Oculus Quest | Meta Quest 2

This a VR film rather than game, coming to the Quest. From the chap who was in Free Solo. Nope, nope, nope. Free Solo was hard enough to watch and that was in 2D!

Just tried it.
It looks really good for viewing sceneries. I'm not sure you could make a game out of this, as everything is completely static, and up close objects look like something out of Dreams, wonder if it's using polygons or something else. but level of detail et very high in some places, like the grass outdoor.

Face tracking cameras, eh? So, I guess you that it can capture facial expressions within the mask? But being able to capture that would still be missing the important cheeks and mouth.

Interesting to have cameras on the controllers themselves so that you don't have to worry about the controllers getting occluded from the headset mounted cameras by the player's body.

Sounds like it'll be expensive. I wonder if it is targeting original Rift CV1 pricing (around 700-800 USD) or if it'll be targeting Index level pricing (1k USD) or even higher?

Regards,
SB

Face tracking cameras, eh? So, I guess you that it can capture facial expressions within the mask? But being able to capture that would still be missing the important cheeks and mouth.

They have IR cameras for eye tracking, so maybe they provide a fair amount of 'top half' expression capture. If they then have a camera for the mouth maybe they can stitch enough of an expression together. It's not like they need to achieve cinema grade performance capture. They're only trying to drive Horizons avatars.

Back