Official: ATI in XBox Next

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once again as with ever other piece of tech that has ever come out it does a few things right and a few things wrong. And soon something else will come out that does a few things better than this tech. Just watch. When the cell chip finally does come out . There will be another chip out there just as capable or more capable than the cell. Around the same time . Mabye 6months - a year diffrence but it will come .

Your point? Yea big deal another chip does a "few" things better than it; doesn't mean it's overall better. Second, a chip that will be more powerfull than Cell doesn't get R&D and than mass produce on 65 nm in 6 months. It would have to be a chip maybe that started around 2002, and I know of none that will be of 1TFLOPS and 1TOPS as Cell strives to be.

Make up your mind, do you mean another X86 chip 6 months after will be more powerfull? Or another architecture.

well, i think the x86 architecture is just plain different. comparing it to Cell tech is just wrong. an x86 chip will probably take years to catch up with Cell in the floating point performance, but does it really have to? considering that with time the GPU will take over most graphic calculations currently done on CPU... i guess NO.

i'm more intrigued to see how the team of Broadband Engine and Visualiser (PLEASE SONY CHANGE THE NAMES!!) will fare against a team of "good enough" CPU and super-buffed up GPU in PC style...
i still think the end results will be so different we will not be able to compare them. one is going for bloody micropoygons setup for god's sake, the other will still be doing things the traditional way, only better.

we'll have to wait and see. we STILL don't know ANYTHING about the graphics processor in PS3. all we know is that it will probably be based on CELL although i'm not sure how confirmed that is...

Paul said:
Once again as with ever other piece of tech that has ever come out it does a few things right and a few things wrong. And soon something else will come out that does a few things better than this tech. Just watch. When the cell chip finally does come out . There will be another chip out there just as capable or more capable than the cell. Around the same time . Mabye 6months - a year diffrence but it will come .

Your point? Yea big deal another chip does a "few" things better than it; doesn't mean it's overall better. Second, a chip that will be more powerfull than Cell doesn't get R&D and than mass produce on 65 nm in 6 months. It would have to be a chip maybe that started around 2002, and I know of none that will be of 1TFLOPS and 1TOPS as Cell strives to be.

Make up your mind, do you mean another X86 chip 6 months after will be more powerfull? Or another architecture.

First what we (you included) is being planed or what not is not even enough to fill a glass. There are so many thigns we never hear about. The only reason we are hearing about cell is cause sony is a hype machine . Second I have never said a x86 chip will beat the cell chip in flops. But there is more than x86 out there .

jvd said:
No when you are dealing with hudreds of gigs of just textures it would destroy even the ps3 with its on die cache. That is the reason. Its just not feasible. And by the time it is feasible for a certian quality. Say toy story , The movies will be so far beyond that .

Thats a good point, I'd say we're already at the point of doing movies like Lawnmower Man in real-time.

Second I have never said a x86 chip will beat the cell chip in flops. But there is more than x86 out there .

You still haven't made up your mind.. You say in 6 months something will come along and be better Cell. WTF do you mean by "better" Your always vauge. Do you mean something will be better than Cell with it's amount of e-DRAM? Floating point performance? OPS performance? Be produced on a more sophisticated micron process?

Assume Cell will be at a 4Ghz clock speed; if an Intel chip came out 3 months after the first Cell comes off the 0.65 micron fab and is at a clock speed of 5ghz does this really mean that Cell is "beat"? Sure Cell gets surpassed in clock speed, but would that Intel chip be the better than Cell for the job in PS3?

Like I said, different chip different product. There is no Something will be better than Cell in 6 months unless such a processor exceded Cell in every aspect. Which would happen eventually, but not in the time zones you think.

I ask a simple question as what do you mean by saying that Cell is no big deal, you come in here and act like an ass with the "SO paul how much stock in sony do u have ?"

OT, but Paul, do you know Mr "PS2 developer" and "Cell Extrodanaire", 1TFLOPS, from Teamxbox forums?

Teamxbox? I went there once a few months back to check things out but that's it, I don't post there. I don't recall ever seeing a 1TFLOPS either, although I am quite certain I know what his name implies :)

I know most of the people who know remotely anything about Cell or PS3, However I don't know mr 1TFLOPS.(I have once been offered money for ps3 info)

He's probably one of those solo jobs.

If your looking to know where I have/do/Did post about any type of Cell/PS3 stuff here is your list.

1. GA(3 times maybe)
2. pcvsconsole(once or twice)
3. rage3d( dozen times)
4. beyond3d(over 900 times)
5. Gamefaqs(3 year old account)

But to answear your question blunt, no I do not know this 1TFLOPS dude.

Good then. Cause that guy's a real plain fucking idiot. Claims to be a PS2 developer and an industry Ins1Dueee. Going gaagaa googoo about Cell crap, as if he really knows about the secrets of Cell. blah!! that goon of a fool, does nothing more than lift stuffs from this place. Retard.

[/end OT]

Quite odd that you say that guy lifts stuff from here, because on my visit to teamxbox a few months back there was a PS3 topic.. So knowing myself I decided to take a drop in. To my surprise you had one guy using my arguments from this board as his own stuff.

Do I mind? Nah, aslong as my work and ideas are getting out there I don't care.

