NVIDIA discussion [2024]

I wonder if they will ever change that revenue classification away from "gaming."

Nvidia themselves even acknowledges a market for consumer GPUs purchases in which the primary purpose is not gaming as they certainly market heavily to "creation" workloads (including a targeted driver distribution).

I wonder if they will ever change that revenue classification away from "gaming."

Nvidia themselves even acknowledges a market for consumer GPUs purchases in which the primary purpose is not gaming as they certainly market heavily to "creation" workloads (including a targeted driver distribution).

How would they know how people are using every gaming card that’s purchased?

How would they know how people are using every gaming card that’s purchased?

Without going there first, it seems like the first step would be classification itself? It seems like it would be more to aptly name it "Consumer" much like "Data Center."

To be fair here I realize Nvidia themselves actually classify the segmetn as "Gaming and AI PC." I suppose part of this is a reporting issue as well. I just feel classifying and reporting it as gaming is somewhat misleading by omission as it implies it's gaming driven growth which I suspect has much more factors involved here.

This isn't what I feel they should do or not, I actually realize why companies do this and why they like to obfuscated this data. It's just personally I feel how it's presented and obfuscated creates a public data issue.

For financial reporting? Absolutely not.
Ah, missed that part of it.

I was just thinking they would have a really good sampling rate and could break down the numbers to see if there is enough potential to focus a brand/product on the consumer "creation" side.

There is the pro visualization segment for Quadro SKUs, which should account for the majority of creator workloads?

I guess what NVIDIA is doing is far better than AMD who lumps consoles SoCs + PC dGPUs together, or Intel who doesn't report on dGPUs at all.

There is the pro visualization segment for Quadro SKUs, which should account for the majority of creator workloads?

I guess what NVIDIA is doing is far better than AMD who lumps consoles SoCs + PC dGPUs together, or Intel who doesn't report on dGPUs at all.

Pro Viz accounts for that specific product segment. What I mean is how "Gaming and AI PC" (I realized they added AI PC, not sure when) is really more accurately "Consumer GPUs" as consumer GPUs have increasingly been used and purchased for (this isn't even accounting for the crypto mining situation) use cases other then gaming. Although there is a bit of an issue here if thye are lumping console (Switch) SoCs into this as well.

This isn't really specific to Nvidia, it's just dicussion point of interest here as I don't feel growth in that segment can be interpeted as "gaming" growth strictly. This is more of a personal peeve/gripe then anything I expect companies to do (which is act in their interest).

What do we think? Perhaps it is time to rename Jensen to Neo because he sure knows how to dodge bullets. The rumored three-month delay in shipping Blackwell to its major customers—hyperscalers like Amazon, Meta, and Microsoft—proved to be a false alarm. A three-month delay is minor in the grand scheme of things, but given the expectations of Nvidia to produce, investors and analysts would’ve been running around like their hair was on fire had the delays come true.
“Blackwell samples are shipping to our partners and customers. Spectrum-X Ethernet for AI and Nvidia AI Enterprise software are two new product categories achieving significant scale, demonstrating that Nvidia is a full-stack and data center-scale platform,” said Jensen Huang, founder and CEO of Nvidia, in a statement.
Kress went on to say demand for Nvidia products is coming from model makers, consumer Internet services and “tens of thousands of companies and start-ups building generative AI applications for consumers, advertising, education, enterprise, health care, and robotics developers.”

Nvidia may be known for its graphics, but its networking products are taking off at a rapid clip. Networking revenue increased 16% sequentially, and, in particular, Nvidia’s Ethernet for AI revenue, which includes Spectrum-X and an Ethernet platform, doubled sequentially, with hundreds of customers adopting Nvidia’s Ethernet offerings, Kress added.

Nvidia plans to launch new Spectrum-X products every year to support demand for scaling compute clusters, and Kress said Spectrum-X is well on track to becoming a multibillion-dollar product line within a year.

Second-quarter gaming revenue was $2.9 billion, up 9% from the previous quarter and up 16% from a year ago. No new cards were shipped, but there was a lot of software activity. First up was the announcement of Nemotron-4 4B, a small language model for on-device inference for Nvidia ACE, a suite of generative AI gaming technologies.

In the quarter, the company said it surpassed 600 RTX games and apps to over 600 and over 2,000 games on GeForce NOW.

The second-quarter revenue for professional visualization was $454 million, which is up 6% from the previous quarter and up 20% from a year ago. In the quarter, the company introduced generative AI models and NIM microservices for OpenUSD to accelerate workflows and develop industrial digital twins and robotics.

In the automotive and robotics segment, the second-quarter revenue was $346 million, up 5% from the previous quarter and 37% from a year ago. During the quarter, world leaders in robot development, including BYD Electronics, Siemens, and Teradyne Robotics, said they are adopting the Isaac robotics platform for R&D and production.

Nvidia_Q224_005.png

Last edited:
The current top 10 GPUs in the Steam Survey (August 2024) are:

RTX 3060 Desktop: 5.51% + RTX 3060 Laptop: 3.5% = 9.1%
RTX 4060 Laptop : 4.5% + RTX 4060 Desktop : 3.4% = 7.9%
GTX 1650 : 3.90%
RTX 3060 Ti : 3.43%
RTX 3070 : 3.15%
RTX 2060 : 3.14%
GTX 1060 : 2.93%
RTX 4060 Ti : 2.9%
RTX 3050: 2.8%
RTX 4070: 2.5%

Surprised the 1650 is that high when it was replaced by the 1650S about 6 months later for a very similar price, 1650S is currently at 0.43% (9x difference) and in the bottom half. Although no distinction between desktop and laptop and I don't know if there was a 1650S laptop version anyway. Laptop market likely dwarfing the desktop sales here

Although no distinction between desktop and laptop
Yeah, the distinction only started to happen with 30 and 40 series, before those every laptop and desktop GPU were grouped under the same SKU name. For example: the RTX 2060 entry entails both desktop and laptop versions.

I think the GTX1650 was, until the RTX3050 6GB, the fastest <75W PCIE power only consumer gaming-oriented card from Nvidia.* Prebuilt office SFF refurbishments and such might be the market there.

*Excluding the professional market segment RTX A2000

Last edited:
I think it is inevitable but as of now ...
Nvidia did not receive a U.S. Justice Department subpoena, a spokesperson said in a statement on Wednesday.
"We have inquired with the U.S. Department of Justice and have not been subpoenaed. Nonetheless, we are happy to answer any questions regulators may have about our business."

Bloomberg News reported on Tuesday the Justice Department had sent a subpoena related to a potential antitrust investigation, which would signal an escalation in the probe. Bloomberg News said subpoenas had been sent to other companies in addition to Nvidia.

Back