Nvidia GeForce RTX 4080 Reviews

I haven't caught up on all of the reviews, but I've watched the Digital Foundry one. Good content, but Rich keeps saying (roughly) things like "value should increase the further you go down the gpu stack." Should it? If I were a company and I wanted to upsell, I'd have value increase in the opposite direction. I think the crypto market basically broke gpu pricing. It's the first time we really saw what people were willing to pay. Gamers were buying second hand gpus at scalper prices, because they wanted an upgrade and it's all they could find. Competitor pricing might put pressure on nvidia to reduce the price of the 4080, but that assumes the competitor products remain in stock and highly available, and people are willing to switch brands. Very curious to see how this plays out, but I wouldn't be shocked if Nvidia can sell every single 4080 they can produce. It does have a very large performance upgrade for people using 20 series, or even 3090s. I can't pay that much for a gpu, but there are clearly a lot of people that will, and a lot of Nvidia customers that upgrade every one to two gpu generations.

Highlights the absurdity of Nvidia now requiring consumers to pay extra for the equivalent performance increase.
I think this is a good time for competition to perhaps drag pricing down. The 4080 12gig whatever it will be named is going to have a lot of issues at its price point

With only two companies there isnt really much competition. Lovelace is just so good that nVidia can dictate prices and AMD will follow and undercut nVidia. We need more competition.

With only two companies there isnt really much competition. Lovelace is just so good that nVidia can dictate prices and AMD will follow and undercut nVidia. We need more competition.

I dunno the 7900xt/x might actually deliver the competition we need. Going to have to wait for benchmarks of it at this point. is that dec ? also maybe intel will come out of no where with a second generation that catches up

I dunno the 7900xt/x might actually deliver the competition we need. Going to have to wait for benchmarks of it at this point. is that dec ? also maybe intel will come out of no where with a second generation that catches up
Yes, because it is $200 cheaper. But that is the only objective reason to buy this card. At the same price the 4080 is just better. Last time nVidia set the bar with the 3080 and forced AMD down, too. Now it would be AMD turn but they are selling their $649 replacement for $999...

That is what I am hoping happens. I really hope no one buys this GPU in any real numbers. This card IMO does not deserve marketshare.

I'm 50/50 on whether this will happen. There are just a lot of pc gamers that spend obscene amounts of money on their pcs. How many people bought 3090s for gaming over the 3080, just to get that extra 15% or whatever it was? How many people paid way above msrp? The only thing that matters is whether there are enough people willing to pay for the amount that they can manufacture. If they sell out, arguably the price will be too low.

I haven't caught up on all of the reviews, but I've watched the Digital Foundry one. Good content, but Rich keeps saying (roughly) things like "value should increase the further you go down the gpu stack." Should it? If I were a company and I wanted to upsell, I'd have value increase in the opposite direction. I think the crypto market basically broke gpu pricing. It's the first time we really saw what people were willing to pay. Gamers were buying second hand gpus at scalper prices, because they wanted an upgrade and it's all they could find. Competitor pricing might put pressure on nvidia to reduce the price of the 4080, but that assumes the competitor products remain in stock and highly available, and people are willing to switch brands. Very curious to see how this plays out, but I wouldn't be shocked if Nvidia can sell every single 4080 they can produce. It does have a very large performance upgrade for people using 20 series, or even 3090s. I can't pay that much for a gpu, but there are clearly a lot of people that will, and a lot of Nvidia customers that upgrade every one to two gpu generations.

Typically with a halo product you pay more for lower gains. That is how it was in the past. however considering the 40x0 series are two different chips you see much better gains. Typically you would see something more akin to the 4080 16 and 4080 12 gig . The 4080 16 gig would have been the halo card in previous gens offering modest gains over the 4080 12 gig. But now the 4080 12 gig is basicly half the 4090.

Look at this chart from the DF review 1668528402968.png

THe 4080 12 gig performance is barely above a $700 2 -3 year old card at this point. It costs $200 more . The 4080 16 gig shows off much better here as its actually faster than the 3090ti.

When I look at this stuff I don't see great performance value here. The 4080 might be faster than the previous 3090 and 3080 but when looking at cost is that extra 16 fps worth spending $1200 on ? When you compare the 4080 to the 4090 wouldn't you be better off spending the extra $300 to almost double the frame rates ?

