Oblivion WOW factor off the scales for console gamers?

PeterT said:
It's fun reading about your excitement with this feature, considering Daggerfall had Vampirism and Lycantropy 10 years ago. Yes, when you console gamers just got PSones!
I'm not saying that Oblivion isn't a great game - from what I can tell so far it actually is - just that this over-hyping is crazy to watch from a long time TES-fan's perspective.

I know if i didn't have so many insanly great games to play I would go back and play through all of them.

Ben-Nice said:
Scooby, I figured it out. If you don't get blood for a long period of time you can't even talk to people. Go to the waterfront at night and break into somebodies house and suck they're blood. You will have to do this everyday to "not become a vampire" to human. If humans sense you are a vampire you can't even buy stuff in shops. There is a quest to cure it but I haven't finished it yet. When your a vampire you are stronger faster etc. Hope that helps a litte.

I know how cool is that? I was lookin around today, and apparently you get 3 days to cast dispel and cure teh vampirism, or you turn for good, then you have to start sucking blood, but you also get some benefits??

I'm pretty sure my guy is way over 3 days since getting bit, so looks like I'm with you! Mmmm...blooood

dukmahsik said:
can u go around mating with all the hot locals? would be funny to make a whole brethen of illegimate offsprings :devilish:

no but there is a half orc - half vampire in the game. Like seriously, what self respecting Vampire hooks up with an ORC!? Damn man..have some standards!

i know how to sneak around its just that i keep forgetting to turn off my sneak, becuase im trying to level it up, reason why i keep it on and jump everywhere and refuse to get a horse. its just i try to talk to some one and it goes into the pickpocket screen by accident, and even if you dont take anything and try to back out you get caught. should have given an option to say yes or no.

otherwise been happy stealing everything, birthsign is the shadow with mercintile skill up and agility. so been going into shops and stealing everything i can sell. becareful if anyone goes into the weapons smiths house, she has a real mean dog guarding her room! beleive me took alot of runnng to drop tht dog!

if you are a vampire (hoping werewolf will make it into the next expansion) theres always a cure, daggerfall and morrowind had cures. you just have to find it. if its like the others of the series join a vampire clan and eventually you will come a cross a cure to the desease, and hopfuly you just killed a rival clans vampire to the one you joined.

PeterT said:
It's fun reading about your excitement with this feature, considering Daggerfall had Vampirism and Lycantropy 10 years ago. Yes, when you console gamers just got PSones!
I'm not saying that Oblivion isn't a great game - from what I can tell so far it actually is - just that this over-hyping is crazy to watch from a long time TES-fan's perspective.

Funny you mention that...I was talking to my nephew about old RPGs, where you would talk to every NPC about every quests, since the dialog is more free form. Seeing Oblivion limits what you can say to NPC, I thought it wasn't immersive as the older RPG.

scooby_dooby said:
I know how cool is that? I was lookin around today, and apparently you get 3 days to cast dispel and cure teh vampirism, or you turn for good, then you have to start sucking blood, but you also get some benefits??

I'm pretty sure my guy is way over 3 days since getting bit, so looks like I'm with you! Mmmm...blooood

Right now this is game of the year. I have the PC version and it is crack cocaine. I usually very harsh on games but there isn't to many glaring flaws. So far so good. Between a 9-10 score at this point. Gladiator fights rock.

Ben-Nice said:
Right now this is game of the year. I have the PC version and it is crack cocaine. I usually very harsh on games but there isn't to many glaring flaws. So far so good. Between a 9-10 score at this point. Gladiator fights rock.

Agreed IMO nothing out now or ever produced is even in the same class.

PeterT said:

I've managed to put in 15 hours of time into the game already, and as a long tome TES fan (Since Arena) this game has already exceeded my expectations.

For one, it's a Bethesda game, and in 15 hours of play time I haven't had a single crash. Amazing!!

But, I'll give you a better example.

*MINOR SPOILER FOLLOWS*

I was on a quest to capture a rouge Battlemage who was robbing people on the road outside of town. I was accompanied by 2 more Battlemages. I was supposed to go walking down the road pretending I'm a merchant, and the 2 Battlemages would stay hidden until the rogue Battlemage attacked me. Once I was attacked, the other 2 would jump in and capture the rogue.

Well, that was the plan anyways. Random encounters and radiant AI can have a funny way of changing plans though.

