NVIDIA Maxwell Speculation Thread

I always wondered why NVIDIA never added SFUs to their ALUs count. the only reason I can think of is that they are very limited in function.
They don't add anything to flops count so it doesn't make much sense to count them. Well actually with G80 they did contribute theoretically though just a tiny bit (they could do mul at IIRC 1/4 rate that of the ordinary "cores", much controversy about the "missing mul"). I think with Fermi/Kepler though this was no longer possible at all since it was impossible to dispatch enough instructions simultaneously to SFUs and ordinary ALU lanes (and I don't know or can't remember if they actually still could do a mul). I suspect that's still the same with Maxwell, though I may misinterpret the shiny diagrams.

I also wonder if AMD is counting SFUs in their GCN line up.
There aren't any SFUs since those functions are all integrated into ordinary ALUs. Well actually I don't know how integrated they really are but simultaneous dispatch is definitely not possible.

I also wonder if AMD is counting SFUs in their GCN line up.
Counting SFUs where: In GFLOPS or reported number of ALUs?

The answer is neither. There are 64 ALUs per GCN CU. (To be precise, there are 16 ALUs for each of the 4 SIMDs within a CU.) Each ALU is float mad capable and have the same float mad rate. It's quite easy to compute the peak GFLOPS and you can even make tests to hit that rate.

Memory needs to overclock well for that 1.35 ghz to matter. I feel like this chip (at current memory speeds) is going to be bandwidth limited much the same way gtx 680 was.

EDIT: 7.0 ghz vram I see. That will do. Haha.

Why is the marketing material mainly comparing the card to the GTX 550 Ti, which is a 40nm chip with half the transistors?
Sounds like they're avoiding the comparisons to the GTX 650 Ti...
There are new "PR benches" out at videocardz comparing the card to r7 260 and 260x as well as GTX 480. Anyway we should get proper reviews in a couples of hours :)
I'm actually quite excited those cards could do great in the htpc I'm dreaming to build (/money :( ).

Back