NPD February 2009

Yes, but it's lost ground in Europe since the 360's price drop. That says that price is the PS3's problem in that region as well.

Yup, I completely agree. I recall there was actually a time when the PS3 surpassed the 360 in Europe. If Sony had responded properly, they could still be 2nd place in Europe right now.

Yes, but it's lost ground in Europe since the 360's price drop.

Who said that?
What "ground" could it lose in 3 months?
The only place in EU where X360 sells well is the UK. It has 1 million units advantage there. But it's obvious that UK is just a small version of US in terms of console public.

Oh, and I suppose X360 was "struggling in 3rd place" across 2008 then?

Who said that?
The only place in EU where X360 sells well is the UK. It has 1 million units advantage there. But it's obvious that UK is just a small version of US in terms of console public.

You mean 6 months? The price cut was mid September. If the sales differences are comparable to the US, the ground lost in that time could easily be another million units.

#'s for europe

Europe:
360 Jan 5th 2009: 8 Million (up from 7 Milion on Nov 22nd)
PS3 Feb 8th 2009: 8.5 million

UK
360 Jan 3rd 2009: 3.2 Million
PS3 Mar 5th 2009: 2 Million

360 is selling about 500k units per month in europe now versus 350k for the ps3. Consumer perception in the EU on the 360 changed after the price cut and swift exchange of RROD or disc scratching consoles. At the current rate the only place where the PS3 leads the 360 in sales would be Japan.

Edit, for those that differntiate between Europe and EMEA. 360 sold 4,5 million units in "other" areas vs. 1.9 for the PS3.

Who said that?

How do you know?

It's likely outselling PS3 in some other EU countries since the price drop.

Source?

Unless you have polls on perception before and after how would you know?

Most numbers come from the wiki pages of both consoles

(7 million here: http://www.mcvuk.com/news/32414/Xbox-360-storms-past-7m-sales-in-Europe)
(8 million here: http://www.neowin.net/news/gamers/09/03/16/xbox-360-surpasses-8-million-sales-in-europe)

gfk/chartrack 360 outsells ps3 in europe: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/360-enjoys-highest-sales-month-ever-in-europe

Japans numbers were 3M for the PS3 and 1M for the 360 up to march.

Ah, Perception. Well, for a couple of years now there's the "disc scratching" issue with the 360. over the years (this was brought to light in 2006 in a consumer show) the responses were furious but in the last show the issue was mentioned (jan 2009) they found that repairs or replacements of faulty drives/units was handled "properly" and that the final amount of complaints was lower than when the issue first surfaced.

that monthly "outselling" number I wrote down was probably wrong, quoted from a private discussion.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't really think "core" gamers needs to worry. There will always be a "core" gamer market.

I think the High Voltage (the Conduit, for Wii)/Sega is right, there is 40M+ plus consoles, some of them are hardcore games. Once devs realize that there will be "hardcore games" in every system. The system dont make the gamers, it is the other way around.

Whatever happen there will always be hardcore games as long as there is hardcore gamers, meybe with a diferent distribuition per market shares or consoles.

I think the High Voltage (the Conduit, for Wii)/Sega is right, there is 40M+ plus consoles, some of them are hardcore games. Once devs realize that there will be "hardcore games" in every system. The system dont make the gamers, it is the other way around.

Whatever happen there will always be hardcore games as long as there is hardcore gamers, meybe with a diferent distribuition per market shares or consoles.

You can argue that all you want, however a different demographic is attracted to buying the Wii versus the 360/PS3. Granted in all demographics there's always a bit of an outlier...

Consider how much larger the install base for Wii is, yet any cross platform game still struggles to outsell the PS3 version much less the X360 version.

True if all devs stopped making games for X360/PS3 then "core" gamers would have no choice but to pick up with the Wii or a PC. But it's not like that's about to happen anytime soon.

The only games to have had any sort of mass market success on Wii have generally been the more casual non-"core"-gamer type games.

Then again if I suddenly see Mad World at the top of the NPD charts by a large margine I'll eat my words. :)

Regards,
SB

You can argue that all you want, however a different demographic is attracted to buying the Wii versus the 360/PS3. Granted in all demographics there's always a bit of an outlier...

