Oculus Quest | Meta Quest 2

If the usb solution is (nearly) lossless I will go and buy quest. Should be fun both as standalone headset and when connected to pc.

If quest works good when connected over usb I don't see why anyone would want to buy rift s over quest.

I still think Quest is too heavy and weight distribution is not ideal. I tried it on Gamescom and felt pain on my neck after 10 minutes with it.

If only Intel and amd didn't dropped the ball with low power SoC and alive in smartphone market, an x86 Quest with optional Windows will be awesome.

BTW I just found out that there's already open source app that can stream pcvr to quest, wirelessly!

Can't wait to get whatever comes in a year or two

If the usb solution is (nearly) lossless I will go and buy quest.

That's a big IF..
USB 3.0 only passes 5Gbit/s max (with a much lower practical bandwidht), whereas the HDMI 2.0 needed for the dual 1600*1440 does 3x that.
Then the USB connection also needs to be bidirectional because it's sending all the positioning data.

I don't know what codec they're using and how fast the S835 in Oculus Quest can decode the video, but it seems like a monumental effort to make it seem even close to the real thing.

Sounds good. But I'll wait until retail version has been reviewed by multiple reputable reviewers.
Part of the beauty of using the Quest as a PC headset is its sheer simplicity. Plug in a USB-C cable, connect it to your computer and the Oculus Desktop software will recognize it. That's all. There's no need to worry about pairing the controllers with your PC, since that connection is carried over from the Quest itself.

I could barely tell a difference between the Link's VR video feed and a genuine PC headset.

https://www.engadget.com/2019/09/26...gn=homepage&utm_medium=internal&utm_source=dl

That's a big IF..
USB 3.0 only passes 5Gbit/s max (with a much lower practical bandwidht), whereas the HDMI 2.0 needed for the dual 1600*1440 does 3x that.
Then the USB connection also needs to be bidirectional because it's sending all the positioning data.

I don't know what codec they're using and how fast the S835 in Oculus Quest can decode the video, but it seems like a monumental effort to make it seem even close to the real thing.

It'll come down to the quality of video compression over a 5 Gbit link. One of the benefits of having a robust video decoder on the headset.

For comparison. Netflix recommends a 25 Mbit (~3.1 MB/s) connection for 4k video. A 50 GB Blu-ray disk is only 82 MB/s. A 5 Gbit link would have a theoretical 600 MB/s.

Standard VR headsets over HDMI are transmitting a raw uncompressed video stream. In the case of 4K Blu-Ray movies, it's first uncompressing the up to 82 MB/s data and then sending the raw video feed over HDMI.

Oculus should be able to compress the video on the PC, send the compressed data over the link, and then the headset will uncompress the data into video.

While, compressing it to the size of a Blu-Ray movie is likely far too processor intensive to do in real time, there's a lot of leeway between content compressed for 82 MB/s and the 600 MB/s theoretical max for USB.

I'd imagine that you could get very good to excellant results with real time compression with that amount of bandwidth available. Possibly better than Blu-Ray quality in real time.

The big question is how much latency will there be?

I have to say, I'm ever so slightly interested in the Oculus Quest now. If it goes on sale this Holiday season I may pick one up.

I'm first going to wait and see if Acer ever releases their Concept D OJO headset.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
A few pages ago, I posted that even under 5ghz wifi it already plays PCVR perfectly, with very low latency and pretty good to excellent image quality.

The experience is so good that I even forget that I'm streaming from the PC. It streams at full 72hz and the experience is absolutely fluid, seamless and, at least on Rift titles, perfect.

I am using hardware H265 on both ends. I believe that most people who are in doubt don't know how good H265 is, and how good the Quest is already showing to be.

Also, you can't put your eyes close enough to the actual HMD screen to nitpick compression artifacts (which are very little to none anyway).

I have no doubts that, at least at this moment, Quest is the king of VR, if you set up your environment properly.

Just get a proper PC with HEVC hardware encoding on the GPU, a good 5ghz router, and a Quest. Trust me, it's a current gen killer combination. I don't even want to use USB, wireless VR is unbeatable.

A few pages ago, I posted that even under 5ghz wifi it already plays PCVR perfectly, with very low latency and pretty good to excellent image quality.

The experience is so good that I even forget that I'm streaming from the PC. It streams at full 72hz and the experience is absolutely fluid, seamless and, at least on Rift titles, perfect.

I am using hardware H265 on both ends. I believe that most people who are in doubt don't know how good H265 is, and how good the Quest is already showing to be.

Also, you can't put your eyes close enough to the actual HMD screen to nitpick compression artifacts (which are very little to none anyway).

