Nvidia Post-Volta (Ampere?) Rumor and Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Architecture and Products' started by Geeforcer, Nov 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Samwell

Newcomer

How do you know that they don't choose both? Nvidia is Dual-Sourcing since Pascal and there is no reason to believe that they don't use TSMC again. Could be just next gen small Chips like with Pascal. Digitimes already mentioned, that Nvidia also has TSMC 7nm contracts for this year.

2. del42sa

Newcomer

I didn´t say they never will ( in the future ) , but they choose Samsung now for a reason , don´t you think so ?

3. Geeforcer

Geeforcer Harmlessly Evil
    Veteran

4. Samwell

Newcomer

They choose Samsung for the same reason like last time. Dual-Sourcing, nothing special about it.

A1xLLcqAgt0qc2RyMz0y likes this.
  5. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

6. Malo

Malo YakTribe.games

I do remember reading some similar info and references to a TU116 chip a well. No idea if it's salvage with dead RT components or purposeful design of lower end chips without tensor/RT cores to produce small dies but with Turing/Volta design. I think I'd prefer the latter.

7. Picao84

Veteran Regular

Do you mean "removed"? What would be the purpose of continuing the current Turing series at lower price points with large dies due to Tensor and RT cores? Would it be cheaper in the long run than having independent designs without those? It just sounds odd...

Edit - I really did not understand what they were saying at first, but the news is that the GTX2080 is read as GTX1180 when running on Linux? I would say that's more likely a mistake on the Software from when no one was sure of what the nomenclature was going to be...

Regarding laptop manufacturers, they were always different from Desktop with rebrands galore and different series (e.g. There was a mobile 8xx series while desktop jumped to 9xx). I bet he mobile 11xx series are Pascal rebrands.

#187 Picao84, Jan 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  8. ToTTenTranz

If they exist, I'd bet at salvaged Turing dies with non-functioning RT hardware and/or tensor units. Basically a Volta family of consumer GPUs.

We could imagine if launching these cards would be beneficial to nvidia at all, since they should be trying to push the RTX features as much as possible, and this segmentation would hurt the RTX branding.
    Maybe they could launch it to select markets with different preferences, like Russia and China?