Wii just has a wider apeal then either PS3 or 360. It sells to both traditional gamers and people who don't normally play games.

Consider how much larger the install base for Wii is, yet any cross platform game still struggles to outsell the PS3 version much less the X360 version.

Really, are you sure?..

The only games to have had any sort of mass market success on Wii have generally been the more casual non-"core"-gamer type games.

What do you call mass market success then?

Then again if I suddenly see Mad World at the top of the NPD charts by a large margin I'll eat my words. :)

It'll be right up there with Manhunt and other games whose entire selling gimmick is an absurd level of violence. There are lots core games that have done well on Wii, like Mariokart and Resident Evil 4. There are "expanded market" titles that have done well, too, like Guitar Hero III and Wii Fit.

Wii just has a wider apeal then either PS3 or 360. It sells to both traditional gamers and people who don't normally play games.

Does it? Is there any indication that the Wii has managed to appeal to more than the Nintendo faithful when it comes to the 'traditional gamers'? It seems like there's fewer of the traditional gamers than there are PS3 owners, and there ain't that many PS3 owners. It really isn't an outrageous claim to say that the demographic the Wii appeals to is not the PS360 demographic. In fact, half of the time fearsomepirate is trying to remind us of it!

Making excuses for every single game that fails to chart doesn't help either.

There's also the notion that even core games on the Wii sell well beyond their release date, but there's not even much evidence of this. Don't forget, these are games that fail to chart in the top 20 and in the Wii top 10, but are somehow still selling enough to fulfill expectations. The leaked NPD numbers from earlier in the thread are remarkably scarce on Wii results.

I thought the argument made on the gametrailers podcast was interesting, which was that it's still pretty hard for 3rd party to make money on the Wii. Even though the initial investment is smaller than on other platforms, you still have to spend a fair bit on fine-tuning the Wii-mote controls, and the graphics, which are both now increasingly one-off (in which sense the PS360 is often really considered as one market) - especially in combination. When you design a game for the Wii in theory you can port some of it to PS2 and PSP, but then you really can't make the wii-mote a focal point in your game. Then the competition with Nintendo titles remains really difficult, with Wii owners still buying a lot of Nintendo titles almost per default (everyone buys Mario Kart), and apparently royalty fees for a Nintendo title are almost the same as for PS3 and 360, but with a maximum title price of 39,95 that's a much bigger cut (and makes competition with Nintendo even harder). It was an interesting discussion.

A few days old, but somewhat relevant to past and current discussions.

So . . . if Wii is less expensive to develop for, yet a Wii game must sell 1m in order to be profitable . . . what does it say about all those PS360 games that don't even sell 1m?
We had a thread a while back saying 7 out of 10 games don't even make their money back. I think the model is basically funding lots of economically unsound titles because the few who are a success bring in enough funding to pay for the rest, rather than every title has to be profitable. And AFAIK this is the same with films and books, with no creation being pretty sure of making its money back. This is why creators end up selling their soul to publishers, because the publishing is actually a high-risk investment but creators need publishers to fund them. Otherwise nothing would get made. Look even at how cheap XNA titles fail to make their small investment!

I guess that means that DLC is going to be even more prevalent from this generation going forward, as it's pretty much the only way to generate revenue after the sale.

... or the devs learn how to target Wii audience better after making enough mistakes. Sega seems to like their House of the Dead and Madworld sales so far.

... or the devs learn how to target Wii audience better after making enough mistakes. Sega seems to like their House of the Dead and Madworld sales so far.

It might've performed according to expectations, which is fine, but then SEGA is admitting the limited hardcore audience on the Wii. Remember, this is a title that didn't chart anywhere on the top 20 or on the top 10 Wii. Remember, that by these very standards every HD game must hit it out of the park -- but talking head with obvious vested interests about a game that completely failed to chart is now a success.

MadWorld ? or House of the Dead ? or both ?

MadWorld is pretty hardcore (I'm sure others will, but I won't buy it even if it's on PS3).

MadWorld ? or House of the Dead ? or both ?

MadWorld is pretty hardcore (I'm sure others will, but I won't buy it even if it's on PS3).

House of the Dead. Madworld did poorly in the UK, though we'll only get to know its results now on the 16th. It seems to have done worse than HotD, especially by SEGA-guy's wording.

Back