I have no doubts that, at least at this moment, Quest is the king of VR, if you set up your environment properly.

Just get a proper PC with HEVC hardware encoding on the GPU, a good 5ghz router, and a Quest. Trust me, it's a current gen killer combination. I don't even want to use USB, wireless VR is unbeatable.

hopefully when my current job ends in a week or two, i'll get another job with good enough pay, and i'll import Quest hahaha.

I imagined room scale wireless VR would be AWESOME! It already feels so awesome to play PSVR games in limited room scale by placing the camera up high on the ceiling.

Just correcting myself: although wifi streaming looks and feels already good enough for me, the perceived latency is not enough for some people/games. Honestly I did not stream any fast action game yet, but I will probably do in the next weekend, out of curiosity and also to make my statement more precise.

I have to admit that my opinion is slightly biased because I love Quest's wireless 6DOF VR, so I tend to be less exigent with the streaming side, probably.

Most of the time I am not streaming, but instead playing native Quest apps. Everything I streamed was silky smooth until now.

For frenetically fast action games, I may be wrong, though. =)

Just correcting myself: although wifi streaming looks and feels already good enough for me, the perceived latency is not enough for some people/games. Honestly I did not stream any fast action game yet, but I will probably do in the next weekend, out of curiosity and also to make my statement more precise.

I have to admit that my opinion is slightly biased because I love Quest's wireless 6DOF VR, so I tend to be less exigent with the streaming side, probably.

Most of the time I am not streaming, but instead playing native Quest apps. Everything I streamed was silky smooth until now.

For frenetically fast action games, I may be wrong, though. =)

Can't wait for reading your comparison between wireless and wired quest :D

Anandtech's article is suggesting the Quest is able to use USB-C's alternate mode for displayport.

I believe they might have heard it wrong, but if true then a 60GHz adapter could probably be used with the Quest.

In Carmack's annual talk he was saying that while they could technically go higher the 72Hz refresh rate for Link they would need to recertify the device. That's not going to happen but they will probably certify the next Quest at higher refresh rates than used in stand alone mode.

In carmacks talk was also details about streaming over USB. Streaming is limited to ~150MBit/s. Limiting factor is the video decoder on quest. A lot of good stuff on carmack's talk. Definitely worth listening to.

In carmacks talk was also details about streaming over USB. Streaming is limited to ~150MBit/s. Limiting factor is the video decoder on quest. A lot of good stuff on carmack's talk. Definitely worth listening to.

That's still almost twice as high as 50 GB Blu-Ray disks and still higher than 100 GB Blu-Ray disks. So, in theory quality should be pretty good.
  • 50 GB at 82 Mbit/s
  • 66 GB at 108 Mbit/s
  • 100 GB at 128 Mbit/s
So in theory it should be similar in quality to a 4k Blu-Ray movie and significantly better than Netflix 4k (less than 25 Mbit/s).

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Here is a late update regarding Quest's wifi streaming: for really fast moving games, latency was not excellent -- it was reasonable but not excellent. I played for example table tennis, and, although it was still playable, latency definitely made it harder to hit the ball when it was coming faster.

Random youtube table tennis video (not mine):

So, for really fast movement games, I can't recommend wifi streaming. Please note that people have reported lower latency when using ALVR, but I am actually using Virtual Desktop with Revive solution on my tests -- with a reported latency around 70ms. Please note that I used full resolution, H265 72hz encoding, with high image quality for the tests. I use a TP-LINK 5ghz router with OpenWrt firmware, and the Quest is reporting an average ~140mbps connection to the router. I believe that this should be possible to tweak here and there to maybe reduce latency to half that.

Overall I think that the wifi streaming experience is very nice, and considering that I am more into relatively "slow" or non-gaming experiences, that works awesomely for me.

My personal opinion is still the same: IMHO, Oculus Quest is the best HMD from this generation. Highly portable and with a lot of hacking potential -- maybe someone even comes with a pluggable low-latency wireless solution in the near future, making it perfect for streaming. The built-in Android hardware might become just an additional advantage in the future.

It have AC wifi, does your tolink 5ghz router also AC compatible?

BTW some routers unable to sustain high bandwidth wifi for prolonged time with low latency, resulting in heightened latency despite everything looks fine when you ping it.

So I'm curious will high performance wifi router like those from ubiquiti will help

This TP-LINK is the old N750 model, no AC yet. It is 450mbps max.

That is, in reality, good news, as a newer model will certainly provide better connection than the one I have.

I also found that newer NVIDIA drivers have a new "Ultra Low Latency" option to help game streaming, and that switching to H264 also further decreases latency. Will try to test both soon and then update here.

Back