NVIDIA shows signs ... [2008 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, it's getting brutal. :LOL:

Crazy Rumor: Intel to Acquire Nvidia, Jen-Hsun the New CEO of Intel?

But do you see how weak AMD is. We are in a period now when NV by different means post very positive news about their future or their products, while at the same time AMD cares only to say how bad the situation is, how they will struggle, they need more time to adopt new processes, bla bla. Sad story.

The reasonable response should be that SAMSUNG Acquires AMD.

Last edited by a moderator:
BSN thinks someone saying something that sounds insane on the Internet is news?

edit: My mistake, it seems like they heard this from unknown sources somewhere.
So someone somewhere may have said something that sounds crazy.

http://www.techpowerup.com/180389/J...orts-Graphics-Market-Down-8.2-in-Q4-2012.html

Jon Peddie Research (JPR), the industry's research and consulting firm for graphics and multimedia, announced estimated graphics chip shipments and suppliers' market share for Q4'12.

The news was disappointing for every one of the major players. AMD dropped 13.6%, Intel slipped the least, just 2.9%, and Nvidia declined the most with 16.7% quarter-to-quarter change, this coming on the heels of a spectacular third quarter. The overall PC market actually grew 2.8% quarter-to-quarter while the graphics market declined 8.2% reflecting a decline in double-attach. That may be attributed to Intel's improved embedded graphics, finally making "good enough" a true statement.
On a year-to-year basis we found that total graphics shipments during Q4'12 dropped 11.5% as compared to PCs which declined by 5.6% overall.
Nvidia's quarter-to-quarter desktop discrete shipments fell 15.1% from last quarter; and, the company's mobile discrete shipments dropped 18.4%. The company's overall PC graphics shipments declined 16.7%.
I feel it's quite likely that the new change in reporting (desktop and pro GPU combined) was to reflect/hide this massive drop.

I'm just posting this here to finish my comments on what had been said before (plus I can't find a relevant thread)

http://www.techpowerup.com/180389/J...orts-Graphics-Market-Down-8.2-in-Q4-2012.html

I feel it's quite likely that the new change in reporting was to reflect/hide this massive drop.

Mixing Discrete GPUs and Integrated GPUs results along with missing revenue data results in useless conclusions. Like your implication that Nvidia is cooking the books.

Title of JPR report: PC market healthy, Graphics, not so. Nvidia increases market share, Intel dominates.

http://jonpeddie.com/press-releases/details/amd-intel-nvidia-q4-graphics-gpu-shipments/

AMD and Intel make CPUs that include GPUs and integrated chipsets that include GPUs. Nvidia only makes Discrete GPUs.

AMD's quarter-to-quarter total shipments of desktop heterogeneous GPU/CPUs, i.e., APUs increased 0.8% from Q3 and declined 19.1% in notebooks. The company's overall PC graphics shipments slipped 13.6%.
Note that AMD increased shipments of CPUs that had GPUs yet the overall shipments slipped 13.6%. That means AMD discrete GPUs also declined big time.

Nvidia's quarter-to-quarter desktop discrete shipments fell 15.1% from last quarter; and, the company's mobile discrete shipments dropped 18.4%. The company's overall PC graphics shipments declined 16.7%
All discrete GPUs.

Year to year this quarter AMD shipments declined 29.4%, Intel dropped 5%, Nvidia slipped 4.6%, and VIA fell 10% from last year.
Looking at it based on same quarter last year AMD slipped the most while Nvidia slipped the least.

And finally this data is based on UNIT shipments not how much revenue those shipments sold for. Revenue share is much more important.

Confused about financial threads about AMD or Nvidia

I am confused. Why are the only threads to post financial data about AMD or Nvidia in separate gloom and doom threads?

What if the post is about positive data, where should that be posted?

What if the data about Nvidia effects AMD. Does that mean I have to post twice? Once in the AMD thread and once in the Nvidia thread.

I started a new thread to consolidate all of the future possibilities both positive or negative for either AMD or Nvidia and now I see that the thread has been closed. I couldn't post this inquiry there because it is now closed.

The current existing financial threads for AMD or Nvidia are very confusing.

The name of the author alone is enough to dismiss this.

Besides, most of NVIDIA's value is in IP and products that, acquired by Intel, would be redundant.

The name of the author alone is enough to dismiss this.

Besides, most of NVIDIA's value is in IP and products that, acquired by Intel, would be redundant.

I know, but they are licensing IP already from Nvidia and it might give them some ARM stuff, but overall you are right Intel has such an advantage in terms of process that they probably don't care.

I know, but they are licensing IP already from Nvidia and it might give them some ARM stuff, but overall you are right Intel has such an advantage in terms of process that they probably don't care.

NVIDIA doesn't really have any ARM IP that would be of value to Intel. There's Denver, perhaps, but we don't know how far along that is.

Other than that, they take standard ARM cores and make SoCs with them. Intel can do that too, and probably better (the hardest part is the memory controller + interconnect, which Intel does very well).

That is as valuable as some toilet paper racing through the sewers towards its ultimate demise. Maybe less.
What is the second pages of the article saying? I see nothing wrong with the first page from an investor pov, there is no reason to be long on Nvidia for now, better evaluate the situation in +1 years and consider buying shares, quiet possibly cheaper.

EDIT
I ask about what the second page is saying not because I'm too lazy to read but because it asks me to register which I don't want to do.

The article isn't exactly balanced or measured.

That said, Tegra was supposed to compensate for the shrinkage of the discrete graphics market under the influence of much better integrated graphics. And so far, it has failed to do that, since it's never been profitable. Worse, Tegra 4 appears to be much less successful than Tegra 3, since the only design win I'm aware of is one ZTE phone which may or may not actually make it to market.

Tegra 3 was in the Google Nexus, but apparently NVIDIA's out of that. It was also in the Surface RT, but I think JH Huang's recent comments about Windows RT being a disappointment pretty clearly point to Tegra 4 being out of the next Surface RT tablet, if such a tablet is indeed planned. Generally speaking, NVIDIA is not a very large company, and Tegra is only about 20% of its business. Under such circumstances, competing against the much larger, and very much Snapdragon-focused Qualcomm is not going to get any easier.

In the short term, NVIDIA should do OK. In the long term, they might make enough money in pro graphics and fancy cloud stuff, but honestly I don't expect NVIDIA to still be around 10 years from now, maybe even not that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back