NVIDIA discussion [2024]

At the moment it's plausible. Intel is actually ahead on packaging (at least tech wise if not customer service wise entirely) vs TSMC. I'd imagine AMD would consider them if it didn't mean saving their rival for servers/laptops/etc.

But I'm unsure of how well inter fab silicon/packaging is going to work right now. I've seen it said by many it's a major goal of some, but one with a lot of hurdles to overcome. If any company has the cash to light on fire trying to overcome such a thing though it'd be Nvidia.
Intel does it on their own products which use combination of Intel and TSMC tiles. And even Lunar Lake on which both tiles are TSMC

I think the demand for nVidia is so high right now that they'll use any and all available fabs to produce chips. Pretty sure for at least the next year or so they'll be able to sell as many as they can make.

Who do you think packages Intel chips with TSMC tiles?
You're right but it's still Intel silicon. I don't know of IFS packaging any non Intel silicon but presumably they could and should if they truly are independent.

But still, it doesn't exactly make sense for Nvidia.

Former Google CEO Eric Schmidt said in a recent talk at Stanford that tech giants are planning for increasingly large investments into Nvidia-based AI data centers.

“I’m talking to the big companies, and the big companies are telling me they need $20 billion, $50 billion, $100 billion” in AI infrastructure, Schmidt said.

Schmidt said it will be difficult for competitors to catch up with Nvidia because many of the most important open source tools that AI developers use are based on the company’s CUDA programming language. He said AMD’s software that translates Nvidia’s CUDA code for its own chips “doesn’t work yet.”

It's possible, but I think most market analysts probably don't think the recent downturn has much to do with these rumors, as it's market-wide, not just AI related or even semiconductor only. It's probably more likely because the surprise raise of interest rate by BOJ and thus causing the unraveling of a lot of yen carry trades. Now yen has settled down a bit so people are now rebuilding their carry trade portfolio (after all, even at 0.25% it's still much lower other places), with probably less leverage than before (for smart people anyway, stupid people will always do risky trades).

They could have stopped far sooner than this if that was the case. They have something else in the pipeline.
They kinda did. The Gsync h/w hasn't been updated in years, it's still using HDMI 2.0 inputs. Moving from that to just licensing the IP is a logical step when the h/w itself isn't interesting to produce anymore. It's the same with their mobile SoCs - they don't have anything in the pipeline, they just license that out to a manufacturer who is willing to make use of the tech in their h/w.

They are incorporating Gsync IP into Mediatek scaler chips. Likely the result of the very close collaboration between Mediatek and Nvidia announced last year?

1724200502734.png

Last edited:
maybe it´s what the colab was all about ....
Yeah, though the Mediatek scaler chip can be used in a variety of devices (auto, mobile, pc, display, tablet, industrial, console). Licensing the IP like this allows a footprint into more otherwise restricted devices. Don't know what the future of console will be though it should provide the option to integrate different graphical capabilities via the MediaTek scaler chip.

From the link above:
The features to expect from MediaTek's G-Sync scalers include:
  • Variable Refresh Rate
  • Variable Overdrive
  • 12b Color Accuracy
  • Ultra-Low Motion Blur
  • Low Latency HDR
  • Reflex Analyzer
  • Pulsar
  • & more to come

Last edited:
The NVIDIA/MediaTek collaboration has resulted in two things so far:
-An automotive chip with RTX graphics (Ada based) as it supports ray tracing + DLSS frame generation.
-A display scaler with integrated G-Sync capabilities.

Rumors point to a third thing, a laptop SoC with ARM + RTX graphics.

Back