NVIDIA Tegra Architecture

I'm pretty sure that what Jen-Hsu Huang meant was that Kepler's "footprint" will be in an upcoming Tegra SoC in the same way as the Adreno family has bits from Xenos, nothing else.

One has to keep in mind that with the coming of Windows 8, the target platform for Tegra won't be restricted to the sub-2w range anymore. Clamshell fall in the 5-10W range.

True. Yet Jensen's comment included superphones.

True. Yet Jensen's comment included superphones.

Which, given nVidia's relative lack of resources, will likely mean a downclocked/carved version of the 5-10W variant.

There aren't many companies that are able to keep separate architectures for many different product lines. nVidia's focus has thus far been on tablets and I would assume clamshells with Windows 8. This consequently means smartphone SoC's will be a derivative rather than something targeted specifically for that power/size envelope.

Of course, that doesn't mean there aren't plans for divergent lines. Grey and its successors may never see the Kepler architecture, for instance.

Now that the HTC One S/X's reviews are coming up, I have to say I'm impressed at how nVidia pulled off the marketing stunt for quad-core.
All the uneducated reviewers seem to underestimate all dual-core SoCs (even the superior dual-core Kraits!) because they're not quad-cores like Tegra 3, as if it won't be high-end enough if it's not a quad-core.

I wonder if this will put pressure on releasing quad-core Cortex A15s on all vendors.

Now that the HTC One S/X's reviews are coming up, I have to say I'm impressed at how nVidia pulled off the marketing stunt for quad-core.
All the uneducated reviewers seem to underestimate all dual-core SoCs (even the superior dual-core Kraits!) because they're not quad-cores like Tegra 3, as if it won't be high-end enough if it's not a quad-core.

I wonder if this will put pressure on releasing quad-core Cortex A15s on all vendors.

The gpu face off between Nvidia/Adreno seems to be fairly even... @720p Tegra has a small lead of about 8fps....(GL bench) @ 1080p the gap closes to 3fps( increased bandwidth?) likely if we swapped over to the other popular Gpu benchmark where Adreno dominates ...Tegra woukd get a beatdown..how realistic that is who knows?

What is a deciding factor seems to be software..via Tegra zone which is just better than on Qualcomm for now.

Some will be veryn suprised to see the batterylife figures for Tegra 3...very very good even when playing games...who said quad cores were un needed battery guzzlers?? Verge also stated that all round performance was nearly identical between S4 and Tegra 3..despite swapping various benchmark wins...

This puts an end to the idea that we shouldn't have quad core phones...for any other reason other than an increase in phone cost.:p

And although some will say the Batterylife performance was down to the 'shadow core' rather than any benefit of 'multicores per se' i disagree;)

There is now no excuse for Nokia/Microsoft to use any lame excuses why we can't have quad S4 for Nokia phones...none at all....swap a quad S4 @ 1.5ghz...with HKMG and adreno 320...mildly clocked...and we would have a perfect smartphone..with plenty of power for any apps/games development..AND (despite the naysayers) GREAT BATTERYLIFE.:D

In my stress test with continuous streaming video at maximum loudspeaker volume and maximum screen brightness while connected to both Wi-Fi and 3G, I got four hours and 22 minutes of usage before the phone turned itself off. In a more reasonable test involving "normal" usage, the One X yielded 13 hours and 38 minutes, including a half hour of continuous Riptide gameplay (which looks amazing on this processor and display, by the way) and well over a dozen benchmark runs of various types.
verge;
http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/2/2919202/htc-one-x-review

Last edited by a moderator:

It's not that long ago that dual core Krait appeared; it'll take its time until the technology establishes itself in the average consumers' perception.

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/26597-qualcomm-talks-quad-core-s4-chips

Depends where the main focus exactly lies. Frankly I expected to see A30 in dual A9 versions too but so far anything we've seen is all quad core even for smartphones from Tegra3. However Tegra3 is one and the same SoC with less significant differences between T30 and AP30. With Wayne serving from clamshells down to superphones somewhere and Grey taking over from that point and down to mainstream smartphones (else two different SoCs) the picture could change quite a bit for NVIDIA.

Whether dual core Krait or dual A15 at quite high frequencies after H2 2012 probably I don't see an absolute necessity for anything quad core for smart-phones, but that's just probably me.

ToTTenTranz said:

CPU performance for both phones is great and way above anything we've seen before. Battery life is acceptable for both. Graphics performance is very similar. The One X has a great screen. The One S has a pen-tile. Yuck.

