Oculus Quest | Meta Quest 2

Will have to see how that goes. I haven't gotten a Quest 2 mostly because Facebook won't allow me to create an account without a valid phone number. And I don't want to have my phone number available through a Facebook account. Obviously I don't mind if the company has my phone number (I do have an Oculus account after all), but I don't want my phone number to be associated with a social media account.

Regards,
SB

Is that better, worse or the same?
Can we be 100% anonymous in their meta-verse?
No idea. I initially posted that guess as to what will replace the Facebook requirement. No idea if that will even happen, so can't say.

It will take at least a decade of any Zuckerberg company absolutely doing what's right for consumers before I will trust them with anything. Maybe this is a start, but I'm doubtful.

And replaced with Meta-verse Login requirement...
Yeah, realistically the ONLY reason I don't have an Oculus 2 is because, frankly, Facebook (or Meta, or basically whatever business front ZuckerBoig is running next) can straight get Effed in the A. Despite the comparitive shortcomings, I still enjoy my Oculus original which I've purposefully cut off from the internet so it can't upgrade to start forcing a logon requirement. Works fine for my singular use case: the Virtual Desktop app for streaming my Steam library to the headset across my internal network.

Looking at that reminds me of something else that VR headset makers need to address. Controller polling/sampling rate and accuracy. Watching people manipulate objects always looks like watching someone with Parkinson's disease or cerebral palsy. :p It's also something I notice myself when using my Quest headset. I can hold a real life broomstick out in front of me more steadily than I can anything in VR.

Regards,
SB

So a DLSS-like way of upscaling in the time domain rather than the visual domain -- using AI for interpolating frames rather than interpolating screen space. They both end up using a low resolution input combined with motion vector data to estimate / interpolate / fill whichever gap needs it.

Quest's warp tech thingie looks somewhat similar to Motion-Compensated Frame Interpolation Using Cellular Automata-Based Motion Vector Smoothing (hindawi.com)

Because both techonlogies (seem to) use the same raw data inputs, I wonder if a DLSS-like render upscaling could also be applied with good effect using some of that "reserved" hardware in the Quest 2. Imagine the performance benefits of not only having to render at half framerate, but also at only 2/3rds native resolution? Rough napkin math says that's arguably a net gain of ~160% (30% for less render space, with a compounding interest doubling of performance for only needing half the framerate!)

Anyway, just talking out loud. Interesting tech regardless. Makes me wonder if NVIDIA has something like this in the wings for a future driver update...

It sounds like motion / asynchronous reprojection. Which is a fascinating tech and definitely reduces GPU load, but it has some downsides to it like ghosting when you turn your head.

Last edited:
Back