No DX12 Software is Suitable for Benchmarking *spawn*

Discussion in 'Architecture and Products' started by trinibwoy, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Malo

Malo YakTribe.games
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

For those who will ask the simple question, here's the answer:

2. DavidGraham

Veteran

BF1 has terrible DX12 performance to this day, and so does BFV, nothing new to see here ..

3. CarstenS

Veteran Subscriber

Lightman likes this.
  4. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Actually PCGamesN beat them to the punch
    https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd-nvidia-battlefield-5-graphics-performance

They compare GTX 1060 6GB and RX 580, which are in general about the same performance. In BFV's current state, RX 580 beats GTX 1060 by notable margins in both 1080p and 1440p

Lightman likes this.
  5. Alessio1989

Regular Newcomer

People still testing DX12-ported engine with high-end CPUs...

6. DavidGraham

Veteran

Even with low end CPUs, the gains are usually non existent to limited.

7. Scott_Arm

Legend

I thought the new apis, like directx12 and vulkan were mostly beneficial for algorithmic flexibility. id basically said Wolf 2 couldn't have been made with OpenGL. So kind of like, until your game abandons dx11/opengl and goes fully into dx12/vulkan, you won't see the benefits.

8. pharma

Veteran Regular

Curious why just DX11/OpenGL? Doesn't the Dx12 version also have to be void of any Vulkan coding to see the "benefits"?

9. Scott_Arm

Legend

I just mean in the sense that DX12 and Vulkan provide flexibility over their previous "high level" apis. So the games that will really take advantage of the new low-level flexibility are the ones that are not designed, architected with the old apis in mind.

10. Alessio1989

Regular Newcomer

I was able to play deus ex mankind divided a high details thanks to the DX12 port on a very old i5 750 (though overclocked at 3.8GHz) and a R9 280X. In DX11 mode it was unplayable. A good DX12 port can significally lower the CPU overhead, which means you will see benefits only CPU limited scenarios. If you want more, the developers have to re-thing completely the game engine and the rendering algorithms, not just making a port adding a D3D12 backend..

11. DavidGraham

Veteran

I am not casting doubts on your experience in any way, but I would have loved a more objective evaluation with proper numbers, maybe results from the built in benchmark, or an in game scene while standing still. The DX11 being unplayable could be the result of a bad driver version.

The issue with Radeons is real, according to PCGH: constant stutters on the RX 580 that are not present on the 1060

pharma likes this.
  12. Malo

Malo YakTribe.games

Interesting that the other two articles are using Ryzen CPUs but Toms doesn't even mention any specifications anywhere that I can see. Given it's Tom's, I assume it's an Intel. You really need full system specs and driver versions though.

pharma likes this.
  13. Anarchist4000

Veteran Regular

I haven't followed the latest numbers, but with all the security fixes for Spectre and Meltdown in place, Ryzen may be the better testing platform. Would be interesting to see if there is a difference using Threadripper with even more cores. I doubt most games scale well enough, but would be interesting for a DX11/12 comparison.

14. Malo

Malo YakTribe.games

Well Battlefield 1 scales very well across multiple cores and loves Ryzen CPUs because of that (64 player, not single player benchmark)

15. Ext3h

Regular Newcomer

Single module Ryzens don't scale bad at all, but I did encounter a couple of weird side effects with the multi-module (Threadripper, Epyc) ones.

For some odd reason, PCIe DMA transfers don't seem to like the default channel interleaving pattern of 256byte stride, all channels across all modules, at all.
    With cross-module channel interleaving, PCIe uploads with PCIe 3.0 16x drop to <9GB/s, and PCIe device to host downloads even drop to 2-3GB/s with massive jitter.
    Doing this with multiple GPUs, downloads even drop as far as only 1-2GB/s per PCIe 16x port, uploads also suffer significantly. Concurrent up and downloads also hurt upload performance.

Keep the system to a single module, or keeping at least limit interleaving to a single module by corresponding BIOS setting, and everything appears to be fine.
    12GB/s full-duplex, completely stable and jitter free (which even Skylake still fails to achieve occasionally). Multi GPU scales up to the available dual channel memory bandwidth.

Limiting interleaving to a single module is hurting memory bandwidth available to CPU work though, as it only behaves like a dual-channel system effectively.

There is a middle way of setting stride to 2kB, keeping it cross-module, that at least brought the download speed back up to ~8-9GB/s. While not hurting performance too much in memory bandwidth dependent applications.

Lightman and BRiT like this.
  16. Tarkin1977

sorry, but you are completely wrong.

You don't speak german, right? He says, gameplay is smooth on the RX 580. The stuttering was only present in the recorded video. caused either by the software they where using, or the alpha version of the game.

Silent_Buddha, Lightman and Kaotik like this.
  17. Samwell

Newcomer

Since when does it even make sense to talk about performance of a 2 day alpha test? Performance will get much more optimized at later stages of the development and still can change dramatically. I really don't understand all these alpha, beta tests of unreleased games. It's ok in early access games, as people can play it at that time, but unreleased games? I don't get it.

Kej, Silent_Buddha, BRiT and 2 others like this.
  18. Alexko

Veteran Subscriber

Page hits?

Kej, Ryan Smith and Putas like this.
  19. troyan

Newcomer

You should play Deus Ex on a nVidia card. DX12 is 33% slower in cpu limited scenarios than DX11. :D

wearthefoxhat likes this.