I know nothing but I'd be willing to bet CELL as related to PS3 is more marketing hype than paradigm shift in the way microprocessors are designed and that the intellectual property associated with CELL will not give SONY any particular technological advantage in the console market. This isn't to say that the PS3 won't be a kickass box. It'll probably be really, really cool.

chaphack said:
Good then. Cause that guy's a real plain fucking idiot. Claims to be a PS2 developer and an industry Ins1Dueee. Going gaagaa googoo about Cell crap, as if he really knows about the secrets of Cell. blah!! that goon of a fool, does nothing more than lift stuffs from this place. Retard.

[/end OT]

Ridiculously extreme irony that you should judge somebody along those lines. I'm not saying he isn't so. It's just ridiculous for you to point fingers in such a way. Similarly, you don't seem to like him for what he does, but strangely you haven't the slightest bit of disagreement for the typical DMGA antics (or your own, for that matter) in this forum as of late? I see...

(That was not a flame, so don't go crying to momma adminstrator to "fix" things for you, again. It is simply a reality check for you.)

So knowing myself I decided to take a drop in. To my surprise you had one guy using my arguments from this board as his own stuff.
Why would he wanna use you arguements? :p I was more referring to techie posts from the likes of Pana/Vince/Cybamerc etc.

I'm not saying he isn't so. It's just ridiculous for you to point fingers in such a way. Similarly, you don't seem to like him for what he does, but strangely you haven't the slightest bit of disagreement for the typical DMGA antics (or your own, for that matter) in this forum as of late?
Because that idiot is plain lifting off what was posted by others and claims to be a PS2 developer. DMGA neither does he claims to be a developer nor does i have any hint that he is lifting stuffs of from other places and claiming to be his ideas. Point me to a place where DMGA "stole" ideas from and i gladly brand him an idiot too. I have given you a link to his crap, check them out yourselves, before that idiot starts deleting them.

1TFLOPS, if you are reading this, please cut out your poser developer wannabe nonesense. Exposing you wont take much of a sweat. ;)

(That was not a flame, so don't go crying to momma adminstrator to "fix" things for you, again. It is simply a reality check for you.)
crying? "fix" things? Irony...i dont go about waaayaaa for a ban on a member time and again. I think you are the one that needs reality check. :oops:

Paul said:
I know nothing

You said it better than anyone could have ;) If you know nothing there is no way you could have had your opinion above. Well atleast not a very good one.

Yes and no. The opinion is based on history. It can't fortell the future but is nonetheless ignored at one's peril. :D

Megadrive1988 said:
Cell probably wont be suprpassed for 2-3 years. maybe 4-5 years (PS4)just a wild guess.

Cell, unless it's severely crippled compared to the "preferred" implementation in the patent, won't be surpassed for quite a few years in the PC realm, general CPUs lack the architecture and bandwidth required, besides, there's no need for that kind of floating-point performance anyway. That's not where the PCs strengths lie.

When PS2 was new, its float performance smacked PC processors *silly*. It's still not really BAD in that regard, despite running at just 300MHz.

Itanic will probably reach Cell-like performance in a few years, but that CPU's a monster chip and a system based on it costs like a bajillion dollars. Can't be compared at all.

*G*

The Itanium iteration after next will be what the Alpha team will put out, it'll be interesting to see what they'll produce.

Not sure what that'll do for performance, especially in the fp department; I suspect they're main focus is on MT.

Lastly, Intel is working one what seems to be a Transmeta-esque VM to emulate x86 which seems to be showing a lot of promise -- not really too suprised. I suspect with the quite significant execution resources and large cache x86 code would run sufficiently fast.

The only question is when will we see an Itanium with "reasonable" power dissipation and at a competitive price with sufficient cache?

As for Cell, hrm, depends on who they threaten. The model of computing looks like it'll threaten many computing paradigms of the day. From mobile to even PC/WinTel (digital media, games et al). WinTel is proporting a model were one machine (x86) will basically serve out to the entire household and their computing needs.

All of the companies seem to be heading towards a pervasive computing model, one is simply more centralised than the other. Personally, the distributed model appeals to me -- the more I have the more I gain. But in my mind, this puts the two companies in direct competition, I suspect Intel is likely brewing an answer.

chaphack said:
I'm not saying he isn't so. It's just ridiculous for you to point fingers in such a way. Similarly, you don't seem to like him for what he does, but strangely you haven't the slightest bit of disagreement for the typical DMGA antics (or your own, for that matter) in this forum as of late?

Because that idiot is plain lifting off what was posted by others and claims to be a PS2 developer.

As usual, you miss the point entirely. Who cares if someone lifts off posts and claims to be PS2 developer? Duh, that's the Internet for ya! It's a rather innocuous offense. What you do with information you have gathered, and how you present it is the key to whether you are an "idiot" or not. To that extent, you aren't too many dna genes away from the very person you are slighting, evidently. That's the irony. That's the point that you and DMGA should take a hint on. The rest of us are here to discuss, not progress agendas.

Irony...i dont go about waaayaaa for a ban on a member time and again. I think you are the one that needs reality check. :oops:

No you don't, but you'll go waaayaaa when a discussion isn't going your way, you get your ass handed to you, and then you beg for topic lock. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back