Nvidia abandons deal to buy ARM *spawn*

:) hehe, thoughts of a business and hardware noob like me:
Following Apples success, NV making desktop ARM, pushing Intel and AMD out of business, giving mobile another try and succeed, making proprietary next gen game engine with AI characters that can sing and dance, goodbye Sony, next gen NBox costing 4K $$$.
... still scared :D

Well, NVIDIA already have ARM CPU, even has their own core design (Project Denver). So if they want to (or are able to do that well), they can already do that. Buying ARM is not going to change that too much.
Obviously, NVIDIA would want to pair their GPUs with their own ARM CPU if they can. However, even in the HPC market, good support for popular software is still very important. It will take some time before most important software toolkit are available in ARM64 binary (The Fujitsu supercomputer might accelerate that, but it's a very different architecture).

However, even in the HPC market, good support for popular software is still very important. It will take some time before most important software toolkit are available in ARM64 binary (The Fujitsu supercomputer might accelerate that, but it's a very different architecture).
I believe from the software angle the CUDA on ARMS preview is available (June 2019) for ARMS AI and HPC applications. A concerted effort by Nvidia to complete the full stack is likely since it will play a major role in creating consolidated systems using their own GPU's and CPU's.

Can't wait for everyone to continue just as they were because there is no "trust" in business, only among forum fanboys.
No one in their right mind trusts Nvidia.
For gods sake QC is knives out at every external attempt to influence Cortex roadmaps and that's with ARM being neutral.

You are not "no one", friend. And since you've mentioned Apple - they build their own h/w and have a lifetime license for ISA. It's about zero influence on them who owns Arm. And they are not alone. The rest of your insights on the matter are of similar quality.

You are not "no one", friend
What.
lifetime license for ISA
And they leverage it as long as it moves into the direction they like.
Which it may not.
It's about zero influence on them who owns Arm.
Yes it is.
And they are not alone
No they are not.
QC and SS will be frothing. A lot.
Assuming the deal even goes through.
The rest of your insights on the matter are of similar quality.
Get back to discussing client GPUs, please.

I doubt it would do much on ARM mobile ecosystem. Nvidia probably isn't interested in purchasing Arm for its mobile presence, as business model is already established and growth potential just isn't there on that front.
However, there are lot of things Nvidia could do on Data Center and IoT. as Nvidia brings lot of their own tech on that front, and I think that is why Nvidia is even interested in buying ARM in the first place.

Back