NVIDIA Tegra Architecture

What difference does it make if and in which benchmarks a competing solution to T4 will win? It'll be rendered as "irrelevant" at a blink of an eye and only the lies and nonsense displayed in NV's marketing crap will be the new mantra to chant on.

Wut? Getting ahead of ourselves much?

Samsung will be too busy pumping enough Exynos chips to their own products, Qualcomm has been historically out of tablet designs because OEMs will just pay more to get their chips into high-end smartphones and Texas Instruments is out of the race.

For all we know, Tegra 4 could be the SoC of choice for most non-Samsung tablets (just like Tegra 3 before it?) and Tegra 4i could still get many design wins in midrange models.

Wut? Getting ahead of ourselves much?

Samsung will be too busy pumping enough Exynos chips to their own products, Qualcomm has been historically out of tablet designs because OEMs will just pay more to get their chips into high-end smartphones and Texas Instruments is out of the race.

For all we know, Tegra 4 could be the SoC of choice for most non-Samsung tablets (just like Tegra 3 before it?) and Tegra 4i could still get many design wins in midrange models.

Where's the relevance to my former post in the first place? There are ton's of "mistakes" and "misconceptions" in NV's T4/4i marketing material, which could be accidential or on purpose. With NV's marketing track record feel free to believe what you want.

As for the rest above I'm still waiting for sales volumes and/or market share persentages for Tegra3 and the past year, since it's obviously not the first time I read a similar sentence as the last one from you. And no that obviously doesn't have anything to do anything with my former paragraph nor my former post.

Oh ok I guess I read that post wrong, as it seemed to me you were sentencing Tegra 4 to doom before due time. It turns out it was just a criticism to nVidia's underhanded marketing plots.

As for the other clarification, suit yourself:

5OITNJu.jpg

I remember most people thinking that the Kindle Fire with an OMAP4430 was reigning supreme over all Android tablets. This is clearly not true.
Asus stands quite a bit over the Kindle Fire as you can see. Save for a 3G-enabled Infinity model that became so delayed/obscure that I'm not even sure it was ever sold, Asus only uses Tegra 3 in their tablets: Nexus 7, Transformer line and MemoPAD line.
The same goes for most Acer, Toshiba and Sony tablets.
I have no doubt that the Tegra 3 is in a substantial chunk of that 31% chunk of "others", and for the reasons I stated in my previous post, there seems to be a place for Tegra 4 in tablets.

Nonetheless, we already know that HP, Toshiba and Vizio are launching Tegra 4 tablets. Asus will announce their next-gen Transformer line during Computex in early June and rumours already indicate that they will keep using nVidia's SoCs.

Oh ok I guess I read that post wrong, as it seemed to me you were sentencing Tegra 4 to doom before due time. It turns out it was just a criticism to nVidia's underhanded marketing plots.

Things don't have a marvellous outlook either; nonetheless NV expects itself sales for this year to remain flat.

As for the other clarification, suit yourself:

I remember most people thinking that the Kindle Fire with an OMAP4430 was reigning supreme over all Android tablets. This is clearly not true.
Asus stands quite a bit over the Kindle Fire as you can see. Save for a 3G-enabled Infinity model that became so delayed/obscure that I'm not even sure it was ever sold, Asus only uses Tegra 3 in their tablets: Nexus 7, Transformer line and MemoPAD line.

So how many Tegra3's are under Asus exactly? Up to end of January it should had been over 6 Mio units and Amazon definitely didn't sell "only" 6 Mio tablets for the past year.

The same goes for most Acer, Toshiba and Sony tablets.
I have no doubt that the Tegra 3 is in a substantial chunk of that 31% chunk of "others", and for the reasons I stated in my previous post, there seems to be a place for Tegra 4 in tablets.

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1726891&postcount=1038

I was myself surprised with the Hexus claim above; got anything that speaks against it or more precise T3 sales volumes. But to put into a different perspective even if they sold 20M T3s in the past year its still peanuts for the overall tablet market share and a needle in the heystack for the overall SFF mobile market.

Nonetheless, we already know that HP, Toshiba and Vizio are launching Tegra 4 tablets. Asus will announce their next-gen Transformer line during Computex in early June and rumours already indicate that they will keep using nVidia's SoCs.

Yes but they could each sell a million or less each per year. If you're very generous you're at 2Mio each and 6 Mio total for which I don't think so. With sales being predicted as flat by NV and they themselves claiming that T4i has a quite a few design wins (which I have no reason NOT to believe at this point) you might want to re-think the entire story.

Interesting device for one of the first Tegra 4 releases:

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/ads/x2/slatebook-x2.html

Not available until August, however.

The $479 USD retail price for SlateBook x2 includes a detachable keyboard (with extra battery inside the keyboard), 1080p Full HD screen, Tegra 4, etc. so not too bad, and certainly much better performance and much better value than the Surface RT. Surface RT really needs the latest and greatest SoC hardware and a more aggressive price point to better compete.

