NVIDIA Tegra Architecture

Description says Shield Android TV Console. No way that's the NX.

Shield TV 2 seems the most likely.
Hopefully they use Parker, upgrade the RAM to 4GB and maybe an increase in NAND storage.

Maybe TSMC is ending their planar 20nm production altogether. The advantages of 20nm before a much cheaper and matured 28nm are small and FinFet is ramping up fast enough to become cheaper.

True. However considering there's nothing in sight that comes even close to the original Shield, I'm not so sure either if a refresh is "that" necessary right now.

I agree, but there are several reasons why they would do a refresh.
Perhaps it's actually cheaper to make? promotes their new chip early as a way of advertising to potential customers? Maybe TSMC is pressuring them to lower 20nm wafer requirements?
Obviously I pulled them from my ass, but the point is that the hardware being currently sufficient is a terrible reason to not expect an updated model.

When you're that much ahead of your competition and you might be better off dedicating your not unlimited resources to other projects that make a buck or two more, then it's not a terrible reason at all.

Competition for what exactly? Active-cooled and expensive-ish android TV boxes?

As you know perfectly well performance is never for free. It's a high end set top box and very well worth its money. What kind of performance do you exactly get from another set top box for half its price?

As you know perfectly well performance is never for free. It's a high end set top box and very well worth its money. What kind of performance do you exactly get from another set top box for half its price?

It could be as powerful as a $5000 PC but without a substantial amount of gaming content that will take advantage of it, why bother?
I just don't see a market for it other than an extremely small niche.

- If you own a 1080p TV and want netflix or other streaming service, you're better off buying a much cheaper android box for $80 or so.

- If you own a 4K TV and want netflix/streaming, then it's most probably a smart TV that already has a netflix app for 4K streaming.

- If you want 4K to a non-smart TV or a projector, you're $100 away from a Xbone S which will also double as a UHD BluRay player with HDR.

- If you want gaming, you're $100 away from a PS4/Xbone S which are both a lot more powerful and have the full weight of Sony/Microsoft's dedication to gaming libraries

- If you want 1080p video content plus the ability to install apps (different browsers, download managers, etc.) like a proper HTPC, then you're much better off with a CherryTrail mini-PC for ~$150 where you have an infinite win32 library plus the UWP stuff.

So who exactly is the Tegra TV for?
People who own a non-smart 4K TV or projector and want to watch 4K netflix and is $100 short for a Xbone S? For people who want gaming and will be glad to play up to a dozen of ports of 5-10 year old PC games?

Heck, if I had to choose a device for gaming for up to $200, I'd much rather pick a CherryTrail windows PC and get access to thousands of great older games for little money on bundles than to be stuck with the library available for the Tegra TV.

Maybe there's a reason why nobody else is trying to make a "high-end" Android TV box, even though many companies could put a Snapdragon 820 or Exynos 8890 into a box and call it a day. Amazon with all their content and game developer teams and digital distribution etc. certainly never tried to make a follow-up to the Fire TV as a gaming device (the latest 2015 model has a mid-end Mediatek AFAIK), and Google never updated the Nexus Player.

If Android gaming wasn't a pathetic wreck from a "real games" standpoint, Shield TV would probably be more interesting.

I think the vast swath of games included with GeForce Now for $8/mo is actually somewhat impressive. If you didn't own any of those, there's some fun there for sure. Is there something like that on MS/Sony?

Last edited:
It could be as powerful as a $5000 PC but without a substantial amount of gaming content that will take advantage of it, why bother?
I just don't see a market for it other than an extremely small niche.

- If you own a 1080p TV and want netflix or other streaming service, you're better off buying a much cheaper android box for $80 or so.

- If you own a 4K TV and want netflix/streaming, then it's most probably a smart TV that already has a netflix app for 4K streaming.

- If you want 4K to a non-smart TV or a projector, you're $100 away from a Xbone S which will also double as a UHD BluRay player with HDR.

