No more Hulu stuttering! (GPU accelerated Flash)

FWIW, I had the same problem. Went from 9.10 to 9.11 and CCC failed to start. I just gave up and installed Tray Tools again.

Flash 10.1 is also outputting lower quality :/

I'm going to skip Flash-acceleration - on my desktop machine it's only nice to have anyway and not a must. 9.11 has too many bugs when applying AF and combinations of supersampling and selecting the lowered LOD (on 2x and 4x it is lowered to the same leve *doh* and on 8x it's not applied at all - only when i select multisampling *double-doh*. And sometimes it's all different again, with hitting the "defaults" button not making 8xAA go away and such.

Maby it's just my system, that's fu**ed up, but i've read similar things in the forae.

I'm sure you didn't deliver a WHQL Catalyst without working CCC. I've got it working now, too, but it was a lengthy process of deinstalling everything, trying to reinstall it (not working), deinstalling it again, re-installing 9.10, de-installing that one again and then re-installing 9.11.

From an end-user perspective, I don't think using .NET, which seems to be causing the problems, was such a wise move - sorry, but I've never experienced any UI-issues of this kind in drivers unless it was using .NET. No matter if it was from you guys, Matrox or someone else.

Maybe, when the next round of major overhauling is due, you could re-evaluate the UI-thingy? ;)

Hmmm, I wonder what's really going on there. I haven't had a driver installation issue with Cats since...hmmm. Well since they switched the driver name to Catalyst.

I did have a couple friends with problems, but for one it was a borked bios on his 9700pro. And for the other, it was a borked motherboard. In both cases the driver installation program wouldn't recognize that they actually had an ATI video card.

Regards,
SB

It's a little disturbing to read about so many driver issues. I'm on the verge of returning to pc gaming after playing consoles for a while & figured a 5870 would be a nice upgrade from my 8600. Now I'm having visions of frustration wrestling Cats into playing nice with w7-64 & ubuntu 9.10...

I'm on the verge of returning to pc gaming after playing consoles for a while & figured a 5870 would be a nice upgrade from my 8600.
It definitely is!

Now I'm having visions of frustration wrestling Cats into playing nice with w7-64 & ubuntu 9.10...
It's quite unlikely that you will. It happens mostly on PCs, where you frequently switch graphics cards and upgrade to every driver possible (and Betas inbetween). Normal usage should be fine.

(Maybe i should sometimes take my own advice ;))

FWIW, I had the same problem. Went from 9.10 to 9.11 and CCC failed to start.
Same here. I too had to do the whole uninstall, reinstall old driver/CC, uninstall, and finally reinstall again while manually cleaning out leftover crap as I went along.

Another "doh-moment" is (at least on XP) with the AGP hotfix set, whose sole reason to exist is being a non-WHQL driver, failing to install because it's non-WHQL driver.

It's a little disturbing to read about so many driver issues. I'm on the verge of returning to pc gaming after playing consoles for a while & figured a 5870 would be a nice upgrade from my 8600. Now I'm having visions of frustration wrestling Cats into playing nice with w7-64 & ubuntu 9.10...

It always helps to realize that for every negative report you read in a troubleshooting forum, there are probably at least ten people having no problems for every person who reports a problem. People who have no problems rarely speak up to say so, unless it's in response to a post like yours...;)

Like others, I'm scratching my head as to what could be troubling people with "CCC install problems" as I can't recall having such a problem the entire time I've been using the Cats.

There are just so many little details relative to troubleshooting that are often not considered relevant by the people making problem reports--like overclocking or improper driver installs or custom bioses applied, etc.--that troubleshooting often becomes far more difficult and perplexing than it should be.

Well you've got a driver package trying to support XP, Vista and W7...ATI always had issues with uninstalling old drivers, hence the old "drivercleaner" app that used to be free...

Even when you ignore some people having trouble one thing that is true for everyone is the driver panel UI is awfully designed. If you do get an ati card be sure to install ati tray tools right away.

Gone back to standard Flash 10 myself, still too buggy. Was having Firefox crash when trying to view HD content on the BBC iplayer with the Flash 10.1 dll listed as the fauling module in the event log, also for some reason after playing a GPU accelerated flash video my 5870 would no longer return to idle clocks, it wouldn't go any lower than 400 GPU 900 Memory.

ATI always had issues with uninstalling old drivers, hence the old "drivercleaner" app
Not for a very long time.
You just run the Cat installer & it handles removal of old + adding of new.

Not for a very long time.
You just run the Cat installer & it handles removal of old + adding of new.

That's a big improvement. I ran ATI cards from the 8500 until the X1800-XT (flashed to PE) and the last CATs I used still required manual uninstall and it was wise to clean all the ati entries in your registry.

Well you've got a driver package trying to support XP, Vista and W7...ATI always had issues with uninstalling old drivers, hence the old "drivercleaner" app that used to be free...

Wow, I'd almost forgotten about driver cleaner. That app hasn't been needed for over 3-4 years now. :D

Regards,
SB

It's called Driver Sweeper now I think. That app only ever helped me once in all the times I've needed it. Sort of like Windows Recovery(let's hope that feature works better in Win7).

the last CATs I used still required manual uninstall and it was wise to clean all the ati entries in your registry.
Hmm, on XP I used the ATI uninstaller on Add/Remove programs before installing new drivers (can't remember if the auto uninstall of the old lot is a Vista/Win7 thing?).

Last time I paid attention to removal of extraneous bits other than running the uninstaller was when I read an article comparing the completeness of uninstalls of ATI & NV, conclusion was that ATI uninstaller was OK, NV one wasn't.

I seem to recall they did card swaps to test.
ATI -> NV went fine with the NV card running properly, while NV -> ATI bits of NV code left over stuffed the performance until a full clear-out of NV code.
I could be imagining that though, it was years ago :oops:

I remember manually deleting all ATI registry entries between various driver beta leaks back in the "old days" of shooting for 10k 3dmark with an 8500 and an Athlon 1800+, everything overclocked with aftermarket coolers on the 8500. Fast card for its day even if its AF was crap.

Fast card for its day even if its AF was crap.
To me, crap AF on R100 was better than lack of AF (or was it 2xAF?) on NV10/15.

For R200, it was inferior to GF3/4, but much faster. I still prefered it over trilinear (I still see no point at all in running 99% of games at higher resolution without AF), and the huge performance hit on GF3/4 would make even me consider leaving it off.

http://www.techreport.com/discussions.x/18165

Looks like Adobe have cleaned up a few of the issues reported, including blockiness in fullscreen mode.

Still having the flash plugin crash firefox when trying to watch BBC HD in full screen on the iplayer

Code:
Faulting application name: firefox.exe, version: 1.9.1.3622, time stamp: 0x4b16159b
Faulting module name: NPSWF32.dll, version: 10.1.51.66, time stamp: 0x4b293427
Exception code: 0x40000015
Fault offset: 0x001420da
Faulting process id: 0xb5c
Faulting application start time: 0x01ca81026afe5fe5
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash\NPSWF32.dll

Also my video card still gets stuck at what I assume are UVD clocks of 400/900 after viewing a HD flash video using the new plugin, only a reboot fixes this and allows the card to return to idle clockspeeds.

Not sure which of these are ATI bugs and which are Flash 10.1 bugs though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back