NXE update preview program

Yeah, I mostly got burned slightly when I didn't bother to replace my expiring credit card (as I was going to stick to silver for a while) only to then find out that I couldn't even log into my silver account, since MS said I owed them money. Solved with a phonecall, but bitter misanthropes like me that's painful.

oh yea, that sucks... the new NXE with it's warning of expiring gold accounts and this new CC edit feature should solve most of that. I had an expired CC on there that I had gotten rid of set as my default CC for about 3 years until a couple months ago when I was able to go in and remove it. :LOL:

that was a glaring issue hopefully now fixed

I figured I would add this here rather than make a new thread:

I went out today looking for a new HDD for my 20GB Xbox 360 and I went online and to a couple of the local shops and they were all completely out of HDDs!!! No 60GB, no 120GB HDDs in stock at least for the shops in my vicinity.

Is this a local phenomenom or are you guys getting HDD shortages there as well?

Evidently according to David Jeffries @ Black Rock Studio in the latest Develop magaine, Microsoft is dropping the HD requirements in games.

However, Jefferies later claims in the article that Microsoft has dropped the 1280x720 stipulation, allowing developers working on non-Halo titles to make the choice between resolution and quality as they so choose.

http://www.totalvideogames.com/Xbox-360/news/Microsoft-Drops-360s-HD-Requirements-14471.html

Maybe this another reason why they removed the HD cables out of the Pro turned Elite?

Tommy McClain

Odd quote, since 'Halo titles' also aren't all 720p.

The quote was in the context that Halo developers, Bungie, had already been granted an exception to the 1280x720 requirement, in order to pursue their HDR approach. Now all developers will have the same freedom, without first having to ask permission, as Infinity Ward (1024x600) and others did.

The quote was in the context that Halo developers, Bungie, had already been granted an exception to the 1280x720 requirement, in order to pursue their HDR approach. Now all developers will have the same freedom, without first having to ask permission, as Infinity Ward (1024x600) and others did.

I would hope/assume they require devs to keep it somewhere within 25%-ish of 720P though, right?

I mean people sometimes knock the sub-720P games being SD or whatever, but of course the fact is theyre always a whole whole lot closer to 720P than 640X480, so it's usually not too much of a problem (COD4 and Halo 3 being good examples). But if people start doing 640X480 games or something, that would be ugly.

I would hope/assume they require devs to keep it somewhere within 25%-ish of 720P though, right?

I mean people sometimes knock the sub-720P games being SD or whatever, but of course the fact is theyre always a whole whole lot closer to 720P than 640X480, so it's usually not too much of a problem (COD4 and Halo 3 being good examples). But if people start doing 640X480 games or something, that would be ugly.

Initially, I think MS was worried that with the 360 being the only HD console on the market for a whole year, and having very small market share during that year, that if they didn't mandate a minimum resolution, the 360 might become home to a bunch of lousy PS2/Xbox ports, and PS2/Xbox owners wouldn't see any reason to upgrade. I think that, by now, there's good solid competition in the HD-console-game space, so anyone who puts out a 480p game that doesn't have at least some other redeeming features (amazing effects, gameplay, whatever) will be punished by the market. Then again, there's the counter example of Ghostbusters on PS3... :rolleyes:

Games on Demand is going to be the death of my bank balance. *For those who are not taxed when purchasing points I highly suggest you use that method for game purchases I did a couple game purchases with points and a couple with debit card. Debit card purchases included tax (which is new for me on the 360 but the same as on the PS3). I really need a better priced larger hdd to be announced or serious price reductions on the 120GB.

My "solution" is going to be buying one of the Elites at $299 when the price drops and trading in my 360. It's lasted me nearly 3 years, and I'm glad for it's service, but I get the feeling it's not going to make it another 3 years. HDMI + 120GB + 3 years of red-ring warranty + new controller.

But of course, if I weren't, I'd be looking at the HDD prices and fuming. Like I was earlier today after looking in 3 Sears and a Target hoping to spot the drives massively discounted through clearance. Phoenix AZ is at the ass end of the universe, but not in the right kind of way to find those deals, apparently. Everyone and their dog on NeoGAF seems to have no problem, though! :devilish:

As for Games on Demand, however, I just don't see myself getting behind it.

XBLA games are one thing, but games going for full retail price even on much older games, oftentimes the inferior version ($20 GoD Oblivion + DLC vs. $30 for Game of the year edition? There's not even a contest here...), and to top it off: the lack of a disc means no reselling (though I never do) or lending out the game (which I do quite often). With the danger the service may up and atom disappear in the future, and the only advantage being that I don't have to have ANY disc in the tray to play, I can't see myself going digital this generation. Disc + install is the way forward, I think, and I'm not lazy or disorganized enough for the no-disc feature to be of much use to me.

Prior to now I thought I was read to go all-DD, but it would appear I was just fooling myself. I suppose I won't until DD is a first class citizen--with prices that reflect the fact that there are disadvantages to be had for me as a consumer, and advantages to be had for the seller since retailers are no longer involved. But of course, this isn't going to happen until retail is practically dead or otherwise no longer holds the kind of sway that they do currently.

Turn - I don't get it either.