- If you want gaming, you're $100 away from a PS4/Xbone S which are both a lot more powerful and have the full weight of Sony/Microsoft's dedication to gaming libraries

- If you want 1080p video content plus the ability to install apps (different browsers, download managers, etc.) like a proper HTPC, then you're much better off with a CherryTrail mini-PC for ~$150 where you have an infinite win32 library plus the UWP stuff.

So who exactly is the Tegra TV for?
People who own a non-smart 4K TV or projector and want to watch 4K netflix and is $100 short for a Xbone S? For people who want gaming and will be glad to play up to a dozen of ports of 5-10 year old PC games?

Heck, if I had to choose a device for gaming for up to $200, I'd much rather pick a CherryTrail windows PC and get access to thousands of great older games for little money on bundles than to be stuck with the library available for the Tegra TV.

Maybe there's a reason why nobody else is trying to make a "high-end" Android TV box, even though many companies could put a Snapdragon 820 or Exynos 8890 into a box and call it a day. Amazon with all their content and game developer teams and digital distribution etc. certainly never tried to make a follow-up to the Fire TV as a gaming device (the latest 2015 model has a mid-end Mediatek AFAIK), and Google never updated the Nexus Player.

Is there any purpose for the long winded essay? The point was NOT if the device per se is a necessity. To stick with your reasoning: if it's not a necessity as it is then there's two times NO necessity for an update for it. This doesn't change however if the device is worth its money or not. We really could do better instead of arguing because we don't have a reason to argue......

Is there any purpose for the long winded essay? The point was NOT if the device per se is a necessity. To stick with your reasoning: if it's not a necessity as it is then there's two times NO necessity for an update for it. This doesn't change however if the device is worth its money or not. We really could do better instead of arguing because we don't have a reason to argue......

Yes, we're agreeing with each other. I misread your former post, sorry.

My only point was I think the reason they're updating the Shield TV is because 20nm may be on its way to become EOL'd and they have Parker on mass production, and not because the product is so successful that it needs an update.

If Android gaming wasn't a pathetic wreck from a "real games" standpoint, Shield TV would probably be more interesting.
And nvidia is 80% responsible for that pathetic wreck because they're tying all AAA ports into their own hardware which only a handful of people own.
What good is spending money on porting games if you're also spending money on perpetuating the fact that the OS as a whole is severely lackluster for games?

I don't think that the fail in Android gaming falls with nvidia. Its just that Android (or iOS for that matter) itself, plus the mobile form factor (no good controls, sharing of battery life for phone functions, not upgradable despite evolution) is not suitable for gaming outside casual gaming. Plus it's reliance on mainly F2P does not attract the sort of studios that would do big titles. Even if nvidia would support an open gaming ecosystem on Android, it would still not happen.

We'll disagree on who has fault and who doesn't. There are plenty of Android phones and plenty of bluetooth gamepads that could perfectly run Portal, Half-Life 2, Doom 3, Trine 2, Resident Evil 5 and Borderlands. Those titles could propel the Android gaming scene to new heights were they available to devices with OpenGL ES 3.0 GPUs (and they would probably be playable on almost anything even if you had to scale the resolution down to 480p).

I don't think it is handy at all to carry around a gamepad. Plus, a phone is above all made for you to be contactable anywhere. If you use it for serious gaming its battery life is greatly reduced, making it pointless as phone. Maybe if someone would launch a stand alone handset for gaming alone with Android it would have some success. But like your comparison between Shield TV and PS4/ XO, why would anyone do that when there are already 3DS / PS VITA? It just does not make sense.

I don't think it is handy at all to carry around a gamepad. Plus, a phone is above all made for you to be contactable anywhere. If you use it for serious gaming its battery life is greatly reduced, making it pointless as phone.

As I said above, I disagree. Some gamepads are really compact, functional and even act as powerbanks for your smartphone. Battery life will only be a problem for people who are on the go without a power plug for the whole day, people who sit at desks like students and most IT/bureaucracy/law/etc. related jobs can probably get easy access to a charger and nowadays many phones will charge really fast up to ~80%.

Regardless, we'll never know because those games are locked for good to an irrelevant amount of people.

Back