NVIDIA shows signs ... [2008 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm I can't think of a single industry where all the competitors agreed on a single consistent naming scheme for all their products. Maybe screws? Wood screws even :p

perfect examples, a T-15 screwdriver is the same head size everywhere. Philipshead looks the same too :p

Yeah, they sure can. That particular number means whatever Nvidia wants it to mean.

So 3 doesn't mean Fermi. Is that 'Wow.. just wow'-worthy? 'Morals', 'ethics', 'hurting consumers', the exasperation of the Internet tea leaf readers that divine what they think it should have meant just seems surreal to me.

It's more amazing that you or anyone finds this behavior acceptable. When I have to spend a few hours explaining these things to mainstream/gaming customers, it's a problem...

Regards,
SB

So, I take it and getting back to the screws example, you find it acceptable that a philipshead is a philipshead only in stationary use - when taking devices on the road, it suddenly becomes half as wide but keeping the same basic name like "Mobile Philipshead"?

I don't. :)

So, I take it and getting back to the screws example, you find it acceptable that a philipshead is a philipshead only in stationary use - when taking devices on the road, it suddenly becomes half as wide but keeping the same basic name like "Mobile Philipshead"?

I don't. :)

LET's shorten the rod and grip, so it becomes smaller. i.e. mobile.

It's still fit for the purpose, size of the head doesn't change, but amount of force you can use (i.e. your power) becomes less because of the shortened rod and smaller grip. Some people will complain they can't work with "mobile" parts, others will basically be happy they have any philipshead screwdriver to do the job. As long as the size of the head (i.e. GPU capabilities (SP/DP!)) doesn't change it's only logical that a pert meant for mobility isn't as powerful.

Heh, as Neliz pointed out size of grip, length of the rod, etc. determine what applications your Philipshead can be used for as well as how much "power" it has. The capabilities are still the same, but the performance and application space are completely different.

In this case, they are both Dx11 (capabilities are the same) but the mobile and desktop spaces are different applications with different power requirements.

That said, as I've stated before in the past. I would also love it if mobile chips shared the name of their similarly powered desktop counterparts.

But at least it's currently consistent that the highest single core mobile chip carries the same name as the highest single core desktop chip. May not like it, but it's logical. And I don't ding either Nvidia or ATI when they do this.

Something like in the past where ATI would rebadge past generation chips as currently generation cards I REALLY didn't like, just like I REALLY don't like that Nvidia continues to do it.

I also find it amusing that some of the same people that expressed outrage when ATI did it, find it completely and perfectly acceptable that Nvidia does it.

Regards,
SB

Tegra 2 at CES

Anandtech has an article on the Tegra 2 announcement: http://www.anandtech.com/gadgets/showdoc.aspx?i=3714
The video decode side is where NVIDIA believes it has an advantage. Tegra's video decode processor accelerates up to 1080p high profile H.264 video at bitrates in the 10s of megabits per second. The Samsung SoC in the iPhone 3GS is limited to only 480p H.264 decode despite Samsung claiming 1080p decode support on its public Cortex A8 SoC datasheets. NVIDIA insists that no one else can do 1080p decode at high bitrates in a remotely power efficient manner. Tegra's 1080p decode can be done in the low 100s of mW. NVIDIA claims that the competition often requires well over 1W of total system power to do the same because they rely on the CPU to do some of the decoding. Again, this is one of those difficult to validate claims. Imagination has demonstrated very low CPU utilization 1080p H.264 decode on its PowerVR SGX core, but I have no idea of the power consumption.

Preview is quite positve largely concentrating on the dual Cortex-A9 which i guess they had more information about, there's not really much all except above paragraph about the graphics capability, am guessing the presentation itsef was very light on details and the Cortex-A9 stuff was separately obtained from arm to fill out the article.

One big thing for me though was that the new chip doesn't include a DSP. This was also lacking in Tegra 1 and personally i attributed this for the sales not quite being as good as was initially expected. Anandtech gave a different reason for the shortfall on the next page something about nvidia using the wrong sales strategy in the market. Not totally sure i believe that - buyers explictly go for feature sets, power levels and price, the personality of the salesman wouldnt matter that much.

Thinking this part will largely be tablets, smaller netbooks maybe even some kind of HTPC things ie boxee launch product. Not nearly as confident in the smartphone space.