I don't know what your concerns are, exactly, with the Tegra 3 in the One X, but after reading both reviews I don't think there's much doubt that the One X is better than the One S?

I don't see a marketing stunt, one either side. Just 2 very capable phone SOCs?

CPU performance for both phones is great and way above anything we've seen before. Battery life is acceptable for both. Graphics performance is very similar. The One X has a great screen. The One S has a pen-tile. Yuck.

I don't know what your concerns are, exactly, with the Tegra 3 in the One X, but after reading both reviews I don't think there's much doubt that the One X is better than the One S?

I don't see a marketing stunt, one either side. Just 2 very capable phone SOCs?

Don't get me wrong, of course I know both SoCs have stupendous performance for a smartphone. It's just that I'm seeing way too often comments like "the new Snapdragon S4 performs well, too bad it's not a quad-core CPU + 12-core GPU like Tegra 3".

ToTTenTranz said:
Don't get me wrong, of course I know both SoCs have stupendous performance for a smartphone. It's just that I'm seeing way too often comments like "the new Snapdragon S4 performs well, too bad it's not a quad-core CPU + 12-core GPU like Tegra 3".
Well, the quad-core is a technical reality, not a marketing stunt. They'd be crazy not to make a point of it. ;)

A more interesting question would be to lock down 2 of the 4 cores and see if it makes any difference in real use cases. Since this is Android and thus totally open, it should be a piece of came to try this out.

Well, the quad-core is a technical reality, not a marketing stunt. They'd be crazy not to make a point of it. ;)

A more interesting question would be to lock down 2 of the 4 cores and see if it makes any difference in real use cases. Since this is Android and thus totally open, it should be a piece of came to try this out.

While Android is open, the various versions the manufacturers run aren't. And love or hate them, they do bring about many performance optimizations -- particularly at the driver level -- that vanilla Android doesn't have access to.

metafor said:
While Android is open, the various versions the manufacturers run aren't. And love or hate them, they do bring about many performance optimizations -- particularly at the driver level -- that vanilla Android doesn't have access to.
Don't these optimizations end up in the open source tree eventually? Or is this similar to the binary modules of the regular Linux kernel?

Don't these optimizations end up in the open source tree eventually? Or is this similar to the binary modules of the regular Linux kernel?

Generally these things are kept in binary. There's also the specific tweaks to the browser, apps, UI rendering layer that happen and don't get put into the source tree.

Does the android source tree contain the binary drivers for many of the devices in the SoC? GPU/video/.....

Similar to what ASUS did with Transformer prime? and Sammy with GS2?

Seems to be implying that nVidia will be using the same core muxing strategy they used on Tegra 3 but with Cortex-A15s. If that's really what it means then I don't buy it. It works on Tegra 3 because the L2 cache is decoupled from the cores. That's no longer true with A15, so a "companion core" would be a heavy modification of what ARM's offering, and I doubt they're interested in providing such a thing instead of big.LITTLE.

Five A15s would also put them at a big die area disadvantage vs dual A15 SoCs, either in having much less to spend on other things like the GPU or IMC, going with low cache values (I can see it now, 4 cores sharing 1MB of L2 cache again..), or offering much bigger dies. Across their entire A15 product offerings, apparently.

I also wonder where that third option (screen size?) even fits into this. Are none of these products supposed to be meant for phones at all?

Seems to be implying that nVidia will be using the same core muxing strategy they used on Tegra 3 but with Cortex-A15s. If that's really what it means then I don't buy it. It works on Tegra 3 because the L2 cache is decoupled from the cores. That's no longer true with A15, so a "companion core" would be a heavy modification of what ARM's offering, and I doubt they're interested in providing such a thing instead of big.LITTLE.

Five A15s would also put them at a big die area disadvantage vs dual A15 SoCs, either in having much less to spend on other things like the GPU or IMC, going with low cache values (I can see it now, 4 cores sharing 1MB of L2 cache again..), or offering much bigger dies. Across their entire A15 product offerings, apparently.

I also wonder where that third option (screen size?) even fits into this. Are none of these products supposed to be meant for phones at all?

Why 5 A15's?? I would think 4+1 would be four A15's and one A7?? i thought Tegra 3 was a trial run for that architecture?

I thought L2 was decoupled from All new arm cores? Don't forget its also on 28nm which will help matters..

Back