Nokia to reveal Ngage 2 at E3!

TEXAN

Regular
Nokia looks forward
Maker of N-gage gaming cell phone plans next generation announcement for May.
March 11, 2005: 11:24 AM EST
Game Over is a weekly column by Chris Morris
The redesigned N-gage QD corrected many of the original version's design problems.

SAN FRANCISCO (CNN/Money) – If you're keeping score at home, the number of new gaming platforms that will be introduced and discussed this May has now jumped to four.

Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo will all show their next generation machines in some form or fashion at this year's Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3), the annual trade show of the video game industry. Now, add cell phone maker Nokia to the list.

Despite rumors it planned to exit the business altogether, the company behind the N-gage gaming phone said it is gearing up for a second round.

"We will be making a significant announcement at E3 regarding our next generation," said Gerard Wiener, general manager of Nokia's games business program.

Launched in October 2003, the N-gage has had a rather checkered life. Within two weeks of its retail release, Nokia was forced to cut the phone's price by $100. Hackers soon found a way to run its games on other systems. And the design met with nearly universal scorn.

A redesign correcting many of the design flaws hit the streets six months later, which helped sales, but the damage was already done to the N-gage's reputation.

To date, the system has sold just shy of 1.5 million units

But in the last few months, the N-gage has quietly been earning a modicum of respect among gamers lately with the release of titles that are designed around the system, rather than simply being ported over from other consoles.

Still lacking, though, are an abundance of quick in-and-out games people can play on the run. While the idea of having "Call of Duty" or "Splinter Cell" on your cell phone might appeal to some, the majority of people who play mobile games prefer something that does not require a time commitment.

Wiener acknowledged this has been a problem for the company.

"We need to embrace a larger demographic," he said.

Technology has also worked against the N-gage. The graphical quality of games has never been superior. And it looks woefully outdated compared to the cell phone graphics technology on display at this Game Developer's Conference. To break away from the pack and become the market leader it wants to be, Nokia needs to polish the look of its product.

Wiener hinted Nokia (Research) is ready to face that challenge.

"The technology behind these devices has a lot in common with the computing power in '96 and '97," he said. "In those years, you saw an explosion in technology and we're facing one of those in our industry now."

Can you say-

PowerVR MBX?

I'd love for Sega Sammy to port over their dreamcast back catalogue for this handheld.

Imagine playing Shenmue on the bus.

:oops: :oops: :oops:

then i hope they will get a bigger screen instead of that smart ass screeny they have for ngage

TEXAN said:
Ever wondered why SS's PSP and NDS release schedules are so empty?
cause that is how all newly launched systems are :)

anyway from what i understand about ngage 2 , its just a faster cpu than what is already in there and some new features . No dedicated graphics chip. But the last i heard about this was 6 months ago .

My ngage sits in a corner and has only been used once haha .

TEXAN said:

because they have E3 to anounce a lot of other games.
thank god we can fall back on our mobile phone games, i dont know what else to do if Im not mobile satisfied

TEXAN said:
You implying they're pouring virtually all their available resources into ngage (2) research, or something? Well, sega's both stupid and crazy, but they're not THAT stupid and crazy! :LOL:

jvd said:
TEXAN said:
anyway from what i understand about ngage 2 , its just a faster cpu than what is already in there and some new features . No dedicated graphics chip. But the last i heard about this was 6 months ago .

I think just having a faster CPU wouldn't mean next generation.

There have been rumours of an ngage successor using an OMAP 2420 since the beginning of last year.

I would be very VERY suprised if this doesn't happen.

TEXAN said:
There have been rumours of an ngage successor using an OMAP 2420 since the beginning of last year.

Rumors from who?

TEXAN said:
I would be very VERY suprised if this doesn't happen.

But haven't you made some pretty...uh..interesting predictions before - that didn't come to pass?

TEXAN said:
Can you say-

PowerVR MBX?

I'd love for Sega Sammy to port over their dreamcast back catalogue for this handheld.

Shenmue, if that's not the absolutely perfect pick up and play arcadey title handheld owners eat up, I don't know what is.

GwymWeepa said:
TEXAN said:
Can you say-

PowerVR MBX?

Shenmue, if that's not the absolutely perfect pick up and play arcadey title handheld owners eat up, I don't know what is.

It has perfect pickup and play arcadey titles within the game...when I got stuck in a loop in shenmue 1(due to some bug) I would pretty much just go to work, and then spend my days in the arcade.(I made a heck of a lot of money though, which made me really upset when it all got stolen at the start of shenmue 2)

Fox5 said:
GwymWeepa said:
TEXAN said:
Can you say-

PowerVR MBX?

It has perfect pickup and play arcadey titles within the game...when I got stuck in a loop in shenmue 1(due to some bug) I would pretty much just go to work, and then spend my days in the arcade.(I made a heck of a lot of money though, which made me really upset when it all got stolen at the start of shenmue 2)

They should have an arcade pack with all the games in Shenmue and Shenmue 2 (or are they the same titles?). I remember trying to play a bit of Shenmue 2 on my friend's Xbox, but I spent all my time in the arcade.

Back