA?
"I hope youre as excited as I"

Iwata talking

leech

Its being translated from Japanese over the phone so its not exactly clear. I think we'll have to wait and see exactly what it means. Could be what was expected, Gyroscopes. But we do at least know that one feature of the controller is controlling a game using physical movement.

# Revolution controller looks like futuristic television remote.
# Glossy white design.
# Looks Apple iPod inspired.
# Controller is held in one hand. Attachments in the other.
# Attachments connect to the bottom of the controller. Iwata shows analog stick attachment.
# Thinking about packing Revolution with the main controller and attachment, Iwata says.
# Controller acts like a mouse in real-space 3D. Pefect for FPS games!
# Future attachments planned.

Hmm...

Sounds like it really is as different as Nintendo said. I'm excited by the idea of this controller in first person shooter games and many other games. But I'm glad the system has GameCube ports for more typical games.

Also one thing I noticed is this is exactly what a guy on the GA forums said earlier today (right down to looks a bit like an IPOD). And he said that looking at the controller you don't get it, but use it an its brilliant. Hopefully that's true.

Last edited by a moderator:
# Revolution controller looks like futuristic television remote.
# Glossy white design.
# Looks Apple iPod inspired.
# Controller is held in one hand. Attachments in the other.
# Attachments connect to the bottom of the controller. Iwata shows analog stick attachment.
# Thinking about packing Revolution with the main controller and attachment, Iwata says.
# Controller acts like a mouse in real-space 3D. Pefect for FPS games!
# Future attachments

live-from-tgs-iwatas-keynote-20050915074553984.jpg

So, basically, we use different "attachment" for different genre of games, such as fighting games, FPS ,sports games, etc....for optimized control theme?

Back