Look at the 3080 vs the 3070 there was what a $200 launch price difference but look at how close those cards are. It shows that lower in the stack your getting better value for your dollar. $500 launch msrp got you 29.3fps vs $700 getting you 38fps

Then I look at DF's video and in Cyber punk at 2160p ultra ray tracing the 3080 gets 15fps , 3080 ti gets 21 fps and the 4080 is only getting 29fps and 4090 41 fps. I would barely consider this playable on anything out of the 4090. Is this the nvidia cards hitting memory issues ?

Dying light 2 seems to be the same. In the DF tests my 3080 is between 60-70% of the performance of that 4080 but the 4090 is 140-160% of the 4080 for $300 more .

I think this may be really good for competition. Looking at the plague tale numbers from Nvidia that 4080 12 gig is going to be a really poor value at $900 vs the two amd cards.

Yes, because it is $200 cheaper. But that is the only objective reason to buy this card. At the same price the 4080 is just better. Last time nVidia set the bar with the 3080 and forced AMD down, too. Now it would be AMD turn but they are selling their $649 replacement for $999...
and nvidia selling its $700 replacement card for $1200. The 4080 12 gig looks like its going to have a really tough time against amd's offerings.

Look at this chart from the DF review
1668528402968.png
There is something wrong with this chart, DF tested the game and proved it wrong. The 408p scores much higher than this chart. So ignore any 4080 16GB/12GB from it.

Look at this chart from the DF review View attachment 7531

THe 4080 12 gig performance is barely above a $700 2 -3 year old card at this point. It costs $200 more . The 4080 16 gig shows off much better here as its actually faster than the 3090ti.

That's the chart provided by Nvidia during the product launch that the DF video explains is incorrect.

So the card is dying in 4K basically, scaling against 3090(s) goes to shit once you go from 1440p to 4K.
This also affects RT albeit to a lesser degree.
They should've went with a 320 bit bus on AD103 really.

That is what I am hoping happens. I really hope no one buys this GPU in any real numbers. This card IMO does not deserve marketshare.
Depends on how you're looking at it really. It is a faster card than anything starting at 3080Ti and up while being at the same or lower price after all.
7900XT/X will likely beat it by an insignificant amount in games without RT and will likely loose by a significant amount in games with it. I don't know if many people would be willing to take that offer even at a lower price.
What is more likely to happen though is most sales going into 4090 and whatever will be the best bang for buck below $1000 - I doubt that it will be "4070Ti", likely something lower than that.

and nvidia selling its $700 replacement card for $1200. The 4080 12 gig looks like its going to have a really tough time against amd's offerings.
Dont know. 4080 12Gb was $899 and maybe 10% slower than a 7900XT with 8GB less ram. With Raytracing it would be 20%+ faster. At least the 4070TI should be cheaper than $899. Makes the 7900XT a tough sell...

CES23 is in less than two months.

Dont know. 4080 12Gb was $899 and maybe 10% slower than a 7900XT with 8GB less ram. With Raytracing it would be 20%+ faster. At least the 4070TI should be cheaper than $899. Makes the 7900XT a tough sell...

CES23 is in less than two months.
10% slower? It's probably slower than that, as it's likely slower than RTX3090 non Ti. The RX7900 is probably quite a bit faster than the 3090, since the RX6900 was generally as fast as the 3090, outside ray tracing.

10% slower? It's probably slower than that, as it's likely slower than RTX3090 non Ti. The RX7900 is probably quite a bit faster than the 3090, since the RX6900 was generally as fast as the 3090, outside ray tracing.
That just depends on the games. In three of the four rasterizer games the 7900XT was ~26% faster than the 6950XT. The 3090TI is ~15% faster in average. Dont see a huge difference between a "4080 12GB" and 7900XT.

There is something wrong with this chart, DF tested the game and proved it wrong. The 408p scores much higher than this chart. So ignore any 4080 16GB/12GB from it.
Yes Nvidia made a mistake in their testing and then put it out the the world lol
There are parts in the game, where fps are considerably lower on 4090 than in the scene DF is using.
Shhh don't tell anyone the secret
That's the chart provided by Nvidia during the product launch that the DF video explains is incorrect.
Its offical information from Nvidia. Likely they tested a different spot than DF.

That just depends on the games. In three of the four rasterizer games the 7900XT was ~26% faster than the 6950XT. The 3090TI is ~15% faster in average. Dont see a huge difference between a "4080 12GB" and 7900XT.
I said 3090 non TI.. we are talking about the 7900XT, not the XTX

Back