Nvidia Pascal Announcement

Could be guess fillers or ties into the other rumours of the 1070 and 1080 being higher in price compared to the 970 and 980 - I think this will see their sales tank though if they did this as it felt like they were near the limit on what many would pay and indeed can be seen in the number of 980s sold compared to 970s (substantially more).
Consumers really need a pretty good Polaris card to come out and be competitively priced, even if it is only around 1070 performance or close to it but with good price/perf ratio.
That could lead to the speculation that maybe they see the x60 competing with current Polaris....

Cheers

Well if the rumour from Fudzilla (yeah rumour but they were right about the Fiji HBM memory when nearly every other site disagreed and thought the release would have 8Gb due to a presen) is true it would explain two rumours pertaining to Nvidia; http://www.fudzilla.com/news/graphics/40585-amd-polaris-10-packs-390-performance
That would put some weight behind the 2 rumours.
1. The 1070 and 1080 will be priced higher than what they replace.
2. A release of a 1060 type card.

IMO the 1060 will compete (from NVIDIA business perspective) with the Polaris 10 at the 390-390x performance, NVIDIA has free reign to charge a premium for their other two GP104 cards.
Will suck for us enthusiast consumers if it does happen that Polaris 10 is a better priced and efficient replacement to 390-390x, although good news for the more mainstream consumers.
That said the 1060 with its 192-bit bus rumour is only for below 1080p and 1900x1200 type resolutions?
Cheers

NVIDIA has free reign to charge a premium for their other two GP104 cards.
Don't think that's gonna happen. They are going to play it conservatively, as they need to sell what they can before Vega arrives - at which point it inevitably becomes a pricing competition. Just half a year after release is way to soon to declare the first price cut already.

Don't think that's gonna happen. They are going to play it conservatively, as they need to sell what they can before Vega arrives - at which point it inevitably becomes a pricing competition. Just half a year after release is way to soon to declare the first price cut already.
Fingers crossed that happens, but trend shows when AMD is not competing against NVIDIA they charge a higher price for that performance, which I accept maybe this current rumour regarding the 1070 and 1080 pricing comes more from speculation based upon previous trends rather than facts.
Look at how much NVIDIA charged for the 980 and 980ti before there was a competing product from AMD.
The 980 was seriously overpriced, and the 970 squeezed probably as much as possible from potential buyers - which is why I do feel there is a risk NVIDIA if they went this path could lose sales.
However that may be why they are also releasing the 1060/ti as that would be their competitively priced product.

TBH I feel it could go either way with the 1070 regarding pricing, and the 1080 will probably be at a premium over the 980 it replaces.
Cheers

Look at how much NVIDIA charged for the 980 and 980ti before there was a competing product from AMD.
The 980 was seriously overpriced, and the 970 squeezed probably as much as possible from potential buyers - which is why I do feel there is a risk NVIDIA if they went this path could lose sales.
My recollection is that the 970 was priced aggressively and severely undercut AMD's 290X. The 980 was overpriced, indeed, but the 980 Ti was just were it belonged to squeeze margins out of Fury X.

I expect a similar scenario this time around for the 1070 and 1080.

My recollection is that the 970 was priced aggressively and severely undercut AMD's 290X. The 980 was overpriced, indeed, but the 980 Ti was just were it belonged to squeeze margins out of Fury X.

I expect a similar scenario this time around for the 1070 and 1080.
Well it was over-priced due to the way they crippled the card :)
Cheers

Well if the rumour from Fudzilla (yeah rumour but they were right about the Fiji HBM memory when nearly every other site disagreed and thought the release would have 8Gb due to a presen) is true it would explain two rumours pertaining to Nvidia; http://www.fudzilla.com/news/graphics/40585-amd-polaris-10-packs-390-performance
That would put some weight behind the 2 rumours.
1. The 1070 and 1080 will be priced higher than what they replace.
2. A release of a 1060 type card.

Why are the rumors so sure of a 1060(ti) when the earlier rumors had the GP104-400 in the GTX 1080ti, the GP104-200 in the GTX 1080 and the GP104-150 in the GTX 1070.

http://www.fudzilla.com/news/graphics/40439-nvidia-will-launch-three-cards-in-june

This will be because the three will be each replaced by a GeForce GTX 1000 Series graphics card in June. The first cards to be released will be the GTX 980Ti and 980 successors, in early June. These will be all based upon reference designs with some AiB partner surface customisations and packaging.

