NVIDIA CineFX Architecture (NV30)

Uhm, that's what I meant! It was meant as a fun poke at Matrox, hence the little yellow chap with the wink...

Though I think Matrox has made the point for me. It can be seen right there how rarely 4 TMUs really are of any benefit unless specifically exposed, they would have probably fared much better with a 8x2 or even a 8x1 setup. Of course implementations may vary and a 4x4 from another company might be faster, but I don't think I'm all too interested in finding out...

I did not mean the number of texture address registers per pixel shader (that is, imho, what is mentioned in the paper and is the same number for r300 because it is what ps2.0 demands, btw it just means that nv30/r300 will be able to do 16 textures/pass), i was referring to the number of dx6/7 style tus.

Richthofen said:
Well i dont think so but i think for sure it will be available during november in europe.
So it might be a 2 months difference maybe 2 to 3.
So what - that is nothing.
I can wait and most people will do that not matter which chip they prefer.

Was going to read all of the thread before even thinking about replying....but...
So 2 months is nothing....what if ATi releases a R300 (to use nVidia terms) Ultra about 2-3 months after we can get the NV30...are you going to wait for it?
I'm not a ***boy of any type,I buy what suits me best when I need it...and will tell my friends what I find to be the best card for their use...(allround with DVD's,gaming and all it'd be 8500 right now and for pure gaming a GF4 and so on...)
I don't know if your point was that "I can wait for nVidia to release their killer chip or if I misunderstood...
I just dislike ***boy'ish comments....R300 seems to be quite a good chip....and I doubt nVidia will release a bad chip.(could turn out to be an Intel vs. AMD turnaround this time of course....but that'd be great imho,every now and then,the leader needs to wake up and do something more/new....it keeps the business and evolution going...)

Going along with reading and finding more interesting things....so edit: :)
entropy said:
This is a different kind of place.

You state an absolute - basically a faith/religious kind of statement. When such is applied to gfx-corporations people around here regard it as distasteful to repulsive/disgusting. And always pathetic.

Look around, pay particular attention to the tone set by the people involved in this site, and if it isn't the place for you, move on to something better.

Yep,it is a different place...and full of very knowledgeable people.(which I don't claim myself to be btw...the deep discussions go _way_ over my head...)
I find a few ATi vs nVidia threads can be fun and are even expected now and then...I mean,no forum with a bunch of regulars can always be friendly....you'll always get these discussions.(and like in any other friendly forum people "kiss and make up")
If people here didn't have a sense of humour poor old Nappe would suffer a lot I think.... :p (J/K Nappe...I'd certainly get one of "their" chips even if it's "just" equal to competition....if for no other reason than to support our brother country in the east. :))

doomtrooper said:
PC games used to drive technology forward, now its the other way around..comments about 'people think its silly becuase they don't understand it' is all I need to read.

I think it still is gaming that drives the tech forward,just like pr0n drove the 'net forward....
How I see it is that tech is catching up to give the more vital parts of the gaming producers what they want...(read,first and foremost Carmack,second Sweeney...)

Back