Official: ATI in XBox Next

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't nvidia have a history with the saturn as well?

Anyhow, maybe the ATI deal will work out like......
Nintendo has their own custom chipset developed. Microsoft takes the best from the PC market at the time.
Or
One console is released. Then the other is released with a more powerful chip, more featured chip.

But if both consoles are going to have the same hardware on the inside, I think it would make sense for nintendo and microsoft to release a system together, as one will probably be clearly superior in every way to the other.

I don't think N wants their games on other consoles. It's unlikely MS and N will release a single console standard. A GPU standard yes.

zurich said:
This is great and all, but I'm concerned about the chipset features. XB/nForce was really ahead of its time in bandwidth and sound.. to this date, ATI still doesn't have a shipping desktop board.

Did Nvidia have it before shipping the Xbox motherboard?

What other company out there could have bid for a contract with MS?

IMGTEC did, apparently MS really liked what they saw from the technology but weren't so sure about IMGTEC's ability to get the tech out without any delays. Which is a little unfair considering IMGTEC's only console dealing so far had no delays AFAICR. Still I can see how they'd see ATI as more reliable.

This isn't official info BTW, just what I've heard through the grapevine.

PC-Engine said:
I don't think N wants their games on other consoles. It's unlikely MS and N will release a single console standard. A GPU standard yes.

Another possibility....

Nintendo abandons the set-top console hardware and focuses on hand-held.

Microsoft uses "high-powered" ATI hardware for the Next Box...Nintendo uses a lower powered version for the next game-boy. The two systems are designed to be complimentary, and using similar technology (DirectX), but completely different chips, capabilities, and markets.

Next Box and the next Game Cube are co-branded...

Far fetched? Maybe...maybe not. ;)

NocturnDragon said:
zurich said:
This is great and all, but I'm concerned about the chipset features. XB/nForce was really ahead of its time in bandwidth and sound.. to this date, ATI still doesn't have a shipping desktop board.

Did Nvidia have it before shipping the Xbox motherboard?

From what I understand, the nForce was in development prior to the Xbox, and was then adapted to the Xbox needs. NVIDIAs ability to more or less design the whole console was one of the reason why they were picked.

PC-Engine said:

That's what I've been thinking for some time. That's puts some doubt in the idea that this announce is the final decision.

Joe, far fetched isn't even the word :)

As Nintendo have said in the past, when they stop making consoles is the day they leave the industry.

Now that may just be a soundbite and may not be 100% true. But it certainly means that Nintendo are going to have to be in real trouble before they give up on consoles.

I expect that MS will snatch whatever their highend core is at the time, and Nintendo will get a custom made one, as they are wierd like that!

ATI is further down the line with the chipset (as its pretty much complete and shipping soon) than NVIDIA were when they announced their XBox deal.

nonamer said:
PC-Engine said:

That's what I've been thinking for some time. That's puts some doubt in the idea that this announce is the final decision.

Only if the two GPUs are exactly the same which we don't know at this point.

DaveBaumann said:
ATI is further down the line with the chipset (as its pretty much complete and shipping soon) than NVIDIA were when they announced their XBox deal.

What did ATI have?

RaolinDarksbane said:
I thought that ArtX was working on Nintendo's GPU while another group is going to work on MS GPU?

I thought that ArtX had already been evenly distributed amonst ATI as a whole by now..

How many development teams does ATi have? It seems that they would need at least 4 for graphics alone (two for PC, one for MS, one for Nintendo).

Do you think from a developers stand point this is a good thing? They already hate having 3 consoles on the market. Now with 2 potentially having similar graphics systems, porting will be a no-brainer. Imagine PS3 being a beast to code for and then on the opposite spectrum having these 2 consoles.

RaolinDarksbane said:
I thought that ArtX was working on Nintendo's GPU while another group is going to work on MS GPU?

I think the ATi Marlborough-team will develop the XBox2-GPU as it is currently working on the R500 (afaik). We'll probably see a modified R500-core in the next XBox. I hope they don't just do another "PC-chip port" for the next Nintendo system though. I want to see another Flipper-style design (embedded 1T-SRAM-Q would be nice) :)

Hey, with the PS2, you can tell which team suck at programming games(I.E. bad performances) or doing ports.

As for ArtX, aren't they based in California? Where the other team is in Montreal? I doubt they relocated anyone. I also thought the climate was radically different between them too(hot and cold).

Edit: Oh, my mistake about Toronto. Still....

zurich said:
DaveBaumann said:

What did ATI have?

Dave meant that ATI is closer (basically shipping) a chipset at the time of THIS announcement. nVidia was much further away from shipping the original nForce at the time of the original X-Box announcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back