NVIDIA GF100 & Friends speculation

It's ok... 275W < 294W (HD5970) < 300W (PCI-E 2).

What's the problem? 25W isn't 'well below'?

:?:

Maybe it's nearly 300 Watt:

Elimize ulaşan bilgilere göre GeForce GTX 480'in ısıl güç tasarımı 298 Watt olacak. ATi Radeon HD 5870'in 188 Watt'lık güç tüketim değerine göre 110 Watt, en hızlı ekran kartı olarak lanse edilen çift grafik işlemcili ATi Radeon HD 5970 modeline göreyse 4 Watt daha fazla güç çeken GeForce GTX 480'ın hız aşırtmalı modellerinde ise bu değer 310 Watt civarında olacak.

limize ulaşan resmi dökümanlara göre GeForce GTX 470'ın ısıl güç tasarımı 225 Watt olacağı elimize ulaşan bilgiler arasında yer alıylr.
http://forum.donanimhaber.com/m_38397749/tm.htm

I'm trying really hard not to laugh, but it's difficult. He "sort of leaked the prices"? The ones we STILL don't know? "Dual GTX470 will be the competition for the HD5970"? Even though such a product would have in excess of a 400-500w power draw if any of the voltage calculations are correct?

I'm sorry, but your friend Zed_X's info doesn't quite seem as reliable as you think it is.

How do you figure that. GTX275 is 210+w of power draw but yet the GTX295 is under the 300W window.

If comments on this forum are any indication the standard for success is popular opinion. Actual sales and financials be damned :)
P4 was a epic failure as chip but sales say otherwise. :p Same goes with the FX5200 :LOL:

seriously, i mostly read Zed_X's xtremesystems posts for their comedic content. To say he has been pretty reliable you need to point out something he has claimed ahead of time that was then subsequently confirmed... all I see is unending nvidia boosterism. Of course perhaps that satisfies your own personal standards of reliability.

Originally Posted by Zed_X
GTX 480 has 512SP, i thought it is a taken as a facts?

Originally Posted by Zed_X
GeForce 380 has huge power consumption, but performance is only few percent under HD 5970 and far away from HD 5870 perf. Trust me, will see next week on many servers, when NDA for info lifts!
[posted weeks ago]
Nail_meet_Head

I have been reading the guy's post on XS too, he's hilarious.

no?

On what basis is it "competing"? because it's a single GPU solution or because the rumored price is more towards a 5870 than towards a 5970?

I suspect price, performance, number of GPUs. I don't think you can blow off a near 300 watt power draw by pointing to a dual-GPU card that outperforms and costs more anyway.

Have you seen anything to indicate that GTX480 is being positioned against the 5970 rather than the 5870? Do you know what AMD card Nvidia "suggests" be pitched against GTX470/480 in their reviewer guidelines?

On march 26th, I hope nvidia doesn't try to pull the old review BS where they determine which games can be reviewed. I'd like to see full blown review suites by different sites.

How do you figure that. GTX275 is 210+w of power draw but yet the GTX295 is under the 300W window.
The GTX295 is one of the cards known to exceed its nominal TDP, hence it doesn't really fit into that 300W window actually. You're right though it's certainly not twice that of GTX275. But a GTX295 is certainly not two GTX275 on one board, they are clocked lower (all core/shader/mem), with likely lower voltages. A "dual GTX470" seems to imply clocks would be the same, which seems unrealistic if a single one is really 200W+ Might be doable with lower clocks, but that might not be enough any more to really challenge a HD5970 (which of course has lower clocks than HD5870 too).

Is there a disease called Fermi fatigue? I suspect im going down with a bad dose. Symptoms include malaise towards Nvidia, ambivilance towards tessellation and 3D rendering in general and a lack of motivation to tweak settings to get a desired framerate.

Can anyone tell me again why they don't simply send the review cards out 2-3 weeks before the actual shipping date? It works like that with game reviews, you can get early reviews of those before the shipment date. It works for early reviews of movies, so why not cards? It would help save us from this logistical dance where they don't want to send the cards out until the last minute for fear of leaks.

It was deleted by me, their is such a thing as Fermi malaise, and I'm taking my own advice on a cure and just avoiding this thread for a while. :yep2:

Gonna go game for a while and remember why viddy cards make me all happiful, I'm tired of arguing over things that won't be known for 2 more weeks....y'know?

They always knew GF100 would be this late? Did they use this power to short NV's stock to get back in the black quicker, too?

I was under the impression that hemlock would be their high end and compete with nvidia's high end the gtx 480.

I'm sure that ati loves these 6? months they've had on their own and what may amount to another 2-3 months of having the only widely avalible dx 11 part on the market.

But the thing is. If ati was under the impression the gf 100 would be out around or slightly after the cypress's release then they must have figured nvidia would have a refresh 6-8 months later. Basicly now. So I'd assume ati has a refresh part ready now also.

I'd be interested to see if they release it or if they hold off.

I'd think if nvidia prices a card closer to the $500 mark they might just say screw it and release the refresh at that price. Esp if its faster than the gtx 480.

I'm really interested in the new 2gig 5870s. I wonder if there will be clock increases or not andhow they perform just with the extra gig of ram. I can't afford one of course. But i'd love to see a 2 gig 5850. People told me the extra 512 megs on my 4850 was a waste on that card. But its served me well and I'm getting better frame rates with it than my friends with 4850s 512 megs and 4870 512 meg cards that they bought.

If they have one and release it too early and those that just bought a card won't be happy. :oops:
Those that waited will be smiling though. :p

This pic was linked already earlier, but someone pointed out on another forum something from it that I didn't notice before, which after I looked through the naked pcb shots, and they have it too (or at least I think it's the same, it's in different position on that revision but it's still 2pin like it should) - the SPDIF in for audio, so still no native audio from nV highend

Fermi-GTX-480-Is-a-Bit-Camera-Shy-2.jpg

On march 26th, I hope nvidia doesn't try to pull the old review BS where they determine which games can be reviewed.

I dont think that's feasible on a "normal" launch. The only time that happened was on that super early preview Nvidia did once...I forget the circumstances now.

Can anyone tell me again why they don't simply send the review cards out 2-3 weeks before the actual shipping date? It works like that with game reviews, you can get early reviews of those before the shipment date. It works for early reviews of movies, so why not cards? It would help save us from this logistical dance where they don't want to send the cards out until the last minute for fear of leaks.

Cue massive media whining about paper launches.

Back