NVIDIA GF100 & Friends speculation

Yep, they're calculated as if there's only 6 TMUs per SM instead of 8.
Making it a multiple of 6 would make sense for GF108 (so not 445M) if my speculation is correct that it's really 3x32 SP rather than 2x48, but then you'd expect 24 TMUs and not 12. None of it makes sense really...

The review at guru3d shows, that factory OCed 1GB models of GTX460 are already ower 200W...
Those numbers with at the wall measurements aren't particularly reliable, I much prefer direct measurements for that - as far as I can tell the guru3d numbers also include PSU inefficiencies.

Be careful in such comparisons. Processes change and some of the differences can just be due to the point in time that they were profiled.
So you're suggesting HD5870 draws less nowadays? The site I mentioned tested some newer cards, but they tend to have something extra (like more clock, more memory). Some 2GB variants though indeed seemed to have about the same power draw, so I guess new 1GB variants would indeed have slightly lower power draw but I don't know by how much (10-20W?).

Those numbers with at the wall measurements aren't particularly reliable, I much prefer direct measurements for that - as far as I can tell the guru3d numbers also include PSU inefficiencies.
All but TechPowerUp and XBitLabs (and in some cases, XBitLabs too) include the PSU inefficiencies and the whole rig in the power consumption numbers.

All but TechPowerUp and XBitLabs (and in some cases, XBitLabs too) include the PSU inefficiencies and the whole rig in the power consumption numbers.
And ht4u - from which came the numbers I initially quoted...
But yes most sites certainly just use at the wall numbers. If they'd adjust them for psu inefficiency, they'd not get more reliable...
In any case at guru3d the OC GTX460 delta power was 205W - clearly if you factor in PSU efficiency (a good one might have 90% efficiency) the card power draw was below 200W

Hmm GTX470M vs. GTX480M is quite interesting, and it's not quite obvious GTX480M is always faster. A good thing nvidia doesn't announce gflops ratings too loudly cause the former would actually be very slightly faster using that metric...
These two chips have very similar peak shader and rop throughput. The former has a distinct advantage in texturing throughput, the latter in memory bandwidth and pixel throughput (not so much because of its 3 (?) vs. 2 rasterizers, but because of the 11 vs 6 SMs). I guess that's enough that GTX480M is a bit faster in practice but I wonder how much - in any case I'd suspect in terms of power draw efficiency the GTX470M is in a different class (or rather, the GTX480M defines its own class outside of any other chip).
Something else I'm curious about is the very very low gddr5 memory clock on all mobile chips. It was already that low on GTX480M but that chip wasn't really the right one to draw any conclusions. Is this due to power efficiency? Maybe it's possible to use only 1.35V instead of the nominal 1.5V when operating at such a low frequency? Or would the memory controller need higher core voltage to run at higher frequencies? I'm really wondering what effects that low memory clock has wrt power draw compared to AMD - basically nvidia needs a 192bit bus (hence more chips) to achieve similar bandwidth than AMD with a 128bit bus, using the same gddr5 technology.
Also, possibly related, AMD has pushed gddr5 down to even the slowest chip (cedar). OTOH it seems nvidia is using (well on the mobile front at least) ddr3 exclusively on GF108 (which is really more of a redwood competitor).

I very much doubt they created 3 SKUs with 96 SPs, all of them cut-down from a 192 SP or even 240 SP chip. It's much more likely GF108 is a 96 SP part which is cut-down to 48 SP in GT415M. The texture numbers look... wrong though.

8 texture units at 700 MHz multiplies to 5.6 GTexel/s. It's right.

8 texture units at 700 MHz multiplies to 5.6 GTexel/s. It's right.
Umm no it's not. Where did you see 700Mhz... According to nvidia, GT415M for instance has 48 shader units, 1000Mhz shader clock. That gives us 8 texture units at 500Mhz - which should be 4GT/s, not 3GT/s as stated. Same for all other new mobile chips. I guess whoever updated the website calculated with same ratio as GTX480M/GF100...

5.6 at 700MHz = 8 TMUs

gt4204mwj.png

http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/product-geforce-gt-420-oem-uk.html [specifications]

Umm no it's not. Where did you see 700Mhz... According to nvidia, GT415M for instance has 48 shader units, 1000Mhz shader clock. That gives us 8 texture units at 500Mhz - which should be 4GT/s, not 3GT/s as stated. Same for all other new mobile chips. I guess whoever updated the website calculated with same ratio as GTX480M/GF100...

Oh for the 415M yeah that's wrong. But as Novum stated 6 TA/TF isn't possible. It's 8 TA/TF and for the GT420 which Neliz linked above it's measured correctly.

Oh for the 415M yeah that's wrong. But as Novum stated 6 TA/TF isn't possible. It's 8 TA/TF and for the GT420 which Neliz linked above it's measured correctly.
Ah right, it's correct for the desktop GT420. But it's wrong for all (new) mobile parts.
(btw nice memory on the GT420 - 2GB standard. I'm sure that's gonna help performance. Granted 2gbit ddr3 memory chips are dirt cheap still I'd have thought it would have saved a couple bucks for opting for 8 1gbit chips instead.)

