Oculus to exit PC only headset market in 2021

Discussion in 'VR and AR' started by eastmen, Sep 16, 2020.

Tags:
  1. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

https://www.roadtovr.com/facebook-discontinue-rift-product-line-2021/

This is the direction they were rumored to be going for awhile and I have to say they are the only manufacturer that I didn't get to try a new pc headset from this year. So i figured it was either something really big coming or they were giving up.

It will be interesting because competitors keep getting better. The reverb 2 is really nice and of courses the best tracking is with valve and once your in that ecco system the headset itself only sets you back $500.

I've seen some really good headsets that will be out over the next 18 months or so that are pc only.

Picao84 and manux like this.
  2. cheapchips

Veteran Newcomer

Facebook stuff aside, it's sad that they're ditching PC only HMDs. A PC version of the Quest 2 without the mobile bits would be a better value & quality headset than the current WMR offerings. I suppose a $299+$50 strap + ?? USB C cable is still a reasonable price point. Just a shame to have a battery hanging off your face.

#2 cheapchips, Sep 17, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    Picao84 and BRiT like this.
  3. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

So what does this mean for the Oculus Store ecossystem for PC titles, both current ones and others that are currently in development?

Couldn't this mean they're just going to put a SoC into every HMD from now on, but their investment in the PC ecossystem will be maintained?

How is the feedback on Oculus Link? Could that be the future of PC Oculus?

4. Silent_Buddha

Legend

From what I can tell the only change is that they are ditching PC only headsets. They aren't ditching the PC. They noted that there are a significant number of people using Quest on PC via Oculus Link.

It wouldn't surprise me at this point if there were more people using Oculus on PC with Quest through Oculus Link than all other Oculus headsets combined.

It's just a shame that they're attempting to force everyone to use a Facebook account.

Regards,
    SB

5. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

The issue is compression through the link and of course paying for hardware you don't need.

They should just put out a Q2 without the battery and soc but have a dedicated hdmi connector for a pc. I don't think they are going to stop with the pc side yet but i have a feeling your going to start getting pushed to the mobile store while they continue phasing out the pc stuff.

I knew something was up when they were the only headset maker that didn't send us a new dedicated pc headset. I knew they either finally got eye tracking working on a high enough amount of people or like many speculated after the hack job of the rift s , they would exit the market.