NV50 being optimized for UnrealEngine 3?

OpenGL guy said:
jb said:
Epic in the past as done things like this. We all remember the Glide path of UT/Unreal. And how much better Unreal looked at first in Glide :) Ahh watching the Nali Castle flyby the first tim in Glide..oh my!

So I can only hope that the gaming comunity can move away from IHV spefic features.
There was a MeTaL path as well for S3 cards.

aye and it looked so much better in MeTal than Glide :)

Randell said:
OpenGL guy said:
jb said:
Epic in the past as done things like this. We all remember the Glide path of UT/Unreal. And how much better Unreal looked at first in Glide :) Ahh watching the Nali Castle flyby the first tim in Glide..oh my!

So I can only hope that the gaming comunity can move away from IHV spefic features.
There was a MeTaL path as well for S3 cards.

aye and it looked so much better in MeTal than Glide :)

That's because we had such superior hardware to work with. :)

pity a faster core with a 128bit bus didn't come out. My S4 was as fast as my V3 at 800x600 in most games but tailed off at 1024x768.

Of course the V3 didnt lock up online in UT so I guessed I would have stuck with it anyway.

It is true :

nvfs_ut043.jpg

The "optimizations" might be "what Epic wants", but certainly not "available to UnrealEngine3 only".

Xmas said:
The "optimizations" might be "what Epic wants", but certainly not "available to UnrealEngine3 only".

If the optimizations are specific enough and not made public, then Epic might try to say these extensions are part of their copyrighted code. Especially if these optimizations are not released prior to the release of the UnrealEngine 3.

At the very least, the statement in that slide was a pretty poor choice of words, and could very well translate either into a waste of silicon or a reduction in the previously more universal applicability of features.

Talk with your wallet, what is Epic doing for me and why should I buy their title...especially with prior experience with their partnership BS.

Fake PR Person from Epic said:
Announcement Epic and Nvidia have teamed together to produce state of the art graphics in Epic's up coming title unreal 3. The new power of the Nvidia's Hexadecima shader engine which has twice the precision of Doom 3's 8 bit rendering engine giving the user full s10e5 float point quality with unprecedented speed.

Doomtrooper said:
Talk with your wallet, what is Epic doing for me and why should I buy their title...especially with prior experience with their partnership BS.
Geez DT it's really tough though!, I've spent more time playing Epics games then I have playing games from any other game house. I considered boycotting EA back when they jumped into bed with nVidia but they have so many damn titles that I really enjoy. I simply have to relax my morals when it comes to nVidia and try not to think about what their doing. I've been considering buying a 5900 anyways since their so cheap now....

micron said:
Doomtrooper said:
Geez DT it's really tough though!, I've spent more time playing Epics games then I have playing games from any other game house. I considered boycotting EA back when they jumped into bed with nVidia but they have so many damn titles that I really enjoy. I simply have to relax my morals when it comes to nVidia and try not to think about what their doing. I've been considering buying a 5900 anyways since their so cheap now....

Eh, I'm semi-boycotting EA ;)
Actually, if I *really* want something they develop, I'll buy it. But I need to really, really want to have it - and that means I probably buy 75% less games from them as I would if I didn't have that stand.

The reason?
The idiots cancelled Ultima Online 2 :cry:
RIP.

Uttar

EDIT: I think the only game I bought from them in a while is Sim City 4, and considering I didn't have much fun with it, and I don't see anything that's worth buying from them in the next fifty billion years... ;) Might as well soon make that a full boycot :D
Damn, I loved UO2... It's probably the I expected the most EVER. That attention to detail they had... Just stunning!

Nvidia may be willing to listen to Epic and provide support for some generic tech that Epic want, but that doesn't mean that ATI won't be developing the same kind of advanced tech that can provide the same functionality using different methods.

Looking at how much better Unreal engines run on ATI hardware (in terms of IQ, speed, and how much longer it was available before Nvdia's inferior offering arrived), I'd not be surprised to see Epic engines performing just as well or better on ATI hardware.

It's a bit sad for Nvidia to be wheeling out their pet developers to endorse the architechure *after* the upcoming architechture, and makes me think that Nvdia have already admitted defeat with NV40 vs R420.

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
It's a bit sad for Nvidia to be wheeling out their pet developers to endorse the architechure *after* the upcoming architechture, and makes me think that Nvdia have already admitted defeat with NV40 vs R420.

Well, I doubt they are admitting defeat. Perhaps they don't expect to crush ATI once and for all with the NV40 though *grins* - my personal expectation still is that we'll see a mixed bag between these two products.

However, I'd say the reason for this is that NV50 has been NVIDIA's pet project for a while. Just look at how much they insist on "how huge cluster is gonna be used for NV50 processing in a year or so" and stuff - they NEVER did that for the NV10, NV20, NV30 or even NV40.
And of course, the reason behind that is the good ole ILDP nature of the NV50. Mmmmmm, ILDP...

Uttar

Uttar said:

Well, I doubt they are admitting defeat. Perhaps they don't expect to crush ATI once and for all with the NV40 though *grins* - my personal expectation still is that we'll see a mixed bag between these two products.

However, I'd say the reason for this is that NV50 has been NVIDIA's pet project for a while. Just look at how much they insist on "how huge cluster is gonna be used for NV50 processing in a year or so" and stuff - they NEVER did that for the NV10, NV20, NV30 or even NV40.
And of course, the reason behind that is the good ole ILDP nature of the NV50. Mmmmmm, ILDP...

Uttar

So why did Nvidia break the consistent "we don't comment on unreleased product" stance? This is just spoiler stuff, hoping to distract from poor NV3x products and much better ATI XT products. They've been chucking out all these pointless press releases over the last couple of months, and this is all just more marketing BS.

Now they are already talking up the NV50 which won't be here for another 12-18 months minimum. This is more of the empty "we'll fix it all in the next driver/chip/benchmark" promises we've come to expect.

So why did Nvidia break the consistent "we don't comment on unreleased product" stance? This is just spoiler stuff, hoping to distract from poor NV3x products and much better ATI XT products. They've been chucking out all these pointless press releases over the last couple of months, and this is all just more marketing BS.

Now they are already talking up the NV50 which won't be here for another 12-18 months minimum. This is more of the empty "we'll fix it all in the next driver/chip/benchmark" promises we've come to expect.

Firstly, it was Epic who made the comment/slide, not nVidia (even if nVidia knew about the inclusion of the NV50 comment). Also, this really isn't as much of a change from their old stance - it's often said that "future hardware will be X or Y". Those blanket statements have just been more specific this time. The only thing that has changed is that they've put a part number on it.

Doomtrooper said:
Ok, but by boycotting Epic you mean we just gotta stop buying their games...right? We can still keep playing 'em? ;)

Back