NVIDIA Continues to Gain in the Performance DirectX9 market

phenix

Regular
NVIDIA Corp. managed to once again improve its positioning in the performance segment of the DirectX 9.0-supporting graphics cards market in the Q1 2005, according to recently released figures by Mercury Research. The data may indicate growing success of NVIDIA’s GeForce 6-series graphics chips as well as NVIDIA’s multi-GPU SLI technology.

NVIDIA Leads “Performance DirectX 9.0 Market
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20050502125621.html

I do not like the way they rate GPU's by transistor count. I know it's just one of the many metersticks that can be used and it's not biased towards one IHV or the other, it just seems silly and a really bad way to judge performance.

I'm still sticking with my system.

The key is availablity I think. Nvidia increased their share because they could be able to deliver more or less what they promised. ATI defendend their performance king position but they never could increase their availibility.

By the way, before anybody says spare me your "big OEM deals" excuses I don't swallow that no more. :rolleyes:

I'm unclear how this maps to the Peddie report. Is this one only for discrete add-in? Otherwise I can't make them consistent with each other.

I would think the ramping of X800XL AGP will start to impact this one for second quarter if it is only add-in. I would guess this reflects some serious booty-kicking by the 6600GT in the marketplace.

I think its more of the craptastic 5200 being sold in many OEM PC's, than anything else.

phenix said:
The key is availablity I think. Nvidia increased their share because they could be able to deliver more or less what they promised. ATI defendend their performance king position but they never could increase their availibility.

Yeah, because the release of the PCI-E 6800GT/Ultras have LOTS of availability...? No. It wasnt until SEVERAL months after they came out, that they were readily available, and anywhere close to MSRP.

ATi could never? The X850 and XL line launched with cards pretty easy to find. In most stores in fact, where highend NV cards dont seem to be. At least not around me.

Went to CompUSA to get some DVD's and did my general browsing of the video card isle, they had AGP/PCI-E X800XL's, and PCI-E X850XT's. Fastest NV card were 6600GT's.

fallguy said:
I think its more of the craptastic 5200 being sold in many OEM PC's, than anything else.

The 5200 has less than 100m trannies, so that's not it. However, the 6200 is over 100m, and now I perceive the justice of Digi's comment upstream. . ."performance" indeed.

The 6600 line probably contributed significantly. There was a very long period of time where ATI had nothing from the new line to compete with it.

trinibwoy said:
The 6600 line probably contributed significantly. There was a very long period of time where ATI had nothing from the new line to compete with it.

They still have nothin in the 6600GT price segment.
X800 is still a lot more expensive.
So the 6600GT 6600 and 6200 still contributes to some huge market share.

We will se a better pricture when Nvidia announces financial results in may. If their revenue is up by a decent amount my guess is that ATI lost significant market share.

The 6600 GT and the 6800 GT are most definitely nvidia's two best sellers. The X800 XL is only now starting to show up in quantities so nvidia had the upper hand for awhile there. In terms of the 6600 GT, yes ATI does have something to compete, and compete is does, very well. That something is the vanilla X800, but availability is still very poor for this part.

ATI still dominates the high end sector with their X800/X850 XTs, but of course the lower price points sell more volume.

ANova said:
ATI still dominates the high end sector with their X800/X850 XTs, but of course the lower price points sell more volume.

In benchmarks or in sales/popularity? I've been browsing some other video forums recently and it doesn't look like the XT's are recommended too often.

trinibwoy said:
ANova said:

In benchmarks or in sales/popularity? I've been browsing some other video forums recently and it doesn't look like the XT's are recommended too often.

In both. The high end has never been a big seller for obvious reasons which is exactly why most people recommend the 6800 GT or X800 XL instead.

For those who don't care about money the X8x0 XTs are the cards of choice both for their performance and show off value, in terms of single card solutions at least. SLi and the marketing nvidia used to promote it are certainly making a difference as well but again, that's another sector entirely, above the high end so it also sells less overall.

ANova said:
SLi and the marketing nvidia used to promote it are certainly making a difference as well but again, that's another sector entirely, above the high end so it also sells less overall.

Kyle just took another shot over at [H] at NV SLI. This time on widescreen compatibility. I've been relatively impressed that they've been both willing to stick a needle in NV from time to time in a highly-visible front-page way over the last several months on SLI issues and say nice things when those issues are addressed. Fairly responsible behavior in my book.

fallguy said:

phenix said:

Yeah, because the release of the PCI-E 6800GT/Ultras have LOTS of availability...? No. It wasnt until SEVERAL months after they came out, that they were readily available, and anywhere close to MSRP.

ATi could never? The X850 and XL line launched with cards pretty easy to find. In most stores in fact, where highend NV cards dont seem to be. At least not around me.

Went to CompUSA to get some DVD's and did my general browsing of the video card isle, they had AGP/PCI-E X800XL's, and PCI-E X850XT's. Fastest NV card were 6600GT's.
I'm pretty sure only a miniscule part of sales is $300+ cards, and the reference is to the budget and midrange sector which Nvidia dominated with 6600/6600GT and 6200.
I know in this part of the woods it's also still harder to get an ATi High end card TODAY, over Nvidia's PCIe models.
EDIT:Stupid of me not to read the whole thread before replying like this.... :oops:

geo said:
Kyle just took another shot over at [H] at NV SLI. This time on widescreen compatibility.
yeah, i just read that. i was particularly amused by this...

[H said:
]Workaround is to select 1280x1024 or any other 4:3 resolution
1280*1024 isn't a 4 : 3 ratio. it's 4 : 3.2. 1280*960 would be 4 : 3.

i'm amazed with the problems nVidia has had thus far with sli. i seriously wouldn't have guessed it would be such a special case performance solution.

see colon said:
i'm amazed with the problems nVidia has had thus far with sli. i seriously wouldn't have guessed it would be such a special case performance solution.

I was just about to post this same sentiment. From my knowledge of how SLI works I don't understand how they can have such an obscure problem like resolution incompatibility.

see colon said:

Well, ATI gets their turn soon. It will be quite interesting to see if they have to climb the same ramp to the same degree, or if their solution is significantly more polished right off the boat.

I'd be highly (and pleasantly) surprised if it was close-to-perfect, but that's not a reasonable standard anyway.

i guess i was expecting too much. my V2 sli array worked with everything i threw at it. the only issue i ever saw was later on when either one card was failing or perhaps the sli connector, where the screen would become noticibly interlaced. after a few days of that randomly popping up i removed the V2's from my computer. i was using a GF3 anyway as my primary card and only used the voodoo's for UT and D2, both of which ran just fine on the GF3.

nVidia's sli seams more hit and miss, with some games not supported at all, some resolutions borked, and just a general lack of compatabity that nVidia is basicly known for. i think nVidia sli owners might know how it felt to own an S3 or powerVR card back in the day.

see colon said:
i guess i was expecting too much.

Well, maybe not. My reference to ATI's standard was really in relation to the mark NV set for them this time around to match or beat. :) At least in a macro sense --each individual consumer is of course entitled to set their own standard of reasonability. Tho I suspect there were few SLI purchasers who didn't do their homework in advance on the web and were at least somewhat aware that their were going to be some teething pains with NV SLI.

I think graphics and the graphics pipeline in general are a hell of a lot more complex than the V2 days tho, and that has to play a role in all this.

Nvidia is known for compatibility issues? Also, keep in mind that the featureset and complexity of 3d rendering in the Voodoo's time was very simple compared to today. Although one can argue that if 3dfx could do it in its day, Nvidia/ATI could do it today.

Back