NVIDIA GF100 & Friends speculation

I don't remember seeing a 4890 at 1.1+GHz on air, but maybe that's just because I didn't notice them.

We don't know yet whether we'll see 5870's doing 1.1GHz on air being sold as a separate SKU, let alone a AIB OC'ed part.

But yeah, they'll be great, especially with newer drivers.

OpenGL4.0 arriving that early is definitely a positive point overall. However given the lack of interest for ISVs in their vast majority for OGL, even if we should see any changing trends in the long-run it'll take a mighty long time.

The best hope for OGL is for Mac to become a more popular gaming platform. Apple's hw policies, however, suggest that Apple's pretty cool about gaming on Mac.

Zed_X has been pretty reliable so far, on XS forums. He sort of leaked the prices and said GTX480 will compete with HD5870. Dual GTX470 will be the competition for HD5970. I know this alone does not imply performance. Only prices. But if GTX480 could compete with HD5970 it would have a higher price, dont you think?

I am quoting from memory here, so don't shoot me if it's wrong.

Wasn't Zed_X the dude who claimed @XS that Apple had bought Y million tegra 2 for iPad?

Wasn't Zed_X the dude who claimed @XS that Apple had bought Y million tegra 2 for iPad?

Don't think so. But he's been the most accurate so far with respect to GF100 rumours.

What exactly would suggest a product's or product line's failure or success if NOT sales?

If comments on this forum are any indication the standard for success is popular opinion. Actual sales and financials be damned :)

I am quoting from memory here, so don't shoot me if it's wrong.

No. That was the guy who claimed to be an-ex nVIDIA worker. This Zed_X never said very specific stuff like benchmark numbers or things like that. Hes been spot on schedulle though, and he was the first one talking about the Deep Dive Event, even before it happened IIRC.

See my post here: http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1406357&postcount=3422

Zed_X has been pretty reliable so far, on XS forums. He sort of leaked the prices and said GTX480 will compete with HD5870. Dual GTX470 will be the competition for HD5970. I know this alone does not imply performance. Only prices. But if GTX480 could compete with HD5970 it would have a higher price, dont you think?
seriously, i mostly read Zed_X's xtremesystems posts for their comedic content. To say he has been pretty reliable you need to point out something he has claimed ahead of time that was then subsequently confirmed... all I see is unending nvidia boosterism. Of course perhaps that satisfies your own personal standards of reliability.

Originally Posted by Zed_X
GTX 480 has 512SP, i thought it is a taken as a facts?

Originally Posted by Zed_X
GeForce 380 has huge power consumption, but performance is only few percent under HD 5970 and far away from HD 5870 perf. Trust me, will see next week on many servers, when NDA for info lifts!
[posted weeks ago]

No. That was the guy who claimed to be an-ex nVIDIA worker. This Zed_X never said very specific stuff like benchmark numbers or things like that. Hes been spot on schedulle though, and he was the first one talking about the Deep Dive Event, even before it happened IIRC.
no, many people were talking about the deep dive event. He was claiming that there would be amazing benchmarks and information revealed at it, which, well, didn't actually occur. Seriously, please link to any post he has ever made that has actually had confirmed information, or just stop spreading pure rumour _as_if_it_were_fact_. thanks.

edit: posted by zed_X January 9th:
NDA will lifts few days after 14th, today is main GeForce 300 Deep Dive meeting.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pretty sure most of the 4890's extra clock came as a result of a voltage bump.
Doesn't seem to be true, reference voltage is just very slightly higher if at all:
http://ht4u.net/reviews/2010/powercolor_pcs_plus_hd5870/index4.php
Also, I'm not sure Cypress really clocks higher. At reference voltage both HD4890 and HD5870 often fail to exceed 900Mhz significantly - now of course Cypress has a lower reference voltage but it's a different process so not really directly comparable.
I think noone really tried that much upping the voltage on HD4890 to get higher clocks (I don't know what the safe limits are for that neither for HD4890/HD5870), though some overclockers did and also reached clocks in excess of 1Ghz (often the cards didn't have appropriate cooling for the vrm limiting those experiments).

no, many people were talking about the deep dive event. He was claiming that there would be amazing benchmarks and information revealed at it, which, well, didn't actually occur. Seriously, please link to any post he has ever made that has actually had confirmed information, or just stop spreading pure rumour _as_if_it_were_fact_. thanks.

There's someone else in here that does the exact same thing and doesn't get so much flak...

Anyway, next week should be a good one for info on the GTX 480. I actually find it incredible that at this point, not even a guy that works for one of the companies that got the cards, has leaked some sort of benchmark.

See my post here: http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1406357&postcount=3422

I'm trying really hard not to laugh, but it's difficult. He "sort of leaked the prices"? The ones we STILL don't know? "Dual GTX470 will be the competition for the HD5970"? Even though such a product would have in excess of a 400-500w power draw if any of the voltage calculations are correct?

I'm sorry, but your friend Zed_X's info doesn't quite seem as reliable as you think it is.

Anyway, next week should be a good one for info on the GTX 480. I actually find it incredible that at this point, not even a guy that works for one of the companies that got the cards, has leaked some sort of benchmark.

You have any idea what the consequences would be for breaking an NDA, not only for "the guy" but also for the AIB he's working for?

Even leaking something like that pathetic allocation numbers for the 470 and 480 for the weeks after launch will get you jobless, let alone leak anything specific of the card.

Doesn't seem to be true, reference voltage is just very slightly higher if at all:
http://ht4u.net/reviews/2010/powercolor_pcs_plus_hd5870/index4.php
Also, I'm not sure Cypress really clocks higher. At reference voltage both HD4890 and HD5870 often fail to exceed 900Mhz significantly - now of course Cypress has a lower reference voltage but it's a different process so not really directly comparable.
I think noone really tried that much upping the voltage on HD4890 to get higher clocks (I don't know what the safe limits are for that neither for HD4890/HD5870), though some overclockers did and also reached clocks in excess of 1Ghz (often the cards didn't have appropriate cooling for the vrm limiting those experiments).

http://www.beyond3d.com/content/news/729

"The reengineering is focussed on letting the chip take a higher voltage than RV770, which combined with improvements in the chips power planes and cross-chip clocking, lets it operate at higher frequencies."

Obviously it's a bit more than just a voltage bump, but with 100mhz or more at stock over a very poor overclocker in the 4870, a higher voltage must have played a pretty large part.

You have any idea what the consequences would be for breaking an NDA, not only for "the guy" but also for the AIB he's working for?

Even leaking something like that pathetic allocation numbers for the 470 and 480 for the weeks after launch will get you jobless, let alone leak anything specific of the card.

Wait, I think I didn't make myself clear before (when I mentioned companies). By companies I mean stores that are getting cards from NVIDIA's AIBs to sell from March 26th onward. A guy working for that store, while accumulating stock, could've done some quick benchmarks. That happened before, so that was the reasoning behind my previous post, even if I didn't use the proper "terms" :)

man, that's such BS. In order for him to be "the most accurate" he NEEDS to have been accurate at least once (and that is if everyone else has never been accurate at all). Please link to a non-comedic post of his.

I have my reasons. For one OBR got all nervous and asked people including myself to take down those driver pics of 470 memory speeds at 1000 (apparently he got in trouble for that). This was just after zed claimed all the performance leaks were at sample clocks and retail would be higher. Weak? Maybe, but still more solid than the other stuff we've been getting. Now, what I don't get is why are you so hung up on this guy? Whether he turns out to be right or wrong in the end it doesn't matter and it's not like he's making ad revenue for his efforts.

Back