So here I am, walking down the road, get to a gentle bend around a large rock, and see an Impreial Guard on horseback appear heading my way. I was contemplating trying to talk to him as he passed by when all of the sudden the rogue Battlemage jumps out and attacks me. As planned, the 2 other Battlemages jumped in and immediately attacked the rogue.

Well, apparently the Imperial Guard didn't like all of this fighting going on, because he jumped of his horse, and promptly jumped in and kicked ass until all 3 Battlemages were dead, leaving me standing alone, unharmed, in the middle of 3 dead bodies in the road. He casually walks around, takes all of the dropped weapons, looks at me for a moment and then jumps on his horse and rides off without saying a word.

For any RPG that type of NPC interaction is amazing. For a console it is absolutely unheard of.

I'm going to get straight to the point no BS. I've played ALOT of games, especially RPG's. This is hands down one of the best games ever made, as far as RPG's, the best I have ever played. You can do pretty much whatever the f#ck you want in this game. Need I say more. The main quest? I don't even give a F#uck. I have barely touched it. You can just got to towns and get infinite quests go exploring, whatever. It's all good. I used to play CS Source every single day, and I haven't played in a week. Nuff said. I know I'm not the only one that thinks this. Sorry if i'm rambling and being a "******". Maybe it's just the the Dewars on the rocks and kind bud. That's the only thing preventing me from playing Oblivion right now. I'm too F#cked up. For real. :cool:

Ok just have a question wrt the Xbox version of the game for those who have it; do the bodies remain in perpetuity as they do on the PC version? Didn't know if the mandated playability sans hard drive would effect that or not ultimately, or does it use the hard drive if present?

Anyway I'm playing it on PC and the game is certainly awesome. To tell you the truth, after seeing the effect on gameplay even this 'early' display of physics has brought to the table, I'm a physics believer 100%.

I'll put out the mandatory 'beautiful game,' and 'immersive' comments as well, though those words need not be spoken to be known.

xbdestroya said:
Ok just have a question wrt the Xbox version of the game for those who have it; do the bodies remain in perpetuity as they do on the PC version? Didn't know if the mandated playability sans hard drive would effect that or not ultimately, or does it use the hard drive if present?

The 360 version is identicle to the PC version is just about every way.

And yes, the game uses the hard drive if one is present. In fact, the only significant glitch on the 360 version can be fixed by holding down the A button during bootup to clear the cache.

Powderkeg said:
The 360 version is identicle to the PC version is just about every way.

And yes, the game uses the hard drive if one is present. In fact, the only significant glitch on the 360 version can be fixed by holding down the A button during bootup to clear the cache.

Well let me ask the question differently then... without the hard drive, do the bodies remain in perpetuity?

xbdestroya said:
Well let me ask the question differently then... without the hard drive, do the bodies remain in perpetuity?

I don't think so, when you clear the HDD cache I think all the bodies dissapear.

xbdestroya said:
As far as I know. The harddrive is used to cache the levels, not save world information. I actually hit against the hard drive glitch (one of many--this is a Bethesda game afterall, wonderful inspite of it's glaring flaws). What happens is that all of sudden any kind of loading takes forever, even the main screen. Holding down A during boot up fixed it and I don't believe any of the world information was erased (otherwise, how would the game be shared across profiles or taken to another console?).

One major gripe I have with the game is pop-in. It is truly horrific at times, especially when I'm out exploring the countryside and see a small non-descript island. Only by walking a bit closer do I suddenly see a large, very interesting fort pop in to view.

But I'll be honest and say that regardless of any technical issue, this game is the most enjoyable game I've played in a long, long time. The thread title captures the essence: the "wow" factor is off the scales. I must have spent an hour just clearing the street outside my house of some dead bodies (they got rough with me and the guards dealt with them :devilish: ). The physics were such that I could only carry the lightest of the bunch, and even then only after I'd taken all their items out, and even then all I could do was a small, tedious drag. However, later on I leveled up my strength and returned to the rest of the bodies and I was able to dump them in the river as well. Definitely a unique experience.

scooby_dooby said:
I don't think so, when you clear the HDD cache I think all the bodies dissapear.
Well, nevermind my response then. I'll try it out later to see for sure. I would have expected that kind of information to be stored with the game save, but perhaps not...

Sis said:
Well, nevermind my response then. I'll try it out later to see for sure. I would have expected that kind of information to be stored with the game save, but perhaps not...

Don't take my word on that, just what I've read. Probably should've clarified that ;)

Back