A couple of weeks after the GeForce GTX 1080 / Ti launch the Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 will appear. This will have the new 16nm GP104 GPUs, STRIX, WindForce, ACX 2.0+ and more custom cooler variations. The Geforce GTX 980 GTX Ti will be replaced with the GP 104-400 Pascal based chip. It will come as a reference and a custom AIB board. It should ship in early June, probably after Computex 2016.

Yet it was a best seller.
Yes because AMD really did not have anything to compete when considering noise-heat-performance-drivers; probably one reason why we are seeing the most recent rumours talk about Polaris being comparable to 390X but with excellent efficiency and TDP and how they now have a better grasp-focus with their drivers as well (probably helped with many AAA games being developed and optimised early for console-AMD hardware).
Unfortunately though this may mean they do not have the performance of the 1070.

Furthermore many buyers did not expect to see near 4GB requirement in games any time soon for 1080p.
There is no way to tell, but it would be interesting to see how many feel they have value for money when also considering longevity and looking at other cards, especially enthusiasts that purchased 970 for SLI where unfortunately it is flawed.
Cheers

Why are the rumors so sure of a 1060(ti) when the earlier rumors had the GP104-400 in the GTX 1080ti, the GP104-200 in the GTX 1080 and the GP104-150 in the GTX 1070.

http://www.fudzilla.com/news/graphics/40439-nvidia-will-launch-three-cards-in-june
Probably because as one gets closer to release information should become more accurate.
Emphasis on should :)
I agree a fair amount is speculation and requires multiple independent sources not recycling each others news, in the case of that rumour from HWBattle they were right about 3 cards but maybe speculated their tiers because of the performance the 104-400 is meant to have.
And TBH that rumour mentioning the 104-400 as a ti does not really fit any previous trends from NVIDIA as the 1080ti card should be some derivative from a 102/100 die and usually ties into a consumer Titan model.

Cheers

And TBH that rumour mentioning the 104-400 as a ti does not really fit any previous trends from NVIDIA as the 1080ti card should be some derivative from a 102/100 die and usually ties into a consumer Titan model.

Cheers

If the GP104-400 with GDDR5X exceeds the current GTX980ti by a wide margin then I can see it being used as the GTX 1080ti.

As for trends do remember that Nvidia used (for the first time) the GK104 for the GTX680 whereas in the previous generation(s) the big Fermi was used for the GTX480/580. So Nvidia has changed trends before.

As for the Titan that will be some form of GP100 (possibly the GP102) and that part won't be out until 2017 whereas if the GP104-400 can be used for the GTX 1080ti and available June/July then Nvidia will have sales for it for an additional 2 to 3 quarters with no competition from AMD.

Also I remember reading that Nvidia has stopped producing parts for the current GTX 980ti. That also seems to point out that a replacement would be coming soon.

They would stop the 980ti because the 1080 outperforms it, which is part of that speculation-rumour from HWBattle of the 104-400 replacing it; in other words Pascal EOL all of Maxwell 2 enthusiast cards (that rumour was for 970/980/980ti) apart from Titan X (which may maintain its spot I assume due to its memory *shrug*.
Yeah they could switch direction again and go back to what they did with 480/580.... but I pretty much doubt it as they align the x80ti model with Titan these days as it is the last model to compete with AMD's top single card performer.
So you could see x70 and x80 first, then Titan X type, then x80ti.
This maximises profit from what is a mid-to-high tier x80 card, bring out the flagship out at a premium price with the x80 dropping price a bit to initially compete with Vega or if they are lucky be out first, maximise gaming performance with ti AIB model.
Perfect business model and product strategy they have had in place recently for maximising profit.

TBH they are more likely to follow the trend since Kepler as that was when one could say NVIDIA started to really focus on both consumer and the Tesla (such as K40/K80 and lower range) supercomputer/HPC market with that side of the market really flourishing since then for NVIDIA.
Cheers

They would stop the 980ti because the 1080 outperforms it, which is part of that speculation-rumour from HWBattle of the 104-400 replacing it; in other words Pascal EOL all of Maxwell 2 enthusiast cards (that rumour was for 970/980/980ti) apart from Titan X (which may maintain its spot I assume due to its memory *shrug*.
Yeah they could switch direction again and go back to what they did with 480/580.... but I pretty much doubt it as they align the x80ti model with Titan these days as it is the last model to compete with AMD's top single card performer.
So you could see x70 and x80 first, then Titan X type, then x80ti.
This maximises profit from what is a mid-to-high tier x80 card, bring out the flagship out at a premium price with the x80 dropping price a bit to initially compete with Vega or if they are lucky be out first, maximise gaming performance with ti AIB model.
Perfect business model and product strategy they have had in place recently for maximising profit.

