NVIDIA Kepler speculation thread

More from EXPreview (translated): "Sometimes coincidence: the GK104 graphics inadvertently specifications."

Google Translate of Expreview said:

According to the "insiders" said that the GK104 graphics core is indeed 1536 CUDA the Core, corresponding to the product configuration, 256-bit 2GB GDDR5 memory and core frequency 700MHz or so, the specific performance to be tested. From the number of CUDA Core and memory specifications, the news spread with the current online basically the same, only the core frequency has been more definite figures.
700 MHz? That's in contrast to earlier rumors of ~950 MHz…

maybe it is GK104-335 (1344CCs).. GTX560Ti base clock was lower too, but many models are clocked ~880-900MHz.. maybe nvidia wants to keep TDP rather low ~170W.. earlier rumors similar die size with Tahiti and 950MHz@180W tdp was unrealistic IMO..

_____

Fudzilla - Kepler GK104 cards in production

We got word that Nvidia finally talked to its partners about its highly confidential Kepler products.

They got briefed, they got the reference design and the production of the cards is staring as we speak. It looks like most of the cards available at launch are going to look alike, with different cooling from some partners, but the non-reference partner cards will come a bit later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Base clock of 560Ti was 810Mhz though, and no GF114 products are afaik shipping with less than 776Mhz. Even the second grade GF110 chips are clocked at 732Mhz (GTX570). Not quite so high clock than rumors suggested for power concerns wouldn't be that surprising, but only 700Mhz imho would be. Plus I thought that removing hotclock should potentially make it slightly easier to achieve higher clocks.

I dont speak a single word of Chinese but maybe author tries to say 700ish MHz, could be 790MHz :p

790MHz GK104-335
840MHz Oc models..
840MHz GK104-400
900MHz Oc models..

We're making a GK104 Lightning? :runaway:

uh you haven't heard yet then :p
_____

http://vr-zone.com/articles/nvidia-kepler-power-circuitry-revealed-300w-tdp-/15011.html

A1 silicon, 8+6pin 5 phase pwm etc..
nvda_kepler_hidmark_1clkyi.jpg

kepler_vr_5-phaseesjr6.png

I always love this kind of confidence:

"but it is clear that this might be another winner for NVIDIA. Or… not."
Clear ... might be... or not, from 100 to 0 in 10 words.

Anyway, we have rules for what kind of product can actually "become" a Lightning.

Anyway, we have rules for what kind of product can actually "become" a Lightning.

I guess you make Lightnings only for top GPU and top SKU (e.g. GF110 GTX580).. so GK104 is not top GPU in 600 series?? when do you expect GK110 in august? september? or you'll do it for GK104x2 ? or it is really power efficient gpu that it doesnt need that fancy coolers and pwm hence you'll enjoy with TFIII instead

It can't really be top sku only since there were lightning's for both gtx 260 and 275 neither of which was the top sku (both were the top chip though). Newer ones seem to use top sku however.

Lightnings are only for top SKUs (well, except for the 275) - otherwise it'll just be twin frozr etc.
So that kinda rules out GK104-400 as GTX680 (so it's probably either too slow for the name (ie below 7970), or GK110 isn't far enough away to be called 780)

300W TDP for some kepler board: http://vr-zone.com/articles/nvidia-kepler-power-circuitry-revealed-300w-tdp-/15011.html
(but is it for GK104 - and in that cas just some GK104 engineering board with plenty of power?)

Probably just a GK104 engineering sample. I severely doubt that GK110 taped out in Q3 11' already.

VRZone said:
Three phases are dedicated to feed the GPU (NVVDD-PH2, PH4, PH5), and dual phase is for driving the rest of the board - a couple of gigabytes of GDDR5 memory and 3rd party chips (NVVDD-PH1 and PH3).

i thought NVVDD is only for GPU and there should be FBVDD for memory and off chip, it doesnt make sense 2 phases are dedicated for memory esp for such low amount memory and speed, and we know there is no nvio chips etc to increase offchip power req..

300W TDP for some kepler board: http://vr-zone.com/articles/nvidia-kepler-power-circuitry-revealed-300w-tdp-/15011.html
(but is it for GK104 - and in that cas just some GK104 engineering board with plenty of power?)
If that's the case it may fit with the 4Gamer report last year that contained info of ~250 W GK104—more recent report(s) suggest closer to ~170 W.

Maybe NVIDIA planned ~950 MHz for the (top) GK104 but had to drop clocks because of power/yield or if they wanted to hit a lower TDP.

Or there's two cards using GK104-400, one at ~700 MHz and ~170 W to go between Pitcairn and Tahiti, and another at ~950 MHz and ≥225 W (so 8 + 6 pin) to go up against Tahiti, at least until GK110 shows up. Most likely not though.

mczak said:
I don't quite agree though with CarstenS that it wouldn't be impressive for a successor of gf104. I think more than doubling alu capacity is indeed quite impressive (if they can achieve the clocks do actually exceed the factor 2).

Indeed, Tahiti achieves ~1.5x FLOPs / mm^2 compared to Cayman (but it is also more efficient so more like 1.7x).

GK104 with 1536 CCs and 360 mm^2 die size would achieve vs GF114:

~2x FLOPs / mm^2 @ 775 MHz
~2.3x FLOPs / mm^2 @ 925 MHz
~2.5x FLOPs / mm^2 @ 1 GHz

Indeed, Tahiti achieves ~1.5x FLOPs / mm^2 compared to Cayman (but it is also more efficient so more like 1.7x).

GK104 with 1536 CCs and 360 mm^2 die size would achieve vs GF114:

~2x FLOPs / mm^2 @ 775 MHz
~2.3x FLOPs / mm^2 @ 925 MHz
~2.5x FLOPs / mm^2 @ 1 GHz

Whoooaa!
Think you might be in danger of exceeding the official speculation limit there, buddy!
:LOL:

The forum thought-police will be on you like a ton of bricks if you're not careful!
:LOL:

Back