Revenue predictions at the start of the article look very optimistic - kind of jumping off a cliff and expecting to fly optimistic ;)

Those are TAM numbers, not Nvidia's revenue :)

Yeah i know - it really seems to be trying to give the wrong impression though, from the text:
This year alone NVIDIA estimates that there's around a $4B market for Tegra. Next year it grows to $6B. By 2013 the total available market for NVIDIA's Tegra SoC reaches over $10B. That's more money than NVIDIA ever made from the PC market.
For some reason Anand above seems to think nvidia is likely to swallow this market whole.

I have been wanting a tegra based phone for ages, and now I will be wanting a tegra 2 phone :) Too bad no one seems interested in making one.

I have been wanting a tegra based phone for ages, and now I will be wanting a tegra 2 phone :) Too bad no one seems interested in making one.

I am interested in Tegra 3 based netbooks;) running Ubuntu with flawless hw support. I wonder if anybody is interested in making them. :???:

I am sceptical about the level of hardware support, as it is likely to be a stinking pile of binary blob drivers.

I hope they start playing fair like the other vendors and release the tech docs so the OSS community can develop for the hardware without having to reverse engineer their proprietary stuff.

I am sceptical about the level of hardware support, as it is likely to be a stinking pile of binary blob drivers.

But if that binary blob is far superior to anything else on earth it's worth it.
remember the GPU plays quite a big part in Tegra. It would suck to run it at half the speed, half the features and half the stability.

Case in point my house-mate has an Intel graphics laptop, said to be one of the best open source friendly kind. Still slow in the Warcraft III menu, so no matter how powerful is comp is, it's still the same as running ubuntu 7.04 on old 1GHz machines was, 3D-gaming wise. Intel G45 shouldn't stutter in 10 year old low quality crap.

But if that binary blob is far superior to anything else on earth it's worth it.
remember the GPU plays quite a big part in Tegra. It would suck to run it at half the speed, half the features and half the stability.

Case in point my house-mate has an Intel graphics laptop, said to be one of the best open source friendly kind. Still slow in the Warcraft III menu, so no matter how powerful is comp is, it's still the same as running ubuntu 7.04 on old 1GHz machines was, 3D-gaming wise. Intel G45 shouldn't stutter in 10 year old low quality crap.

After having suffered at the hands of nv's binary blobs for ~1.5 years with suspend/resume corrupting screens, I am once bitten twice shy.

The only ray of hope seems to be that these systems will ship with Ubuntu preinstalled, so may be it'll go thru a more rigorous QA process. But then...

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news...-to-linux-on-tegra-netbooks-chooses-wince.ars

>1.5 years old but still is important to keep in mind. I'll believe that Ubuntu is a first class citizen on Tegra 2 when I see it.

FWIW, Tegra 2 already supports Ubuntu: http://tegradeveloper.nvidia.com/tegra/forum/what-operating-systems-are-supported-tegra - I'm quite curious why they are focusing so little on that fact... :)

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news...-to-linux-on-tegra-netbooks-chooses-wince.ars

After this, what has changed so radically to make them say Ubuntu is supported? It doesn't look like they will be open sourcing their video/3D drivers any time soon, so how it is gonna work out is beyond me ATM.

And it is. In fact, Nvidia's consistent cross platform strategy with their proprietary stuff has probably done more than anyone to cement Linux' position as a serious platform for everything from rendering to finance. Tech docs would surely be helpful, but credit where credit is due.

There should be phones, from nvidia's projections directly linked from the previous anandtech article:

TAM.jpg

Smartphones are just too big to miss completely, the problem there is what the competitors are currently doing in the same space

For instance look at isuppli's breakdown of the Google Nexus. Notice how much of phones BOM is taken by the main chip a qualcomm snapdragon and how simple it makes the phones design. See particularly this picture here linked off the bottom of the article. Main PCB shots top and bottom. (There's also a Motorola Droid breakdown there as well but i cant get a direct link for some reason :???: )

Compared to above a Tegra2 based solution would need additional chips to provide the equivalent communications ability, likely more expensive, power consuming and making the PCB harder. Also qualcomm can package in their own rf transceiver and power managemant chips at discount(probably wlan/bluetooth as well if needed) to make it really easily for the phone manufacturer to get their job done quickly.

Nvidia graphics is superior, just when building a phone communications is kind of important as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
and it is. In fact, nvidia's consistent cross platform strategy with their proprietary stuff has probably done more than anyone to cement linux' position as a serious platform for everything from rendering to finance. Tech docs would surely be helpful, but credit where credit is due.

lololol.. Orly ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back