The $479 USD retail price for SlateBook x2 includes a detachable keyboard (with extra battery inside the keyboard), 1080p Full HD screen, Tegra 4, etc. so not too bad, and certainly much better performance and much better value than the Surface RT. Surface RT really needs the latest and greatest SoC hardware and a more aggressive price point to better compete.

Speaking of which, what are the chances of surface rt equipping such a chip?

Speaking of which, what are the chances of surface rt equipping such a chip?

Who knows. NVIDIA did indicate some weeks ago that Tegra 4 was ahead of Tegra 3 with respect to design wins in all areas except for one where Tegra 4's three month delay caused them to miss one design win, but that was likely referring to the Nexus 7 refresh due ~ June 2013 and not any Windows RT tablet.

On a side note, it appears that HP is offering an Envy x2 Windows 8 convertible with Atom Z2760 for at least $150 USD more than SlateBook x2, even though the latter has a faster CPU and faster GPU. Bizarre.

Who knows. NVIDIA did indicate some weeks ago that Tegra 4 was ahead of Tegra 3 with respect to design wins in all areas except for one where Tegra 4's three month delay caused them to miss one design win, but that was likely referring to the Nexus 7 refresh due ~ June 2013 and not any Windows RT tablet.

On a side note, it appears that HP is offering an Envy x2 Windows 8 convertible with Atom Z2760 for at least $150 USD more than SlateBook x2, even though the latter has a faster CPU and faster GPU. Bizarre.

Yea very odd indeed, im going to hang out on a limb and say surface rt 2 will be a tegra 4 chip, for that purpose it would be an impressive upgrade over its predecessor.

Refreshed Nexus 7 isn't out yet and since it hasn't been announced, it might be coming at the same time as many Tegra 4 tablets (and it might still come with a Tegra 4 despite the current rumours).

If Tegra 4 was available 3 months earlier, it might have been able to go into the HTC One, and follow its predecessor in using Tegra chips.

Atom chips are reportedly more expensive than the highest-end ARM SoCs and Windows 8 isn't free like Android..

The Z2760 has a recommended price of $41 - http://ark.intel.com/products/70105/Intel-Atom-Processor-Z2760-1MB-Cache-1_80-GHz

Based on that Nvidia must be paying HP to take Tegra 4 off their hands. This shouldn't be surprising - when you don't have the best chip then you do what you can to at least increase market share and mind share, and that's what Nvidia's Tegra plan is right now.

I have to say that at that price Nvidia might have a winner in that regard. Sooner or later they have to start making money on Tegra though.

Last edited by a moderator:
While we users can never be sure, multiple rumors in the press point at Qualcomm's direction for the Nexus7 tablet successor.

While we users can never be sure, multiple rumors in the press point at Qualcomm's direction for the Nexus7 tablet successor.

Yes, the same rumours that suggest a 1080p screen, 5MP back camera and wireless charging for the Nexus 7 while maintaining the same price point.

Has Qualcomm SOCs been used in tablets before?

AFAIR, HP Touchpad and HTC Flyer, but that was 2/3 SoC generations ago.

As I said, Qualcomm hasn't been in the tablet business. Their baseband integration are less important in tablets.

That's why I asked, because I couldn't think of any.

Plus I guess Qualcomm SOCs are more power-efficient, for smaller form factors and less battery capacity.

I though also that Tegras had integrated basebands too? They got that software baseband technology from a company they acquired a couple of years ago?

That's why I asked, because I couldn't think of any.

Plus I guess Qualcomm SOCs are more power-efficient, for smaller form factors and less battery capacity.

I though also that Tegras had integrated basebands too? They got that software baseband technology from a company they acquired a couple of years ago?

The Tegra 4i, scheduled for Q4 this year, will be the first Tegra with integrated baseband. But it's a very different chip from the vanilla Tegra 4.

AFAIR, HP Touchpad and HTC Flyer, but that was 2/3 SoC generations ago.

As I said, Qualcomm hasn't been in the tablet business. Their baseband integration are less important in tablets.

They're not as high profile in tablets but Qualcomm does make SoCs that don't have integrated basebands. They list 9 tablets here:

http://www.qualcomm.com/snapdragon/tablets-pcs

Four of them are using current gen SoCs (S4+), the other 5 using last gen (S3).

Qualcomm is all but confirmed to have the win for Nexus 7 so their tablet share will probably go up substantially. I don't think they'll have any great difficulty outdoing nVidia this generation.

Yes, I think there is little doubt that the Nexus 7 refresh will use an S4 Pro or S600 SoC variant. Tegra 4 was not ready in time for such a high volume product, and also would have been oddly positioned against the slower Nexus 10. I would have liked to see Google keep a Nexus 7 variant while offering a higher end Nexus 7.7 or Nexus 8 variant, but that may not be in the cards.

Back