Octo core Qualcomm

"New to the Roadmap: 64-bit and Octa-core"

28nm

"I do have to point out that the Snapdragon 615 violates Anand Chandrasekher's Things that are Dumb list, but again it seems like Qualcomm is simply doing what the Chinese OEMs want. I could have a longer discussion about whether or not it's smart to listen to your customers if they are leading you astray, but let's see how this one pans out once Qualcomm shifts back over to its own CPU core IP next year. "

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7784/...-64bit-warpath-with-48core-cortex-a53-designs

It appears to me that mediatek is putting Qualcomm under unbeleivable pressure, if they drop their own cores in place of "standard" CPU cores, just so they can launch socs that have the "8 core" bullet point.

Well, most of what I was saying applied to an octa-core next-gen Krait as a high end part - which the leak implied claiming 2.5GHz. There's no way they'll be clocking this so high. A lot of the argument I made doesn't apply here (gives them improved DVFS flexibility, these cores aren't very large), although I still think it's on the questionable side.

Not sure if the real one putting pressure is MediaTek instead of stupid OEMs who demand the highest AnTuTu scores.

Well, most of what I was saying applied to an octa-core next-gen Krait as a high end part - which the leak implied claiming 2.5GHz. There's no way they'll be clocking this so high. A lot of the argument I made doesn't apply here (gives them improved DVFS flexibility, these cores aren't very large), although I still think it's on the questionable side.

Not sure if the real one putting pressure is MediaTek instead of stupid OEMs who demand the highest AnTuTu scores.

I think Qualcomm as the king of Android HW felt the pressure from Mediatek and its eco-system of chinese OEMs.

8-cores & 64-bits is completely BS of course and just a gap-filler to maintain marketshare. The waiting is for a decent 64-bits Krait in a 2 or 4-core configuration. Can't imagine Qualcomm started its development last year after the wake-up call from Apple. It should be 1-2 years in the making already.

Bit surprised they didn't announce a 800 successor already, Apple will come up its 2nd gen. 64-bits CPU in Sep-October @ 20 nm (TSMC ?).

I think Qualcomm as the king of Android HW felt the pressure from Mediatek and its eco-system of chinese OEMs.

8-cores & 64-bits is completely BS of course and just a gap-filler to maintain marketshare. The waiting is for a decent 64-bits Krait in a 2 or 4-core configuration. Can't imagine Qualcomm started its development last year after the wake-up call from Apple. It should be 1-2 years in the making already.

Bit surprised they didn't announce a 800 successor already, Apple will come up its 2nd gen. 64-bits CPU in Sep-October @ 20 nm (TSMC ?).

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014...pdragon-801-a-slightly-faster-snapdragon-800/

Back