NVIDIA GT200 Rumours & Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The confusion and lack of concrete information reminds me of the time just before the G80 came out. No one knew what the architecture was, how powerful it was. Rumours contradicting themselves. And reports of a an underperforming non unified architecture were raging accross the internet.

Then along came the G80 and blew everything out the water....

The confusion and lack of concrete information reminds me of the time just before the G80 came out. No one knew what the architecture was, how powerful it was. Rumours contradicting themselves. And reports of a an underperforming non unified architecture were raging accross the internet.

Then along came the G80 and blew everything out the water....

Can't be a coincidence can it?

What do you think?

I think that if NV was to just warm up tired old soups like G8x/9x the result would be earlier on shelves than anyone would expect. Whenever they released in the past some really underwhelming intermediate sollutions to bridge them over (9800GX2 *cough*) they've been cooking something far more impressive in the background.

Absolutely,

Becuase its not just the forums and rumours which have reflections of the pre G80 era, its also the release behaviour of NV too. I mean the NV40 archtecture was simply raped right the way through to the g71 based 7950 GX2. Which again mimics the 9800GX2.

Really at this stage we have the the scene set for ATI releasing the R700XT dual GPU board, regaining the crown for around 2 - 4 months .

Then bang.

There will be a 1.5 billion transistor 55nm monster from Nvidia with more power draw than the national grid. I think wrt crysis you could ecpect this thing to double the performance of 9800GX2. and cost $700

EDIT : Cant believe its taken 3.5 years to make 300 posts :) yay.

I've no idea with what and by how much Crysis exactly scales. So far it doesn't seem to like AFR.

Having to RMA my 9600GT due to PC shut down issue when playing a game. Asked when their next big release is going to be and the guy told me may is what they are being told internaly.

Except those are coming out this month so.......... no? G100 is just running late, and both 9800 GTX and GX2 are just place-holder products. I'm not saying G100 will be out in May, but certainly 9800 GTX and GX2 will be out before then.

I've no idea if their big thing is going to be late/delayed whatever. It just makes more sense for both IHVs to release something new around the "back to school" season.

Id think that the next gen geforce product is indeed based on a lead design. We can think of G92 as a filler product til the next gen are ready for prime time. I think ever since the 7 series, nVIDIA has been following those same strategies used.

G70 was a big step from NV40. G70 to G71 was a simple die shrink that made the 7 series much more economical while not investing as much R&D i.e cutting down cost on alot of areas. Same goes for this gen. G80 was a big big step from G70. G80 to G92, a simple die shrink with an upgraded video engine and makes it much more economical compared to the monolithic G80 + NVIO combo. The high end gets a dual GPU treatment in the form of the GX2 instead of adding more units for a single GPU solution.

Some AIBs @ CeBIT seems to hardly suggest to visit the Computex, because the will be something serious from NV shown.
And there also fair-rumors that GT200 is ready and will be launched in 3 months.

Matches the timeframe I've heard from different people, at least in terms of being ready to show the product at a show (rather than actually selling it, which probably still needs to be finalized but I doubt it'd lag much behind if at all).

I think i'll end up waiting for one of these to play Crysis. My current 8800GTS 640MB can only realistically manage about 1280x800 at High settings. I'm hoping the equivilent product from the GT200 family will be able to achieve at least the same at Very High settings. Although a resolution of 1650x1080 would be greatly preferable. Aliasing is terrible in Crysis.

A reasonably solid 30fps at Very High and 1650x1080 would be very satsifactory for me.

1920x1200 is too much too hope for but if it did happen I would be amazed and very happy!

Matches the timeframe I've heard from different people, at least in terms of being ready to show the product at a show (rather than actually selling it, which probably still needs to be finalized but I doubt it'd lag much behind if at all).

Don't you think that if it was going to be released in may more info would have leaked out by now? We still don't know the slightest thing about how this chip compares to G80.

we knew quite a bit of numbers about G80, most of what were of course wrong, not understood or simply conflicting. E.g I remember there were talks of having 128 "pipes" and clock speed of 1.5GHz. Those were relatively close to what we finally got. So problem is filtering correct information from rubbish. Most likely at least some rumours about it are correct to certain extent :)

we knew quite a bit of numbers about G80, most of what were of course wrong, not understood or simply conflicting. E.g I remember there were talks of having 128 "pipes" and clock speed of 1.5GHz. Those were relatively close to what we finally got. So problem is filtering correct information from rubbish. Most likely at least some rumours about it are correct to certain extent :)

That's my point. We can't sift the truth from the FUD until perhaps just a couple weeks before launch. That's been the trend as of late anyway.

Some AIBs @ CeBIT seems to hardly suggest to visit the Computex, because the will be something serious from NV shown.
And there also fair-rumors that GT200 is ready and will be launched in 3 months.

In 3 months? Isn`t NVIDIAs nextgen GPU expected somewhere in Q3/Q4 this year?
If it is true i don`t see any reason to launch GF900GTX/GT/GX2 cards based on G92. Moreover CJ have said there is one more G92 revision called G92B@55nm.
Unless GT200 will be Highend GPU like G80 when released and GF9xxx will be pushed to mainstream like GF79xx 1,5 year ago. :)

Well the GX2 has to be released to compete with the 3870 X2. NV doesn't want to cede any marketshare to ATi if they don't have to. Both the GTX and GX2 are smart business. Minor investment, maximum return.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back