TBH they are more likely to follow the trend since Kepler as that was when one could say NVIDIA started to really focus on both consumer and the Tesla (such as K40/K80 and lower range) supercomputer/HPC market with that side of the market really flourishing since then for NVIDIA.
Cheers

I dont say that will be the case, but they can call it as they want. The TI represent their performance gpu, they can use this moniker if they think this will be a marketing point. And in reality, it have been used on lower part as the 950TI, 650TI-660TI, by the past....

They have mostly use the TI name when they was introduct new gpus in the line up for differenciate them of the previous part. In this case they could use it for 2 reasons for a 1080TI based on the GK104.. differenciate it from the 1080 due to GDDR5x over GDDR5, or based on performance ratio.

Again, i dont say that will be the case, but well, its Nvidia, i will not call it impossible. ( this could even been a good way to push the price up by a notch, this is not the first time they do it... )

This said, i have a little doubt anyway, even with some units disabled and a difference on bandwith, what could be the % performance difference ? in most case, i can imagine, bandwith not so much outside 4K ( and there again, the limitations are not forcibly only the bandwith )

Last edited:
Again, i dont say that will be the case, but well, its Nvidia, i will not call it impossible. ( this could even been a good way to push the price up by a notch, this is not the first time they do it... )

This said, i have a little doubt anyway, even with some units disabled and a difference on bandwith, what could be the % performance difference ? in most case, i can imagine, bandwith not so much outside 4K ( and there again, the limitations are not forcibly only the bandwith )
Yeah it could be possible and all we can speculate and put weight behind which decision strategy we feel NVIDIA will do.
That said they will probably increase price of the 1070 and 1080 without even using the 1080ti moniker, because it seems by the recent rumours neither of these cards will have any competition from AMD in the short-medium term, and also these cards are meant to have a reasonable performance boost.
One recent rumour suggests that is the case with the 1070 and 1080 increasing in price, which also puts weight behind a 1060 (or may be 1060ti) rumour rather than a 1080ti as they will need a product to compete with Polaris on a similar price tier and seen as a value card.

Personally I feel there is more weight behind the point I am making, but time will tell.

Cheers

Last edited:
They have mostly use the TI name when they was introduct new gpus in the line up for differenciate them of the previous part. In this case they could use it for 2 reasons for a 1080TI based on the GK104.. differenciate it from the 1080 due to GDDR5x over GDDR5, or based on performance ratio.

Just on this point.
It is worth noting though they differentiated between the 980 and 970 with subtle differences but had implications in other ways, so this time it makes more sense to differentiate using GDDR5X and GDDR5 for 1070 and 1080,
Otherwise going with the logic they would do a 1080ti using the 104-400 and GDDR5X would mean the 1080 and 1070 is back to square one and without a reasonable differentiator.
Furthermore the 104-150 is also meant to be a 192-bit bus according to more recent rumours, which is too much of a lowering of spec compared to previous 970.

So IMO this brings us back to 1080/1070/1060(or with ti) cards, each with reasonable differentiators that makes sense for their tier and focus, and strengthens recent rumour of price increase for the 1080/1070 and followed up a month later by a 1060 type model (which may be ti).
Cheers

Just to add recent rumour-leak from VideoCardz and 3dmark benchmarks just shown: http://videocardz.com/59558/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-3dmark-benchmarks

This means the 1080 will be using 10Gb/s GDDR5X rather than the upper two options, so if works perfectly without overheads would equal the 290X bandwidth.

Edit:
LOL sorry Razor was typing mine as you posted yours, just delayed checking the memory clocks to be sure it equalled the AMD 290x context.
Cheers

Results are quite similar to those we could expect if we shrinked a 980Ti and increased the clock. So, as it seems there are few architecture gains, maybe compute took they all.

well at 1600 with less ALU's to keep up with an overclocked 980ti looks like ALU per ALU, Pascal has more through put.

Back