Nvidia Pascal Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Architecture and Products' started by DSC, Mar 25, 2014.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ailuros

Ailuros Epsilon plus three
    Legend Subscriber

I'm not worried about those at all, since according to TSMC's own statements the "boutique" fabs (where they manufacture the expensive stuff) have completely recovered. I'm rather worried if possible demand from IHVs could be higher than the actual capacities.

***edit:
    https://translate.google.de/transla...a-geforce-pascal-till-computex-2016&sandbox=1

smells like a possible paperlaunch, my gut feeling doesn't indicate though if we'll have any woodscrew moments or not....

#801 Ailuros, Feb 25, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
    BRiT likes this.
  2. huebie

Newcomer

I wouldn't bet on it ;)

3. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

We already had a woodscrew-moment with Drive PX2 equipped with Maxwells instead of claimed Pascals

BRiT likes this.
  4. Ailuros

Ailuros Epsilon plus three
    Legend Subscriber

How sure are you really that you don't want more? C'mon admit it.... :yep2::yes:

j/k obviously

#804 Ailuros, Feb 26, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
  5. nnunn

Newcomer

Question is: were those old chips actually 20nm Paxwells ?

6. CarstenS

Veteran Subscriber

nnunn likes this.
  7. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

How likely do you think it is that NVIDIA cooked up 20nm "paxwell" in week 3 of 2015 with the exact same pcb and die size as GM204?

8. nnunn

Newcomer

Sorry for the weird idea, but given the length of time Drive PX prototypes must have been evolving in the lab, and the fact that JHH must have learned that no one responds well to wood screws, why screw around? Then there’s the fact that Drive PX comes from the same rabbit hole as Tegra, and that Tegra X1 was billed as the "20nm Super Chip". Makes sense that in-house eleves would want a few wafers of the original next gen arch, given the need to keep ahead in the trillion dollar auto-auto market.

Recall 2014, how excitement turned to frustration as Nvidia kept delaying their next big thing: a cool and sexy new arch, plus 20nm! Then the rumours that something worthwhile on 20nm might not show up until early 2015. And then rumours that some parts of the (mythical?) 20nm project might get retro-fitted into a 28nm gamers card; then along comes 28nm "mini-Maxwell" to help with revenue stream.

Doesn't this fit the 20nm timeline?

Good point; but if a form factor is optimized for memory modules of the day, what's to change?

9. iMacmatician

Regular

From Sweclockers: "Nvidia Geforce "Pascal" for laptops released in mid-June" (original).

Since Fermi, we've seen chips from xx4 through xx8 and xx9 (plus one highly cut-down GF100) in the laptop space, so a priori the "Pascal for laptops" could be almost any chip(s). But my guess is that we'll see a low-end Pascal or two to replace the majority of mobile GM107 and GM108 parts.

#809 iMacmatician, Mar 4, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2016
  10. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

At least the die size

11. iMacmatician

Regular

BenchLife claims that a Pascal "GTX 1080" will launch in May.

12. silent_guy

Veteran Subscriber

In a way, that would be a little surprising: didn't some official AMD hack claim that they were months ahead of Nvidia with next-gen process silicon?
    On the other hand, it would be totally in character for them to Osborne their own product line (for no good reason) only to see the competition pass them when it matters.

Maybe the mid-year Polaris pronouncements were smoke and mirrors, and it will be introduced soon...

Either way, it's about time silly season starts. Things have been too quiet lately.

13. 3dilettante

Legend Alpha

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/01/amd-confirms-high-end-polaris-gpu-in-development-for-2016/

This was shaded to focus on the product bands that Polaris 10 and 11 go into, which a "GTX 1080" slots higher in the stack and lower in quantity.
    It may also depend on what is in quotes about the claimed Pascal schedule. Is it "'GTX 1080' will launch in May", or "'GTX 1080' will 'launch' in May" (or "'GTX 1080 will 'launch' in 'May'", etc.)

AMD seems keen on getting things ready and in volume for back to school device purchases.

If the focus is in mobile and mainstream, it's an uphill climb already in terms of market and mindshare. So it might be a proportionally smaller Osborne-ing.

14. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

They also, once again, mix GDDR5X into the rumour, even though only GDDR5X manufacturer has said that mass production will start "during summer" (and once they specified August)

15. silent_guy

Veteran Subscriber

So much for 'hack'. :) It sounded like somebody with foot in mouth disease like Roy Taylor would say!

If that was the focus, he definitely went out of his way to not make that subtle distinction.

The thing that surprises me more is not that Nvidia would have something available by mid year, but that AMD was so conservative with their Polaris availability, showing samples to the press in December and all that.

A Polaris 11 should be able to challenge most of their current product line, all the way up to a 390X, in terms of performance, right?

16. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

We haven't had a good silly season in years now, and still both AMD and NV are closed up tight like clams without giving us anything substantial. One can only hope there will be some kind of infodump come GDC...

17. pjbliverpool

pjbliverpool B3D Scallywag
    Legend

I kinda wanna save myself for the HBM2 enabled big boy. But if this (or more accurately it's GTX 1070 sibling) can outperform a 980Ti and is priced reasonably, I'll be hugely tempted... Whatever I do, I need a nice shiny new monster PC before my OR headset arrives in July!

18. 3dilettante

Legend Alpha

It could threaten that portion of the stack, and possibly higher. AMD could opt to hamstring it in some way so that it chokes at the "4K" marketing line.
    The affordable VR bullet point puts Polaris (presumably 11) in the range of the 290X. Officially, that product has been eclipsed by the 390 and Fury lines, which take up 3-4 marketing diagram boxes above the 290X, even if it might be tens of percent difference in many situations.

19. silent_guy

Veteran Subscriber

I don't think that's a major problem: introduce a 1070 with GDDR5 first, add a 1080 with GDDR5X a few months later.

20. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

I don't know if the company has commented on this or not, but I don't think nVidia is going to call Pascal the 1000 series because they never progressed through a change in decade when launching a new family.
    nVidia did Geforce 5000 - 9000 and then went to Geforce 100-900. Pascal is probably getting a new suffix and do the hundreds again or perhaps tens. Something like Geforce X180 for GP104 and Geforce X160 for GP106.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.