NPD July 2008 *Rules: Post #133

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey ,it was stated that the ps3 is cheaper which is not true , the xbox is more expensive for one of its sku.
That is all i'm pointing out. The arcade isn't a viable option vs the pro. With the pro you get a hardrive and head set.

hey ,it was stated that the ps3 is cheaper which is not true , the xbox is more expensive for one of its sku.
That is all i'm pointing out. The arcade isn't a viable option vs the pro. With the pro you get a hardrive and head set.

I think you made a point of the arcade being just as good for games as the Harddrive based 360´s.

I think you've totally missed my point.

My point is that changing from 40 GB to 80 GB is probably not a "price cut" decision
but rather a "We want to scrap the 40 GB model production line and change it into a larger capacity model since it makes more sense.
While we are at it, since the 80GB one that we are going to still manufacture costs essentially the same, why don't you put the larger harddrive in it and everyone can be happy." decision made by the manufacturers.

Using the 80 GB harddrives makes so much much more sense than the 40 GB ones since 40 GB platters are most probably not used in any other model, but 80 GB platters are probably used in a variety of models.

I wanted to comment on this.

If the average videogame console consumer walks into a store and remembers seeing the new 80GB model selling at the price of the old 40GB PS3, he/she is going to believe they are getting "more for their dollar" or "legal tender currency".

That said if the same average consumer then sees in Oct/Nov a brand new 160GB PS3 Uncharted bundle model selling for the same price the MGS4 PS3 80GB bundle he/she will believe somewhere that they are getting a great deal... kind of like how when I price matched my PS3 60GB insert your game bundle last year with Heavenly Sword and the Blu Ray remote deal from Walmart at Best Buy so its all relative.

The point people are dancing around but seemingly unable to vocalize is this: The Arcade and Pro are both cheaper than the PS3, but their sales are worse. However, if/once the 360 drops to ~$200, this is a fundamental shift beyond simply 'another price cut.' The idea that "cheaper 360's don't matter" is not yet born out, because certain prices matter more than others. I personally would expect to see a reasonable sales increase in 360 monthly units (and the popularity of the Arcade SKU) if/when it does break the $200 barrier. How much and for how long, who knows...

On the other debate at play about value vs price-cuts, I'm in the boat with those that view feature-upgrades as a shift along the value axis rather than a shift along the pricing axis.

Pedantic in the extreme.

I think you made a point of the arcade being just as good for games as the Harddrive based 360´s.

Yes that point has been vocalised on several ocassions on this forum.

Software and hardware are intrinsically linked :rolleyes:.

And?

How does that make your crystal ball predictions of LBP mass market appeal any more interesting? The point isn't that software doesn't sell hardware...the point is that speculating about unproven IP's that are coming out sometime in the vague future, is a pointless exercise.

And?

How does that make your crystal ball predictions of LBP mass market appeal any more interesting? The point isn't that software doesn't sell hardware...the point is that speculating about unproven IP's that are coming out sometime in the vague future, is a pointless exercise.

'Crystal ball'. OK, be immature if you like. Derail the thread, sure. It wouldnt be the first time thats happened.

The mods have had their say, so thats the end of it as far as I'm concerned. Whats obvious though, is that I do not need to explain myself to you.

'Crystal ball'. OK, be immature if you like. Derail the thread, sure. It wouldnt be the first time thats happened.

The mods have had their say, so thats the end of it as far as I'm concerned. Whats obvious though, is that I do not need to explain myself to you.

haha good effort there trying to take umbrage to that comment. The simple fact is that you have no idea if LBP is going to be the next GTA or the next eye toy in terms of sales. There's definitely a group of rabid fans at Neogaf and here, but it has been proven time and again that these groups are hardly representative of real world buying habits for the majority of consumers.

There is, it's called neogaf. If people want to talk about future games it's best done in the specific game thread. NPD discussion should be about sales trends and predictions based on NPD values, not completely subjective "which game is going to be better".

Lock this thread it's obviously going nowhere anymore.

I'll quote this for its value as the closing remark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back