Nvidia Pascal Announcement

So I decided to bite the bullet and stump up for a GTX 1070. I had originally toyed with the idea of getting a 1080 but thanks to Brexit and the resulting drop in the value of Sterling, the prices of the 1080's are currently going up rather than down. I was able to find a 1070 reference for £380 which is roughly £200 cheaper than I could find an equivalent 1080 but I decided to pay a little extra for an OC version at £400 with 1784mhz boost.

It was a close toss up between that and the 980Ti Strix DC3 but in the end the lower power draw/noise, extra memory and promise of higher VR performance (even though standard performance may be slightly lower on the 1070) won out.

As long as it keeps me comfortably at the top end of 2d and VR gaming for a couple of years and at least slightly ahead of the next generation of consoles then I'm happy.

NVIDIA culls GeForce GTX 1060 3GB, will arrive as GTX 1050 in December
NVIDIA's upcoming GeForce GTX 1060 is coming very soon, ready to fight AMD's mid-range Radeon RX 480, but with the rumors there'll be two versions - in 3GB and 6GB framebuffers - we're here to clear that up.

We have had an industry insider tell us that NVIDIA has decided against releasing the 3GB variant of the GeForce GTX 1060, and instead it is all steam ahead with the standard 6GB variant. This makes sense, as releasing a mid-range card with 3GB of VRAM that's meant to be a competitor against AMD's Radeon RX 480 which comes in 4GB and 8GB flavors doesn't make much sense. Our source added that NVIDIA will instead release the GeForce GTX 1050 in December with 3GB of RAM, which makes much more sense. We should see these plans materialize very quickly, as soon as NVIDIA confirms the existence of its GeForce GTX 1050, which shouldn't be too far away now.

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/52996/nvidia-culls-geforce-gtx-1060-3gb-arrive-1050-december/index.html

Last edited:
I guess they believe the GTX 1060 6 GB can compete comfortably on a performance/price/efficiency basis against either 4 or 6 GB variants of the RX 480.

Last edited:
That's just nonsense, NVIDIA isn't putting "3GB 1060 as 1050", 3GB 1060 is just out of the picture because it would look bad against 4GB RX 480 even if it performed better. GTX 1050 is completely different (read: cut part, 3GB 1060 plans or lack of them has nothing to do with it)

Even smaller the difference is with the active GPU Boost 3.0. In the version for gaming notebooks, timing increases since the 1671 MHz, while the desktop variant soars in this mode to 1,709 MHz. We also conducted a test in the popular 3DMark Firestrike where notebook equipped with Intel Core i7-6700K, GeForce 1060 GTX and 16 GB of RAM received close to 10,300 points. The result is almost identical compared to laptops with GeForce GTX 980 on board. Yes, I know, benchmarks do not always reflect the actual gaming performance, but I hope that it will be equally high.
As for the temperature or the general mobility equipment equipped with a GeForce GTX 1060, here nothing else I can not tell;) Maybe, except that the person waiting for the new notebooks will be positively surprised
http://www.purepc.pl/notebooki/geforce_gtx_1060_mobile_pelny_uklad_gp106_trafi_do_laptopow

Last edited:
That's just nonsense, NVIDIA isn't putting "3GB 1060 as 1050", 3GB 1060 is just out of the picture because it would look bad against 4GB RX 480 even if it performed better. GTX 1050 is completely different (read: cut part, 3GB 1060 plans or lack of them has nothing to do with it)

Well what ever it is, the good news is there is no 3gb version of the 1060, That would have just been not enough memory.

Well what ever it is, the good news is there is no 3gb version of the 1060, That would have just been not enough memory.
The bad news is that there won't be a cheaper version so consumers will lost a opportunity to get better prices is the new and old hardware.

The bad news is that there won't be a cheaper version so consumers will lost a opportunity to get better prices is the new and old hardware.
TBH I think that is a good thing to balance price to expected performance as even the 4GB 480 is a future pitfall for owners and will force them to upgrade if wanting to use higher textures/etc in future games.
It is one of those situations where performance has improved enough to use near top settings in a lower tier card, but doing so really needs more than 4GB RAM that increases the price a bit.
Better to have the disappointment now rather than forking out the cash and then 8-12months down the line find you are limited in the latest game's graphic options, some I think will get caught out with expectation of these tiers performance but forgetting VRAM game requirements and how it has been increasing.
Cheers

TBH I think that is a good thing to balance price to expected performance as even the 4GB 480 is a future pitfall for owners and will force them to upgrade if wanting to use higher textures/etc in future games.
It is one of those situations where performance has improved enough to use near top settings in a lower tier card, but doing so really needs more than 4GB RAM that increases the price a bit.
Better to have the disappointment now rather than forking out the cash and then 8-12months down the line find you are limited in the latest game's graphic options, some I think will get caught out with expectation of these tiers performance but forgetting VRAM game requirements and how it has been increasing.
Cheers
Are you really telling me that is good that company sell MID-rage GPU for 300 dollars? cmon man. yeah for Nvidia its the paradise but we can't be happy for that. Now old used GPU will be more expensive because of that and the only ones that lose something are we, the consumers, we are the big losers here.

Are you really telling me that is good that company sell MID-rage GPU for 300 dollars? cmon man. yeah for Nvidia its the paradise but we can't be happy for that. Now old used GPU will be more expensive because of that and the only ones that lose something are we, the consumers, we are the big losers here.
Not my context as you deliberately ignore the cheaper 8GB AMD cards, and I notice you also going for higher priced 1060FE....
I am saying it is good that the new lower tier cards with the performance of 390-390x/970-980 are limited to 6/8GB, even if it means they are $30-$35 more because the average consumer will not consider the pitfall of games requiring more than 4GB in even the next 6-8 months when applying the maximum settings these cards can support from a performance perspective.
They will have the wrong expectation, and possibly find themselves in the bitter situation of not being able to use the card to its full potential due to the VRAM limitation, forcing an upgrade to 8GB if they want to meet their initial expectation of maximum details with good performance.
Cheers

There's also a slight chance that partner 1060 cards come in at the $250 msrp.
Yes, just like there was similar chances on 1070/1080. There probably will eventually be some, but it takes few weeks. Initially, I doubt anyone is going under FE MSRP

That is bad but I can see a card with this performance hampered by a limit of 3gb, ya really need at least 4 gb minimum. Still don't know what those two empty vram slots are for, maybe a 3 gb + 1 gb slow memory partition for 200 bucks lol, I think that would be a bad idea if they did that though. They might have a cut down version or a version clocked lower later on to fill in the 200 buck slot with 3 gb.

Yes, now they are. On launch they weren't, it took few weeks to get them under FE MSRP
Nope. They always had this pricing as I checked on day 1 and after. As with all their products there is huge demand so there is little incentive to reduce prices. I'm just waiting for the Classified and alternative cooling cards which should be priced more than the FE.

Nope. They always had this pricing as I checked on day 1 and after. As with all their products there is huge demand so there is little incentive to reduce prices. I'm just waiting for the Classified and alternative cooling cards which should be priced more than the FE.
They sure as hell weren't on finnish retailers, not even cheapest of the AIBs on launch. Maybe their own shop had them at right price, dunno.

But higher prices at launch is the typical early adopter curse... Street prices only make sense once the supply at least matches the demand, so far demand seems to be higher

Back