Nvidia Post-Volta (Ampere?) Rumor and Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahem... Not the thread for unsubstantiated console rumors, so dont bring them here, especially when they have nothing to do with Nvidia and only has to do with feeding the stupid PC GPU Wars.

He is not wrong imo. If AMD was a danger, I bet nVidia would have been more agressive with new products and / or pricing. AMD is always 1 , 1.5 cycle behind.
How short is people's memory really? Past decade both companies have had the lead and there was couple years dead even, too. NVIDIA has really had the lead for only 3 gens
(Edit: not counting Volta as separate gen in this contex)

Past decade both companies have had the lead and there was couple years dead even, too. NVIDIA has really had the lead for only 3 gens
Since the advent of DX10/Unified Shaders, it's been a one sided battle after another, with NVIDIA constantly holding the single GPU crown (the metric that matters), with AMD sometimes coming close for a while then lagging significantly behind.

8800 Ultra significantly faster than HD 2900 XT
9800 GTX significantly faster than HD 3870
GTX 285/GTX 280 slightly faster than HD 4890/HD 4870
GTX 480 slightly faster than HD 5870
GTX 580 appreciably faster than HD 6970
GTX 680 slightly faster (at that time) than HD 7970
GTX 780 Ti slightly faster (at that time) than HD 290X
GTX 980 Ti/Titan X significantly faster than FuryX
GTX 1080 Ti/ Titan XP significantly faster than Vega 64
RTX 2080 Ti/Titan RTX significantly faster than Radeon VII

And now NVIDIA is ahead on an older node.

The situation is much worse in regards to sales too, where NVIDIA has a constant 70% and more of the marketshare ever since.

Add-in-Board-GPU-Market-Share-2002-to-Q3-2019.png

Last edited:
He is not wrong imo. If AMD was a danger, I bet nVidia would have been more agressive with new products and / or pricing. AMD is always 1 , 1.5 cycle behind.

I don’t think Nvidia could’ve been much more aggressive on products. They pretty much tapped out die size and power consumption on 12nm.

Pricing is a whole other story. Navi is showing signs of life but there’s no indication AMD will lowball pricing either.

How short is people's memory really? Past decade both companies have had the lead and there was couple years dead even, too. NVIDIA has really had the lead for only 3 gens
(Edit: not counting Volta as separate gen in this contex)

Well 3 gens is a lot. Hell AMD doesn't even compete in the high end anymore since, what, 290xt ? Fury maybe, with WC card and only 4gb...
And 7nm is not enough to beat 12nm nvidia products now. It's not a good trend. Did you use the same "don't you remember 10 years ago ?!" argument when 3dfx released dud after dud ?

Otherwise I don't get the joke.
It's not a joke, but a warning.
If AMD was a danger, I bet nVidia would have been more agressive with new products and / or pricing
They're already agressive in pricing in markets where prices matter.
Just looks at 1660S, or all Super GPUs in general.
Oh, and they can't be more agressive with the new products since they FUCKED UP.
Fucked up pretty hard at that.

Less hyperbole fanboy drivel, more friendly technical discussion, please. This is by far worse quality than any posts in the console section.

They didn't announce any deals.
No.
Lisa Su didn't sign any "exclusive" deals with TSMC either.

The only thing which is "delaying" NV's next gen architecture right now is the apparent inability of all of NV's competitors to beat whatever products NV has currently on 16/12nm. Some of said competitors aren't able to beat NV's products even with the help of said 7nm production process.

Oh, more fake news, then...?
3rd Paragraph down: (https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/294441-nvidia-will-team-up-with-samsung-for-7nm-gpu-technology ).

And yes, I read business news daily and I remembering reading that Dr Su signed a deal early, (when Global released them of their contract) with TSMC to have exclusive production of early fabs (wasn't the deal over $1b?). Even Apple had to wait until TSMC ramped up production. AMD has 13 different 7nm products from TSMC. Even more so, TSMC has chosen AMD to be their 5nm partner... as they (AMD) will be on the forefront of that node too. (Isn't there a rumor already, that AMD may already have working 5m lith.)

Well, I do not know what your metric is for "beats", but myself and nearly every reviewer out there, finds AMD's navi offering price/performance competitive. And I see rdna getting more refinement in games, than Turing over time. Making navi a great choice for any type of rig you are building, under 4k. (But I suppose rdna will enter that arena too, soon/weeks.)

Lastly, the question on everybody's mind is, how does Nvidia take a 600mm^2 die and shrink it to 400mm^2 and make it more powerful? (On their very first 7nm try..?)

All honest questions, no need to be offended. We do not know how large Ampere for gamers will be, or how Nvidia will compete with AMD's larger economy of scale.

Since the advent of DX10/Unified Shaders, it's been a one sided battle after another, with NVIDIA constantly holding the single GPU crown (the metric that matters), with AMD sometimes coming close for a while then lagging significantly behind.

8800 Ultra significantly faster than HD 2900 XT
9800 GTX significantly faster than HD 3870
GTX 285/GTX280 slightly faster than HD 4890/HD 4870
GTX 480 slightly faster than HD 5870
GTX 580 appreciably faster than HD 6970
GTX 680 slightly faster (at that time) than HD 7970
GTX 780Ti slightly faster (at that time) than HD 290X
GTX 980Ti/Titan X significantly faster than FuryX
GTX 1080Ti/ Titan XP significantly faster than Vega 64
RTX 2080Ti/Titan RTX significantly faster than Radeon VII

And now NVIDIA is ahead on an older node.

The situation is much worse in regards to sales too, where NVIDIA has a constant 70% and more of the marketshare ever since.
Pure performance, yes, but performance / watt, which is what everyone is talking about and bashing AMD for, AMD was better 'till Kepler caught up, Maxwell being first really superior

Pure performance, yes, but performance / watt, which is what everyone is talking about and bashing AMD for, AMD was better 'till Kepler caught up, Maxwell being first really superior
True, though Kepler was the start of superior NVIDIA power efficiency. However, point being, it's getting worse for AMD, first they kept losing on performance, then performance per watt, then even the node advantage, it's rock bottom now.

Good news is, AMD should only improve going forward, if they don't then something is seriously wrong up there.

Last edited:
Even more so, TSMC has chosen AMD to be their 5nm partner... as they (AMD) will be on the forefront of that node too. (Isn't there a rumor already, that AMD may already have working 5m lith.)
I believe that is only for CPU's. TSMC has already taped two other processors on 5nm, Apple's A14 and Hisilicon's new Kirin processor which should both be available in July. Zen 4 processors are expected I believe in 2021.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back