NXE update preview program

After the Fat Princess pricing ruckus, where people were trumpetting the fairness of MS's points system, I was scratching my head a second just there. How can it cost more in some regions than others? And now I see it's because, yeah the points prices are about the same, give or take, rounded to local denominations, but someone's had the audacity to actually charge more points for the same titles!

How on earth did they come up with those Viva Pinata prices?? Do they really think the UK has a far higher demand for the game which affords a higher price to maximise revenue?

That pricing is utterly random. I'm sure the UK population will pleasantly accept being stiffed 33%. I was just checking the price of Cakewalk products and they're doing the same, charging UK citizens 33% or more for the same download software. It's high time the UK, united as one, completely boycotted the rest of the world!

I've always wondered about this, but doesn't the UK price include a (rather hefty) value added tax? The US prices are exclusive of federal income tax, state income tax, state sales tax, local income tax, local sales tax, local property tax, etc.

If I take my income, subtract 28% in federal income tax and 6% in state income tax, then add 5% in state sales tax, the price of a $29.99 game just went up to $47.71. And that's not even including all taxes...

I definitely still have the delays; my penalty for too many purchases apparently, as my profile continues to grow in size I fear the delays will continue to increase and this is with my 50Mbps connection.

Are the music stores going to get anything more than what they have now? They already have their separate "store fronts" in Game Add-ons. I visit the Lips store every week since the in-game Get Music is exponentially worse if not an order of magnitude worse in its delays than the NXE.

These delays are something I don't understand. My dashboard has seemed to get much, much slower the more I've used my 360. Just playing content I've already got takes a long time, as the blasted thing insists on loading related items from Marketplace before activating the "play" button. I thought that the new dashboard was supposed to fix this, but it sure hasn't for me. (I just upgraded last night.)

This is not an attempt to make this into a PS3 vs. 360 comparison, but I remember that the Playstation Store used to be gawd-awful slow compared to Marketplace, but then Sony redesigned the Store and it's really snappy now, while my Marketplace crawls on a 16 mbps connection. I hope MS will be able to speed things up soon.

I definitely still have the delays; my penalty for too many purchases apparently, as my profile continues to grow in size I fear the delays will continue to increase and this is with my 50Mbps connection.

Are the music stores going to get anything more than what they have now? They already have their separate "store fronts" in Game Add-ons. I visit the Lips store every week since the in-game Get Music is exponentially worse if not an order of magnitude worse in its delays than the NXE.

Probably no help to you, but I've heard that if you have an arcade with built-in memory, copying your profile to the built-in MU will give you performance gains.

I don't have the problem anymore. It went away. Not sure why. Everything is fast now.

Haven't seen or heard anything other than user-generated tracks for Rock Band. I'm just glad they're getting their own stores seperate from Add-Ons since everytime I go there the newest arrivals are always full of Rock Band or Guitar Hero tracks. Crowds out the non-music games.

Tommy McClain

Games: 800 items
Game Demos: 374 items
Videos: 729 items

Here's mine...

Games: 649 items
Game Demos: 585 items
Videos: 99 items

You only got 570 more items in your history than I do. LOL ;)

Tommy McClain

Also, according to that press release MS will be adding PayPal as a payment option on the web Marketplace.

The PayPal feature went live this evening...

Major Nelson said:
PayPal is currently supported for Xbox LIVE users in the U.S. only.
PayPal can only be used to purchase Microsoft Points on Xbox.com.
PayPal accounts are not available for purchasing Microsoft Points on the Xbox 360 console.

You can associate multiple Pay Pal accounts with your Xbox LIVE account.

Go here to add your PayPal account to your Xbox account...

https://www.xbox.com/accounts

Tommy McClain

EDIT: I added my account. Pretty simple. Not sure if it's any better than having my debit card associated with it. Some people might prefer it. Wished they offered you a discount for using it.

I don't really want to associate any credit source with my 360 account, after the PITA it was to remove it earlier this year, so I wish you could use it for one-off payments. Guess I'm sticking to prepaid cards.

