Now Nintendo 64 games are native C games (console, PC, phone, etc, compatible).

Cyan

orange
Legend
Supporter
This is incredible, the Nintendo 64 games are now fully compiled to PC code in seconds.

Basically N64 games become NATIVE PC games. The N64 games are converted to the C programming language.

By becoming PC native, you can apply DLSS, Raytracing, widescreen support, better fps, mouse/kb support, etc., like any computer game.

Can't help but imagine playing my favourite N64 game, Diddy Kong Racing at high framerates and much better graphics and less input lag. I remembered playing it via emulation and completing it. Or playing Castlevania games of the N64, both underrated gems imho, which I completed on an emulator.

Then the kb/mouse combo will be very useful for games like Perfect Dark, Goldeneye 007, Turok 3, etc.

Last edited:
I am surprised how this is even legal. Ignoring the technical shenanigans of how they do it. Should this be allowed? Those are Nintendo's properties.

I am surprised how this is even legal. Ignoring the technical shenanigans of how they do it. Should this be allowed? Those are Nintendo's properties.
Decompilation and investigation and refactoring is fine. It's only an issue if they redistribute the PC .exe. Anyone making available a PC version of Super Mario will be breaking the law and Nintendo will slay them.

Ok, WTF is actually being 'recompiled' here? Am I missing something or are they just importing N64 native binary and translating its opcodes to C code framework which basically implements virtual MIPS CPU, thus doing pretty much exactly the same as emulator does but not in real time?

Ok, WTF is actually being 'recompiled' here? Am I missing something or are they just importing N64 native binary and translating its opcodes to C code framework which basically implements virtual MIPS CPU, thus doing pretty much exactly the same as emulator does but not in real time?
In the end the copyrighted property should be the actual end result so it shouldn't matter how they did it. BTW I had predicted one day this kind of thing would occur and this will happen with every games out there from any platforms. It doesn't matter how they made it run natively: those are Nintendo's properties: characters, music, stories etc. I certainly hope 😟 nobody will every try to make money from these shenanigans.

the guy of the video explained how it works. There were emulators using static recompilation in real time before, like Corn. It's just that the creator of this tool made it workable and somewhat intuitive.

This is quite the undertaking, Developers who lost the source code could potentially recover many games not only from N64 but from other platforms.

I am going to change the title of the thread, 'cos this can work on any kind of computer, be it a console, PC, phone, etc.

In the end the copyrighted property should be the actual end result so it shouldn't matter how they did it. BTW I had predicted one day this kind of thing would occur and this will happen with every games out there from any platforms. It doesn't matter how they made it run natively: those are Nintendo's properties: characters, music, stories etc. I certainly hope 😟 nobody will every try to make money from these shenanigans.
Shifty explained it already. Take into account that developers of this method figured out a way to use copyrighted material without distributing copyrighted material to avoid Nintendo from being able to issue any DMCA. In addition, this isn't for everyone, you know some know how to get all that code working on a console or computer, as can be seen on the video -the creator of the video is a programmer and worked in games like Quake-.

This method could benefit Nintendo -look at their own Switch ports of N64 in the video, they are just emulation without any improvements)-, being able to make ports to consoles without spending countless work hours, while also showing clear value over emulated versions.

It can also lead Nintendo to recover some source code that they may have lost.

Btw, my kudos to Modern Vintage Gamer for avoiding grandiloquent words and just being modest about it.

Last edited:
Back