Last edited by a moderator:
So you're suggesting HD5870 draws less nowadays? The site I mentioned tested some newer cards, but they tend to have something extra (like more clock, more memory). Some 2GB variants though indeed seemed to have about the same power draw, so I guess new 1GB variants would indeed have slightly lower power draw but I don't know by how much (10-20W?).

I guess he means that as the process matures and yields improve, clocks and/or power can improve over time. In this case due to the troubles of TSMC's 40nm process maybe even more so. Dont forget Cypress and Juniper are almost a year old now.

For example, Intel's processors improve in thermal characteristics and overclockability with stepping changes as the process matures. A famous example was the Q6600 G0 stepping or i7920 D0 stepping

Ah right, it's correct for the desktop GT420. But it's wrong for all (new) mobile parts.
(btw nice memory on the GT420 - 2GB standard. I'm sure that's gonna help performance. Granted 2gbit ddr3 memory chips are dirt cheap still I'd have thought it would have saved a couple bucks for opting for 8 1gbit chips instead.)

2GB?? Even 1 GB is overkill for this class of cards :rolleyes: Wouldnt they have 4 chips? GF108 is rumoured to have a 128 bit memory interface which implies 4 memory chips. So 4 2Gbit chips would give 1GB

As to the power consumption, here are Anand's numbers for the GTX 460 http://www.anandtech.com/show/3810/nvidias-geforce-gtx-460-part-2-the-vendor-cards/8

Power consumption of reference 1 GB card increases by 9W at 825 Mhz and the 768MB card by 10W at 840 Mhz. He does not mention Shader clocks, and memory clocks stay at default. Interestingly the EVGA 768 MB Superclocked with clocks of 783/1526/3800 only consumes 4W more than the reference card

28.8GB/s is a nice bandwith amount, this is the cheap and usable card I expected and wanted. I would enjoy a passive variant or one with a cheap dual slot cooler.

Everest confirms that GTS 455 is a cut down GF104 plus confirms suspicions of the chips behind the other incoming parts.

http://en.expreview.com/2010/08/31/...n-updated-to-support-geforce-gts450/9334.html

* GPU information for nVIDIA GeForce GTS 455 (GF104)
* GPU information for nVIDIA GeForce GTX 470M (GF104M)
* Preliminary GPU information for nVIDIA GeForce GT 415M (GF108M)
* Preliminary GPU information for nVIDIA GeForce GT 420 (GF108)
* Preliminary GPU information for nVIDIA GeForce GT 420M (GF108M)
* Preliminary GPU information for nVIDIA GeForce GT 425M (GF108M)
* Preliminary GPU information for nVIDIA GeForce GT 430 (GF108)
* Preliminary GPU information for nVIDIA GeForce GT 435M (GF106M)
* Preliminary GPU information for nVIDIA GeForce GT 435M (GF108M)
* Preliminary GPU information for nVIDIA GeForce GT 440 (GF106)
* Preliminary GPU information for nVIDIA GeForce GT 445M (GF106M)
* Preliminary GPU information for nVIDIA GeForce GTS 450 (GF106)
* Preliminary GPU information for nVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M (GF106M)

Amazon listings for GTS 450
Palit $136
Palit OC $141
Evga $139
Evga SC $155

2GB?? Even 1 GB is overkill for this class of cards :rolleyes: Wouldnt they have 4 chips? GF108 is rumoured to have a 128 bit memory interface which implies 4 memory chips. So 4 2Gbit chips would give 1GB
When I said it's going to help performance I didn't mean it for real :).
But ddr3 memory (unlike gddr3/gddr5) is only available in 4, 8 and 16bit versions. Hence you always need 8 chips for 128bit.
It would be completely impossible for any GF108 based card (using the full 128bit interface and ddr3) to have less than 1GB, since ddr3 chips smaller than 1gbit do not even exist :).

Gts 450 ..

The news are true , it competes with HD 5750 and replaces GTS 250 (AKA 9800GTX+!!) , it is slightly faster than HD 5750 (8~10%) .

It's half GF104 .
It has 32 Texture Units and 1 GPC .
It consumes 31w more power than HD 5750 at load and 6w at idle.
Temps are 57c at 70% fan , and 72c at default fan (FurMark Burn) ..
Even with 1 GPC , it still beats HD 5750 at heaven by 29% @ 1900x1200.
Oc'ed to 1.0GHz core easily , which pumps up Vantages GPU score by 2000 Points .

84192759.jpg

73582077.jpg

82581890.jpg

unigineheaven.png

powerangel.png

dirt2.png

Oh, it's for 'LAN Party Pwning'.

Let's admit it Nvidia, your marketing dept is a bunch of middle aged guys isn't it?

Do LAN Parties even still exist now that broadband connections are so widespread?

I think the worst part of this marketing scheme is the big ugly characters with giant guns…

Back