nvidiasucks.com

well, not Linux but doesnt still MS use BSD on their servers instead of their own server edition??

I can't believe you've dug out a thread dead for more than TEN YEARS - holy cow!!!oneoneeleven

Linus Torvalds Calls NVIDIA The Worst Company Ever

Torvalds began by stating that NVIDIA is an exception to Linux support rather than the rule in terms of their lack of friendliness towards open-source drivers and the Linux community, etc. He also mentioned he is happy to publicly point them out and their problems, so his NVIDIA statements continued...

After saying that NVIDIA is "one of the worst trouble spots we've had with hardware manufacturers", Linus Torvalds continued on to say, "NVIDIA has been the single worst company we have ever dealt with."

Torvalds ended his NVIDIA comments with "NVIDIA: FUCK YOU!" while raising his middle finger to the camera.

Interesting, and also confusing considering NV's linux drivers have been considered superior to the competition's basically throughout all of recorded history from what I can remember hearing and reading... Not that I keep up with Linux news mind you, so I could be wrong of course. :)

Interesting, and also confusing considering NV's linux drivers have been considered superior to the competition's basically throughout all of recorded history from what I can remember hearing and reading... Not that I keep up with Linux news mind you, so I could be wrong of course. :)
Ideologically, Nvidia is at the opposite end of the spectrum to Linux.

yea thats kinda a slap in the face, he should have said thank you instead of f-you.

its a shame they still cant distribute the drivers with the os, but acting like a 12 year old isnt going to help.

yea thats kinda a slap in the face, he should have said thank you instead of f-you.

its a shame they still cant distribute the drivers with the os, but acting like a 12 year old isnt going to help.
If you think that's 12 year old maturity, I have news for you.

Not surprising, while Nvidia's closed source drivers are pretty good for linux, they have horrible support for open source driver developement on Linux. AMD are significantly better with regards to supporting open source driver developement from what I understand.

Regards,
SB

Not surprising, while Nvidia's closed source drivers are pretty good for linux, they have horrible support for open source driver developement on Linux. AMD are significantly better with regards to supporting open source driver developement from what I understand.

Regards,
SB
The Linux foundation and AMD (who's actually a member) are ideologically aligned -- they both support FOSS and despise proprietary standards.

Nvidia's a member as well... but obviously they haven't done crap towards contributing.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's the big deal with open source drivers anyway, other than for completely ideological reasons? Most people have neither the time, interest or competence to compile their own binaries.

What's the big deal with open source drivers anyway, other than for completely ideological reasons? Most people have neither the time, interest or competence to compile their own binaries.

Open drivers "just work" (when they do). Binary drivers can usually not be distributed together with the rest of the distribution or installed automatically due to license reasons.

Open drivers allow kernel developers to debug problems. Bug reports from systems using the Nvidia binary driver will almost always simply be ignored because the developers have no way to know if the driver does something wrong or interacts badly with another subsystem. (This is called kernel "tainting".)

Finally, the binary drivers of Nvidia and AMD don't use the latest technologies, making it impossible for example to get a fully graphical boot or causing extra display mode changes in some cases.

Over to NVIDIA to reply. Knowing NVIDIA they will turn this into some sort of PR campaign and gain millions of Linux users loyalty at the same time. Go NVIDIA! ;)

Back