There's 2 or 3 or maybe even 4 games I'd like to play 'On Demand' and there have been times on Friday night after a beer or 2 or 20 (SHUT UP YOU GUYS!), that I'd love to have the option to purchase an entirely new full game to play.

But when I'm sober? I'm not spending that kind of money on one of these games when I know I can just wait until tomorrow, haul my hung-over ass to the store and buy either a new Platinum Hits addition or GOY addition for less, or buy a used copy for magnitudes less.

See, I don't have your hangup about not having physical media. My only hangup is when the physical media is actually LESS and in some cases offers MORE content than the DLC I have the option to purchase.

I understand that it's currently a problem with the market and the market is shifting and evolving and that MS is trying to balance out their relationships with the publishers and their ability to provide DLC.

But it's a problem that clearly exists right now and hasn't been solved.

IMO, all the games on demand should either be NEW GAMES that are all available at full price (so you people who want a 'benefit' from not getting physical media be damned, too bad for you.), or they should all be the same games that are available at the bargain bin.

Of course, Xbox already has a 'system' for bargain games that were best sellers, and they call them platinum hits. So I guess there's a process taking place there that I'm not sure about the specifics of that is influencing price.

I GET the fact they can't compete with the USED game market. But I'm talking about when stores start discounting games on their own before they goto platinum hits. Games On Demand needs to have a similar algorithm. It'll be tough to do, but they need to do something more fair than what it is now. I understand, sometimes games go on sale at Walmart or Target and they are at $15.99 or something... less pricey than the Platinum hits even, and that's tough to compete with. But so far as I've seen, all the games are priced at least $10 too high.

Do developers really "ask permission"...? I think it was the Conan beat 'em up game that was something like 1024x576 - on what grounds could such a game be possibly granted an exemption? Is it perhaps more likely that they simply submit the game and hope it gets by?

Also tried the Dash update yesterday, and I must say I ended up being a little disappointed. The game download service actually has some good games going for it that I would consider, except of course that I have a 20GB drive. I can currently install one game (I just installed Fable 2 yesterday, first new 360 game I bought in a long while, and despite it being a disappointment that I had to keep the disc in there which I forgot about, it really helps the game and it runs beautifully), so there's simply no space to make use of this. Which is a shame, really, because I like having games on the hard-drive a lot. I find it very convenient not to have to worry about discs.

I looked for a larger HDD, and it (still) costs 120 euros. I could get an Elite for 280, which basically for 140 more would give me a quieter system (hopefully), HDMI, a second wireless controller. But it's too little for that money. Not to mention that a 500GB drive now costs 80 euros in the store just a street from where I live. Doesn't look like I'll go back to Gold anytime soon.

I tried to update my machine two days, seemed to download the first bit of the update but ever since it just hangs when it tries to get the rest of it. Bit depressing, anyone else had similar issues and found a way round them? Doesn't seem to be a downloadable link for the new update but even a 'community' version of the release on memory stick or cd doesn't seem to be recognised. <sigh>

My "solution" is going to be buying one of the Elites at $299 when the price drops and trading in my 360. It's lasted me nearly 3 years, and I'm glad for it's service, but I get the feeling it's not going to make it another 3 years. HDMI + 120GB + 3 years of red-ring warranty + new controller.

Before you do that, call up Microsoft and ask for a HDD transfer cable, it'll make the transition easier.

@ Arwin:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/150970/upgrade_your_xbox_360s_hard_drive_on_the_cheap.html

You're pretty technically adept, you can perform the upgrade much cheaper if you wanted to. Just be sure to back up your saves onto a USB drive.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/150970/upgrade_your_xbox_360s_hard_drive_on_the_cheap.html

You're pretty technically adept, you can perform the upgrade much cheaper if you wanted to. Just be sure to back up your saves onto a USB drive.

The hack is nice especially if you are a type of person than can and likes to do that sort of stuff. I personally think it's not as good option as MY suggestion :smile:, because the mentioned 120GB HDD probably won't be cheaper than the one on Ebay + you have to sacrifice the casing of your old 20GB HDD, so you can't sell it, making the total cost of that hacking operation unfavourable not to mention more time consuming.

Xbox.com has been updated to allow purchasing Games On Demand & avatar content. Plus, you can now see & make consumer ratings for all content and sort by them.

Tommy McClain

Do developers really "ask permission"...? I think it was the Conan beat 'em up game that was something like 1024x576 - on what grounds could such a game be possibly granted an exemption? Is it perhaps more likely that they simply submit the game and hope it gets by?

Ask permission or beg forgiveness...it doesn't matter. The point is that there used to be technical certification requirements that required 1280x720, and, at one time, even required anti-aliasing.

Now, developers don't need to worry about getting an exemption, they can just do whatever they feel results in the best game.

I don't get what was supposed to be improved or quicker about the recover gamertag deal with the new NXE update.

It's the same long dumb process.

When you log on, it immediately recognizes your gamertag as being on another console. So why is it then when you goto recover it, you can't just CHOOSE your gamertag? Why do you have to type it all in?

Why is it that we have email addresses tied to our gamertags and live accounts that they cant give you the email account and you can just type in the password?

I guess this wouldn't be so annoying if I had a chat pad, but come on. Its a bit ridiculous considering they already admit to having a certain amount of knowledge but then want you to provide it all for them from scratch each time.

Back