Killzone 2 SONY PS3 323K
Wii Mario Kart with wheel NINTENDO OF AMERICA WII 263K
Call of Duty: World at War* ACTIVISION BLIZZARD 360 193K
Mario Kart DS NINTENDO OF AMERICA NDS 145K
New Super Mario Bros NINTENDO OF AMERICA NDS 144K
Guitar HeroWorld Tour* ACTIVISION BLIZZARD WII 136K

Cool,

Just saw it on GAF as well.

I'm surprised that SFIV did not do better. Still, I guess it's pretty decent numbers for a fighter (almost a million combined).

SFIV did better than I thought, especially on PS3.
I thought KZ2 would do a little better, but I guess it was only out for 2 days. Hopefully word of mouth and the relatively late commercials give it legs. Will be interesting to see how it does next month.

Good 360 and Wii numbers. Hopefully this YoY decrease for Sony will force them drop the price of the PS3.

I expect KZ2 will hit over a million by the end of March.

I expect Halo Wars, RE5 (both versions) and KZ2 to chart next month.

I expect KZ2 will hit over a million by the end of March.

I expect Halo Wars, RE5 (both versions) and KZ2 to chart next month.

I doubt it reaches over a million sold in NA by the end of March. As far as worldwide I believe it is already slightly past the 1 million mark. The KZ franchise simply doesnt have enough consumer recognition and there are entirely too many other high profile titles launched recently. Though who knows I could be wrong.

Feb 08 for comparisons:

Hardware
Feb 08
PlayStation 2 351.8K
PlayStation 3 280.8K
PlayStation Portable 243.1K
Xbox 360 254.6K
Nintendo DS 587.6K
Wii 432K

Feb 09
PlayStation 2 131K
PlayStation 3 276K
PSP 199K
Xbox 360 391K
Nintendo DS 588K
Wii 753K

KZ2 was far more hyped than SF4, yet SF4 sold better...850K just in USA first month..better relatively on PS3.

I expect RE5 to do even better. (Capcom already did a press release stating 4 million RE5 shipped) Capcom is cleaning up this gen.

Crazy as it sounds, think Wii is the loser here. PS3 and 360 are turning in solid growing sales. Wii has tanked in Japan and finally met demand in USA in February, so that 750K is truly a non supply constrained number for the first time ever. Now you have to wonder if it begins to drop. Even so, it's not outselling the combined HD market by much.

PS3 and 360 were both about 100k above my expectations. I expected 200 and 300k respectively.

Way to go out on a limb :LOL:

From all indications we have Halo Wars is selling close to KZ2.

Well I thought that the KZ2 prediction was at least a little uncertain;)

For a little more risky prediction I expect them to fall in the charts in this order relative to each other:

Halo Wars
RE5 360
RE5 PS3
KZ2

KZ2 may have had more hype, but SF is a very popular franchise, whereas KZ is not. Sony also dropped the ball (once again) on marketing. It's also pretty clear that shooters sell considerably better on 360 in North America than on PS3, yet a game like SF4 sells about equal. Not to mention SF4 was released considerably earlier in the month.

KZ2 was far more hyped than SF4, yet SF4 sold better...850K just in USA first month..better relatively on PS3.

Are you using a combined system total of a multiplatform game to compare against a single system game? I would think you would use the SFIV PS3 sales vs the KZ2 PS3 sales to see which game that user base favored but again SFIV had a longer time to track sales for than KZ2.

Either way, great numbers for SFIV and KZ2. Capcom certainly are cleaning house and sounds like RE5 will continue it! I am certainly excited about seeing next months RE5, Halo Wars and KZ numbers.

YoY for Microsoft and Nintendo are great but Sony's continue to sell less each month than they did the year before.

Killzone will easily sell more than 1m in the US.

I wouldnt be surprised if sales of Halo Wars tail off rapidly when people realise how little of a challenge the game is.

Last edited by a moderator:
KZ2 was far more hyped than SF4

:rolleyes:

Hype is for enthusiast, brand name gets sales. RE5, Halo (wars) and SF4 get a huge boost in awareness due to being a successful and popular franchise, Killzone 1 was neither popular or successful.

The only real surprise this month is the SF4 split. The PS3 YoY is misleading, last year was following a price drop.

I'm surprised at 360 hardware sales. MS was banking on the magic price point theory and it seems to be paying off. The YOY increase is very good.

As for SF4, the controller is clearly the key. Hell, I had to go out a madcatz controller just to make the game playable. I'd say if it wasn't for Live and people wanting to play with friends, the PS3 sales would have done even better. I feel bad for anyone use the stock dpad on the 360 and trying to play it.

I'll hold off my comments on KZ2 sales till after we get March numbers also. If it does a traditional large dropoff, then it's clearly just another title in the US. So far it's safe to say that it's not a hardware mover like MGS4 and I'll be curious to see how well it does for having legs. It was THE most hyped PS3 game that I can recall. Whether that translates to sales remains to be seen.

MGS4 wouldn't have moved as many PS3's as it did if it weren't for the bundle, not to mention it was still riding the wave of the price drop in the previous month.
I still feel that the PS3 is too expensive for any software to move the hardware. PS3 needs a price drop badly.

I doubt it reaches over a million sold in NA by the end of March. As far as worldwide I believe it is already slightly past the 1 million mark. The KZ franchise simply doesnt have enough consumer recognition and there are entirely too many other high profile titles launched recently. Though who knows I could be wrong.

Do we know this for sure?

I don't think so. KZ2 seems to be selling quite well in PAL regions. It was top 3 for a few weeks in a row in most countries. But other than rankings, we don't have any sales data.

I don't think so. KZ2 seems to be selling quite well in PAL regions. It was top 3 for a few weeks in a row in most countries. But other than rankings, we don't have any sales data.

I think it's possible -- it's outperformed Halo Wars in Charttrack every week they were against each other, and that just sold 1 million copies. But I was wondering if Sony had made any claims about KZ2's sales.

Back