I don't really want to associate any credit source with my 360 account, after the PITA it was to remove it earlier this year, so I wish you could use it for one-off payments. Guess I'm sticking to prepaid cards.

Don't have PayPal? If you did, then that would be ideal since it can only be used to buy MS Points.

Tommy McClain

I thought I already wrote this but maybe not... I think we're experiencing the beta part of the upgrade. Sometimes it is BLAZING fast and other times it is so slow it doesn't even load the icons infront of the avatars on the friends list and other times its so slow it doesnt even load the avatars for a couple of minutes.

Too bad too, because I like watching Nav play with his warthog :)

Sometimes it is BLAZING fast and other times it is so slow.

Too bad too, because I like watching Nav play with his warthog :)

I don't have much of a game history, but there were times it was slow for me as well.

I too was watching Nav drive his warthog around this evening. :LOL:

Did anyone get disconnected from XBL tonight, around 11:05 pm EST? A coworker and I were hitting up thenew Dark Corner's Horde when we were both disconnected. We're both in the NXE Preview but have different internet providers.

I don't have much of a game history, but there were times it was slow for me as well.

I too was watching Nav drive his warthog around this evening. :LOL:

Did anyone get disconnected from XBL tonight, around 11:05 pm EST? A coworker and I were hitting up thenew Dark Corner's Horde when we were both disconnected. We're both in the NXE Preview but have different internet providers.

Yes but I am now connected again.

I got disconnected tonight as well, about 8:30 PST or so. Tried to get back in later to download the batman demo but it wouldn't connect at all.

I've always wondered about this, but doesn't the UK price include a (rather hefty) value added tax?
15%. A $30 tax-free list price translates to ~£18. Add 15% VAT and that's ~£20. Microsofts 2400 points is $30, £20, so that's about right. As I noticed later, the problem is that regional pricing has price-hiked a couple of titles.

15%. A $30 tax-free list price translates to ~£18. Add 15% VAT and that's ~£20. Microsofts 2400 points is $30, £20, so that's about right. As I noticed later, the problem is that regional pricing has price-hiked a couple of titles.

Off topic, apologies in advance:

Ahh...so your VAT is actually quite reasonable. (I suppose it depends on your definition of reasonable.) I thought it was higher, because in the US we occasionally hear about proposals to replace the income tax with a VAT, which would then have to be in the ~40% range. Of course, I see that you have an income tax as well, so I'm not complaining...

That is no longer an issue. I removed 6 cards within about 2 minutes last month all from xbox.com. It only got tricky when my Creators Club was linked to one, Live to another, and the debit card I use now was what I wanted to use. I just needed to set the primary to my debit card (from billing.microsoft) and then I was able to remove everything. For the cards that weren't linked to anything it is just a "remove" link from xbox.com.

What I loathe about MSFT billing is that it takes them almost a month to post a charge to an account for auto-renewal accounts. My July Creators Club subscription didn't post until this week. My November Live auto-renewal probably won't post until Christmas, that is unacceptable.

Have you had a chance to look into getting a Live card like off of Amazon? For 6 years I have been doing the auto renewal and decided to jump on the deals at Amazon and got 12+1 months, PGR4, 360 Key pad all for $50

Have you had a chance to look into getting a Live card like off of Amazon? For 6 years I have been doing the auto renewal and decided to jump on the deals at Amazon and got 12+1 months, PGR4, 360 Key pad all for $50

i did the same.... had renewed automatically on a credit card linked to my account for years and then bought that deal with the text pad, PGR, extra months... pretty sweet! I'll be looking for those deals from now on.

as NavNuc said, it used to be hard to remove CCs but they added an easy, remove or change, edit feature for all your linked accounts at Xbox.com.

as NavNuc said, it used to be hard to remove CCs but they added an easy, remove or change, edit feature for all your linked accounts at Xbox.com.

Yeah, I mostly got burned slightly when I didn't bother to replace my expiring credit card (as I was going to stick to silver for a while) only to then find out that I couldn't even log into my silver account, since MS said I owed them money. Solved with a phonecall, but bitter misanthropes like me that's painful.

Back